• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 Weatherby worth souping up??????

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
hey guys kinda new to this have a tikka 270 brought out to 600 looking to go farther and still have takedown power. would a weatherby mark 5 300wby magnum be a good long range gun. by this i mean is it worth buying a tac scope, muzzle brake and getting the trigger job that it needs.

Re: 300 Weatherby worth souping up??????

i have been elk hunting once and i dropped a elk with a 300 wby mk v at 438 yds. not exactly long range shooting but not short either. i put a 180gr barnes in his neck and it defintally did the job.

imo if you are looking for long range hunting there is noting wrong with the 300 wby. if you are loolong for long range shooting look else where.

when you say look elsewhere for long range shooting... is that because it is not accurate enough, or just because of the price of ammo?

I have one Im working on now just put a timnney featherweight trigger in it today, got it from midway. If you get the accumark it comes with a muzzel brake. I like it

I have one Im working on now just put a timnney featherweight trigger in it today, got it from midway. If you get the accumark it comes with a muzzel brake. I like it

I have a 30-378 in the shop right now getting set up with a new 30" barrel and muzzle brake. I think they are worth souping up but thats me. Looking at doing some long range work with it. Just depends on how far you are willing to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when you say look elsewhere for long range shooting... is that because it is not accurate enough, or just because of the price of ammo? </div></div>

i said look elsewhere mainly because hunting you will shoot once mabye twice, but long range shooting involves alot more rounds down range in one sitting and your sholder will thank you.

aas far as cost of ammo im going to assume that you will be reloading for it so ammo wont be that bad

Hell yes that bad boy is worth it. That action is an excellent action that was designed specifically for big weatherby rounds. I had a remmy built around the 300 wby round and it was an excellent rifle. Just understand to get the most long range preformance you will have to reload. I know of no factory ammo offerings that utilize the good high BC bullets like 208 AMAX or 210 Bergers.

Best group ever was 3" at 885 yards. It consistantly shoots 200 grain Accubonds into under .4" at 100 yards. Since they were working so well I decided to switch it over to 210 Bergers. They were working good until I got distracted by the 338 Lapua bug and have since been wasting all my time with that thing. I love Accumarks. I have 3 of them. No need to waste money on buying a trigger for one. The factory one will adjust right down to 6 or 7 ounces if you want to go that light. Mine are all set at 15 ounces.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this round is a great round for reaching out...might be a little on the too powerful side for woodchucks
smile.gif