• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Rum Loads

Some Day

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
PA
Going to use 208/210 grain bullets.anyone like to share there favorite recipes. thanks for any help you guys cane give me.

Wow. No one?

I am playing with my RUM now. I have exactly 10 rounds through the barrel. I loaded up 20 today to shoot an OCW load workup, I am shooting 180gr SMK's over retumbo. I am not going for blazing speed, just shooting for a safe load.

I'll let you know as I develop this.

Sean

About a month ago I ran a ladder for my 700 SPS using 185 dual-ogive VLD's seated .005" off, and found that 97.5 of Retumbo yeilded 3225ish fps (425' elev, 70*F) and .6 moa at 200yds.

Unfortunately the Retumbo ran out, and the only suitable powder I could find for 50 miles in either direction (Roseburg has already lost one gun shop due to lack of product on the shlef) is a can of US869 that I'm going to work with this weekend. Will update with results.

Happy shooting,

BBB

Thanks guys I got twenty five rounds loaded up with RL25 with five different loads just kissing the lands.William built my rifle had to send the cheek piece back to have him cut it out for my bolt to clear.I've had it for two months now haven't put a round down the tube yet.I'm getting really antsy to shoot the new girl got to break the virgin in ya know."LOL"

Ron

Last edited:
I did an OCW workup today with 180SMK's and retumbo.

I shot in 0.4gr increments from 95.5 to 97.1gr's. Loaded to 0.010" off the lands with Rem brass and CCI LR MAG primers.

I shot a total of 19 rounds today. (Thank god for the muzzle brake Don Rabun machined on there for me).

It looks like this thing likes retumbo somewhere between 95.5 and 96.3gr's. I shot one sighter to make sure I was on paper, then I shot three foulers (95.5gr's). They grouped just over 1/2". I shot the rest of the loads using the round robin recommended by Dan Newberry, and the next two heavier charge weights grouped in exactly the same place.

Next, I am going to chose 95.9gr and then I will play with the seating depth a bit to see what happens.

I love this hobby.

Sean
P1030911.jpg

Last edited:
If your work with 180 SMK's and Retumbo was done at 200 yards printing .25MOA, I say quit screwing around with load developement.

If you did this at 100 yds, don't be affraid to stretch out to 200, if the facility permits. This will do two things: A) allow for a bit more of a group-center spread on the target, yeilding a more precise OCW; and B) it will REALLY show the difference in seating depth effect on group size. Also, this is when I usually start puting them over a Chrony, zero the rifle on target, and recording baseline weather data in detail. Usually isn't any load-developement to do afterwords.

Please keep posting with more juicy details as developement progresses.

BBB

This was at 100 yards off the porch on the side of my garage. Where my rifle sits in the picture is where I shoot from.

I agree, I will play at the range and stretch it out a bit as I play with seating depth. More to follow...

208 a-max 88gr. H1000 215 primer.. shooting 2985 fps.. plenty room left to soup it up...but it shoots great in my 700P..... clover leaf one hole groups at 200 if i do my part..
shoots good out past 1000.....

What's the barrel twist on your sticks guy's.Khdudley how far off the lands are you seated and what brass are you using.Thanks guys for your load work up you put on here.

I'm currently running a 28" hart 1-10 twist barrel, feeding it 208 amax/210 bergers in remington/nosler brass with fed 215 match primers lighting 86.5 gr. H1000 for 3090fps average. It's a tight chambered barrel and it's FAST! I previously used the above with 92.3gr. Retumbo in a Hart barrel to get to 3250 or so. This barrel likes the H1000 better and will get into the mid 3200's when loaded for speed.

I'm still shooting the factory barrel on mine.... brass is remington... i have picked up a box of the nosler "custom" brass but haven't worked any with it yet...
as far as the lenght... no idea how far off the lands.. just got them short enought to got in the box mag...

My .300RUM has turned into a single shot due to my COAL that works best.

Remington brass
Remington 9 1/2 Mag primers
88.0 Gr. RL22
175 Gr. Barnes LRX
3.844 COAL (about .0055 from lands)
26" factory barrel Rem 700 on B&C Medalist stock & KDF brake
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50
3361 avg. fps through a chrony (all within 7 fps)
.417" 3 shots @ 100 yds
75* @ 1586' AMSL, 5 mph +/- 10% humidity

AN EXERCISE IN FRUSTRATION-OR- AN ESSAY ON MY ETERNAL SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT 300RUM LOAD

Two weekends ago I ran a ladder test using 185 VLD Hybrids (3.800 OAL)/F215s/US869 (102.0=>107.0 grs). At 200 yds the entire spread was 2moa vertical x 1moa horizontal. A nickel would have covered charges 104.0, 104.3, and 104.6 POI holes. No high-pressure signs apparent.

Yesterday returned to the range to try to repeat this (thinking I had found a real sweetheart of a load). Shot 3 seperate 3-shot groups, each target with one round of each load. The result was pathetic. The targets were all 1-2 MOA, none of which formed a nice triangle patern. Was so frustrated that if a person had enough cash on-hand they could have taken the rifle home with them.

Weather was similar both weekends. Maybe this weekend (if the wife approves my range request form) I'll revisit the range with a different approach.

As a side note: load 104.0 clocked around 3100fps, 104.3=3120, and 104.6=3130.

BBB

300 ultra loads

Remington case
Federal 215 mag match primer
88.5 grains of H1000
FPS 2950
Base to Ogive 3.989
Berger 215 hybrid
Remington 700 sendero
26" tube with vias brake
Shoots well good enough for,me
3 shots @ 100 one hole :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
300 RUM at the range

I got the ok from HH6 to go to the club today to air out the 300 rum to 600 yds. I was still testing loads, so I didnt get off the bench. Next trip is going to take me prone out to 800yds.

Using Retumbo, I loaded three rounds each of 95.5gr, 95.9gr, and 96.3gr. OAL was 3.515" with Rem brass, 142 SMK's and CCI LRM primers. This was twice fired brass. I shot a few rounds the other day and expect I am getting in the neighborhood of 3200fps with this load.

I think this rifle is a shooter, the trigger puller on the other hand needs some work. I had a shot that I pulled on group B, I called it low right, so I am thinking that explains the "huge" size of the B group.

I would fire the three rounds for each group with lots of time for the barrel to cool, then go check the target to see what was going on and mark the group so I wouldnt be confused with the next group. I also adjusted the dope on my scope after each group, so that explains why the groups are moving around on the target.

I notice all groups have at least twice as much vertical as they do horizontal. I need to work on that, any thoughts? I am working this load up with the intentions of shooting out to a mile with it, so the vertical is something I need to work out before making the jump.

All in all, it was a good day.

Attachments

• 300 rum tgt pic.jpg
    300 rum tgt pic.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 300 rum tgt pic.jpg
    300 rum tgt pic.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Think I found my load yesterday:
-Rifle:
Remington 700 (factory 300 RUM barrel w/ brake installed)
Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP/ XLR reticle
Boyds Tacticool stock (bedded with Acraglass)

-Load:
Rem brass trimmed to 2.850"
Federal 215 primers
104.2 grains of US869
185 grain Berger Hybrid VLD's seated at 3.900 OAL (.010" off)

-Conditions
Distance: 200 yards (shot from the club's loaner bench rest/rear bag)
Wind: 1-3 mph from 7 o'clock
Time: 12:30 pm
Altitude: 425'
Temperature: 72*
Humidity: 62%
Pressure: 30.02"

Notes:
Worked up a ladder test the other week, and headed back yesterday to play with different seating depths. The barrel was stripped clean, free of carbon and copper, prior to leaving the house. These are the first 3 shots from a squeaky clean barrel (cold bore shot included).

Called shot #1 as X and saw through the spotting scope that POI was towards the 10 o'clock edge of the target. Called shot #2 as X, but couldn't see the POI through the mirrage (even if I missed the Shoot 'N See, figured I could've seen the bullet hole in the paper). Called shot #3 as X with the same result as #2. Getting worried that soemthing might have rattled loose, I checked the rifle and found everything was solid. The next best thing to do would be to wait for a cold-range and walk to check the target.

Sure enough, the calls were spot on. Never figured that the rifle/load would produce results like that! Developement complete!

Last edited:
Well, I got out yesterday and shot a few more reloads. With this round I had varied the seating depth in an attempt to get rid of the vertical I was having trouble with at 600 yds. I varied the seating depth from 0.010" from the lands into the lands by 0.010" in 0.005" increments. Nothing seemed to work well. One group seemed to shrink a bit, but it was still twice as tall as it was wide.

At this point I am considering bedding my action. I have had it torqued to 50 in-lbs in the hopes that I wouldnt need to bed it. I think I am going to bed this thing and see what happens. If anyone has any ideas, let me know how to cure vertical.

On the plus side, I was shooting yesterday late in the day with the sun behind my back. White paper, on black target backers and I was able to observe bullet holes. My Millett LRS is impressing me more and more.

Went out yesterday and shoot some rounds.First time out with the new black beast love it.Used Reloader 25 and 0.005 off the lands. Shoot three rounds of each 88.5,90, five shoots with 90.5 all one shoot holes so far still got more load testing to do.William builds hell of a rifle.

Just got done putting more rounds through her .Reloader 25, 91.,91.5 grs five rounds each shes still cutting.No pressure signs any where.Put the last round down range and it started to poor cats and dogs got my ass soaked.Got to work up some more loads to try.using knew Nosler brass,9 1/2m rem primers and OJ 4115, Berger vld hunting bullets 210 grs.Soon as my son comes home i will have him show me how to post pic.Not to computer savy yet.Any one else useing Reloader 25

95. grains reloader 25,180 gr. accubond,215 primer.As long as mag.will allow.1/2 to 3/4 inch groups

Slapped together some spare parts...

Rifle:
-Rem 700 sps w/ brake
-Vortex Viper HS-LR 6-24x50 w/ XLR reticle
-Boyds Tacticool stock, bedded in Acraglass

Load:
-140 gr Nosler Custom Competition (have a bunch in reserve for the M1A SM) seated at 3.600"
-95.0 grs of H4831sc (half pound a buddy had laying around)
-Rem brass
-F215 primers
-3411 fps (average of 9 rounds)
-when confirming load, laid down three 1-inch/3-shot groups at 200 yds.

Who'd have thought...

BBB