• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Ultra Stuck Cases

win.308stealth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
fosston mn
I reload for my .300 Ultra. The last two reloads I just sized the necks, and the last reload I annealed the cases. They were trimmed to correct dimmensions. I load 210 gr. Berger VLD's with 89.5 gr. of Retumbo. I seat them to be just off the lands. I shoot a stock Rem. 700 Police. I get great groupings (.75 to 1 in. 5 shot group @100 yards). But ocassionally, a case gets stuck, and I need a cleaning rod to remove the case. Just wondering what is causing the stuck cases, and what I can do to prevent that.

thanks.

Re: .300 Ultra Stuck Cases

Lessee...cases are so sticky they need a cleaning rod to get 'em loose. Only thing that has happened is they have been fired. ... Either your charges are too hot or your groups are too small?

IF the charges are too hot the usual cure is to reduce them some way
smile.gif

Can you post pictures of the brass? Please include picture of neck, body, above the belt, and the primer. Also include a picture of your boltface....yeah...not asking much.
smile.gif

The brass will tell the story.

Throw your neck die in a deep dark hole out of reach and start FL sizing your cases with a properly set up die and see if your problems don't disappear. Worked for me.

Yes it is possible you have some hot loads but when I quit trying to neck size large cartridges it fixed my problems with this.

Since it seems like you have used this load for sometime with no issues or at least sparse issues I would definitely try FL sizing some of the brass to see if that helps. If it doesn't, back your load down for sure.

You don't sound like you should be to hot, 89gr retumbo and 210's sounds like a more than reasonable recipe but then again all guns are different.

I load 230's up with 91.5 H1K, I neck size for 3 loads but after that i have to FL them otherwise they get sticky. After FL they are gtg and then i can neck size for another 3 firings generally.

Thanks guys. I will FL size them this next time. It was in the 90's F. when I did the shooting. Maybe the warm weather spiked the pressures.

I used to run retumbo in my RUM until this last batch I bought. My accuracy load stuck cases all the sudden and a few shots over the chrony told the story. I had to drop from 91 gr down to 86 to get back down to 3150. I switched to H1000 and the problems disappeared. I've heard from several others lately having the same problem with new batches of retumbo. It's a shame 'cos it was a laser with it but if the powder isn't going to have a semblance of consistency from lot to lot, i won't be using it. Sticking with H1000 for a bit now..

Good thing I did not pick up that 8 lbs jug of Retumbo. Guess I might have to look at another powder.

I would say that you just cannot assume every lot of Retumbo is identical. You should work up with every new jug. Especially "just off the lands". They usually take precautions with their quality control, but personally, I never assume they are the same, lot to lot.
BB