• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 Win Mag....... My first rifle

scott8181

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
NE, GA
Shilen 26" stainless steel bull barrel with a jeweled trigger set at 2.5 pounds. Savage tactical stock with a Millet 4-16x50 tactical scope. This is my best friends brothers first ever custom made rifle.
SNIPERRIFLE1009.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/scott8181/SNIPERRIFLE1008.jpg
SNIPERRIFLE1007.jpg
SNIPERRIFLE1004.jpg

Re: 300 Win Mag....... My first rifle

Thats a nice looking stick for a first build, what caliber is it in?

Also, i believe the stock is a choate ultimate varmint.

It is in 300 win mag and I believe you are right being the varmint stock. Got mixed up, that is what he had on his rifle was the tactical and he put the varmint stock on mine.

Nice start. Next would be to upgrade to stock and get a muzzle brake.

I'd second the muzzle brake, it would make shooting the gun a lot easier.

I feel pretty good the way it is now. The only thing I will probably do next is to parkerize it and make it a solid black or have a new complete paint job on it. Might change the scope as I get better as I progress more and more at long range.

Very nice rifle! I too just built my second bolt action rifle in 300 Win mag. (my first rifle is an american classic styled 243 Winchester) My 300 WM is my first tactical long range weapon and my first action truing job. I havent put it on paper yet as Im still breaking in the barrel. How heavy is you friends brothers rifle? Mine is 16 pounds and recoil is very mild. If his has a good heft to it the recoil should be manageable. And if its uncomfortable throw a muzzlebrake on it but remember to wear earplugs when shooting a braked 300 WM. They are loud as hell with a brake. Enjoy shooting it!

Honestly I don't flinch at all when I shoot it. My only problem is on some days I just can't get relaxed to shoot it no matter how much I slow my breathing down. I get to thinkin too much and feel like I am gonna shoot a benchrest scud missle with a pistol grip. But then I can calm down and shoot.

So far this is the best group shot I have done with handloading for this rifle. Just need more practice.
SNIPERRIFLE1011.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nice shooting! Your scope rings look a little high. I'd probably look at getting some low rings. </span>

Agree with SBD47. Lower rings will give you a better cheek weld and that will help you settle in to your crosshairs better. None the less, nice shooting with your rig the way it is.

The rings do look a little bit high, but when I shoot it. Everything feels right to me as everything is where it should be.

not bad for a first build get some lower scope rings you want your scope as close to your bore line as u can get it without touching or getting in the way of ejection

if it feels good go with her, the stock doesnt look like the Chaote im use to.

index.jpg

who makes it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it feels good go with her, the stock doesnt look like the Chaote im use to.

index.jpg

who makes it? </div></div>

Thats the ultimate sniper stock by choate, the one in the OP is the ultimate varmint stock by the same maker.

I love my 300 WM too, but boy, a muzzle break would probably make that nice looking rig of yours much more friendly.

Believe it or not, the damn thing is so heavy. You would think that it would kick like a mule. Surprisingly it don't kick hard at all. The overall length is right at 48".