• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 r.u.m. budget build. best combo for your buck

Mark Fontenot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Louisiana
i would like to build this rifle fro as cheap as i can. to shoot as far as i can, not very far but would like the capability to hit at 1000 yrd+, with around a 220gr, i think but im no expert and would like some ideas on how to achieve this fairly cheap

Re: .300 r.u.m. budget build. best combo for your buck

sooner or later someone will say start with a stevens. i dont know that cartridge your using so i cant give any details. but if it will work with an action stevens sells, you should be able to buy the donor, source a barrel, find a decent stock and put it all together yourself with a new trigger for pretty cheap. just need the headspace gauge and barrel wrench. and an action wrench. and the optics

just looked up that stevens/savage action only found a short action. where should i look? good cheap bbl would be a question too?

try jim at northland. there was a savage 30.06 long action here in the used section a while ago too and i know stevens makes a 30.06 too. as for barrels, there are plenty of prefit savage barrels out there from most of the big makers. with an action wrench, the barrel nut wrench and a headspace gauge, you can do most of it yourself.

start here

here you go ... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2150390#Post2150390

u probably want to find a savage rum action rifle to build on. heck, u might find a 300rum and be happy w it w minimal modification. the standard long actions mag boxes are limited to 3.4" if i remember right, the rum actions are 3.6". the std long actions might be a bit short for a 300rum repeater. these guns were discontinued by savage a couple years back. i called all the gun stores nearby and found a 7mm rum for my 338 rum build. cost me $350. i sold the 7mm rum barrel, added a 28"mcgowen, a muzzle brake, and a stockade stock and had my 338 done for under 1k less optics, rings and base.

u wanna look into the different shank sizes as well for savage actions. either will do, savage built the rums on both, but if u switch barrels ull need to know what u have

lear

Sako 75 barreled action pillar bedded into a McMillan stock with a Vais brake installed.

I have this exact set-up & it shoots very well!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inanimate1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would like to build this rifle fro as cheap as i can. to shoot as far as i can, not very far but would like the capability to hit at 1000 yrd+, with around a 220gr, i think but im no expert and would like some ideas on how to achieve this fairly cheap </div></div>
I hope you have significant trigger time behind a 300 RUM so you know what you are getting yourself into. If shooting prone, you'll need to have either one big artillery piece of a rifle or you'll have to put a heck of a brake on it. If you put a brake on a 300 RUM, you will not have any friends at the range. Also, you will most likely want to reload as good match ammo for the 300 RUM is going to be very expensive if you can find it at all. Is 300 RUM match ammo even made?

That's a heck of a lot of gun just to shoot 1k!

+1
300 RUM is more than enough gun to get that distance. And expensive to boot, you may be better off with a 300wm. way easier on barrel life, shoot the same bullets you mentioned(though still unessesary for the range) and common/cheap to find in either match grade factory ammo or reloading components. There are even cheaper options than that, but you didn't specify the purpose of this rifle other than to make a hit at 1K. If you just want to hit at 1000 you can do that with much smaller calibers cheaper still than the 300wm, but if you plan on killing anything at that range then there is more to discuss.

Yea, the cheapest is definitely going to be working off a Stevens action like the others said. McGowan drop in barrels are fairly inexpensive and are descant quality as of late. Get yourself a choate tactical stock or similar. Definitely get a brake put on it. Sharp shooter supply recoil lug and trigger and voila! You won't necessarily have to have it trued either. Do all the work yourself.

I do question the caliber you chose though. It is very expensive to shoot with the powder consumption and brass,bullets. Also, the 300 RUM its incredibly barrel hungry. You are looking at 1000 rounds or less before accuracy starts deteriorating. If you load them light and don't shoot several shots consecutively then maybe a bit longer.

To answer your question best as possible, you should probably try and tell us what you plan on using this gun for so we know what type of action your going to need. If your going to want to use a DBM then you'll probably be better off going with a Remington donor 300RUM action. I shoot a 300 RUM and I really hope you have at least shot one before you buy it. It's a hard hitting SOB. I don't even shoot mine at any range except at 1000yd. I keep my 6.5 for everything from 100yd to 1000yd too. If you only want to shoot paper I would strongly recommend a 6.5 or 7mm cartridge. It's a lot nicer on the shoulder, wallet, and barrel. My 6.5 is awesome at 1000yd and doesn't give up much to the 300. The main reason I have my RUM is to switch to the 338 EDGE once I burn the barrel up. I would recommend just going 338EDGE if your going to do a custom build. The barrel cost will be the same and your going to need a brake on either of them and the brass is the same. The EDGE has better ballistics than the RUM and for the same price. In a 10 mph wind, the EDGE has 1 MOA less wind drift and .75 MOA less drop than the RUM. at 1000yd 1 MOA is over 10 inches. That's a huge difference.

ok guys, I don't know some of the teq. ? that was asked. I liked what i read about the JP muzzle break, it looks diff too, witch is a plus. whats the best barrel life you could exspect with out pushing the limits of the casing? the use of this rifle, stress relief, rather it would be a jug at 20 yrds or 1k yrds, or a hog, elk ,bear...list goes on . rum would take care of a wide range of game. just dont know much about the specific parts. I am mechanically inclined with vehicles (G.M.) I have just been away from guns for ten yrs. economy crappy so ,go for a budget build

This may not be the route you're looking for, but when I was at Euro Optics last week, the had a NIB Remington 700 SS SPS in .300 RUM really cheap (I think it was around $500). You could alway upgrade things as $ allows.

Not to be rude, but .300 RUM and budget don't go together. I can somewhat understand the appeal, but when you look at what a budget build will save you on initial invesment, you'll see that it pales in comparison to the long-term cost of shooting .300 RUM versus some more common/affordable caliber.

I'd strongly encouage you to look at .308, and even more-so at .30-06, which is experiencing a rebirth with some of the heavier new .30 caliber projectiles. Even a .300 Win would be overkill for what you're attempting, but it'd still be cheaper than the RUM.

-matt

I love my 300 RUM for playing around with but I have to tell you, even with a heavier stock, a McRee, after shooting a few rounds through it, beats the living crap out of me. I bought mine from a friend as a Rem 700 sendero. I changed it out to the Mcree stock for more stability, weight and a detachable mag system. It shoots great but packs a wollop, especially in the summer time at the range when not wearing anything but a T shirt or something. If you are going to shoot it, might as well use the 208gr amax's. Mine loves em.

i understand that its not cheap by all means. Im looking into reloading my own ammo. I've read that you can reload for around .75 cents per round. I'm not planning on going shoot this gun often so ammo is not what im worried about. Now on the .308 and .30-06 great guns but i want more power, this coming from a guy that has always ripped motors out of my vehicles to give them more umph. I know they are used and loved by many, i just want more bang and range for my buck. The shoulder will stop hurting sooner or later. I cant exspect too much damage on the buisness end with out any discomfort on my end.

What are you using the gun for? I've owned 2 300rums, looking to build another, and currently own a 338rum.

I'll agree with others though, if you're not hunting with it or doing much shooting over 1000. There are a lot better choices out there. Especially if you're just getting into this.

Inanimate,
I have 2 300 rums with brakes built by RWS on the Hide here. I have a 300wm with the same brake. I cannot tell a difference in the recoil. I understand I am shooting 20 more grains of powder, but I can't tell a difference. Neither kick that hard.

If you aren't going after large animals at long range, I would stick with the 300wm. My rums are great, but cost about 25cents more a shell with higher brass cost and more powder. 300wm is more than enough for 1000yds.

I've had a love-affair with the RUM since they came out . I bought a 700 LSS as a hunting rifle in 300RUM , then picked up a 700 Sendero , also in 300RUM

What I have now is my economy bench gun . I found a used 700 BDL stainless in 7mm RUM for $400. Then I found a Shillen select match , fluted , Sendero profile, pre-chambered for $300 , my smith and I fitted it with no work . He threaded the barrel for a JP Brake and I bought a brand new Bell and Carlson A-5 stock for about $400

shootmemorialfriday010-1.jpg

I love the JP brake , the rifle feels like shooting a 308 or 06 now , and the adjustable stock is very comfortable .