• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 ultra mag

Re: 300 ultra mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nlee318</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats your favorite performing "factory" 300 RUM ammo for big game? </div></div>

can you tell us what type of big game you are after mule deer or moose
if it was mule deer of antelope the factory cor-lokt will work fine
if it was a moose i would recoment the swift a frame and elk the swift scirocco

deerkllr,
I have had a 300UM for about 7 years. It is all stainless which
I think helps a little with the barrel life and I adhere closely to the three rouds and cool theory. If I don't I will end up burning the P*SS out of myself, since the rifle is a sporter and has a rather slender 26" barrel. I just started tracking the number of rounds through my rifles last year when I got serious about long range accuracy but I know how much I shoot. I would put my round count at about 500. Hell, I just got the gun shooting well this year. I would not be overly concerned with the barrel life issue if you are a weekend and hunting season shooter like me. The recoil, powder consumption, etc will limit your shooting for you most likely! Keep the majority of your trigger time dedicated to a more economical round like 243, 308 etc and practice practice practice!

deerkilr, To answer your question, there is no comparison. The 300 RUM can be made to be a 1500 yard rifle. The 300 wsm can not. There is a solid 300-400 fps difference in the velocities of these two. Both are great rifles and very accurate rifles for what they are designed to do. But there is no comparison. I have both and shoot both regularly. The 300 RUM will compete with the big 338's at long range game with proper bullets. The 300 RUM is a pleasure to hunt with and like the guy said, it is a bad SOB. It must have a brake for accurate long range shooting. The 300 wsm does not.