• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag or 338 Lapua?

BenelliHunter

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2012
Roanoke VA, USA
I currently have a Custom 50 BMG built off of McMillan Action, Bartlein Barrel that is chambered for the Barnes Bore Rider's so it is not like I have to have a mile plus gun. I feel the "need" for another custom gun. I already have the dies, brass and bullets for the 338 Lapua as I made a mistake and bought a Savage a couple of years ago. After a year of dealing with stuck cases and poor accuracy it moved on.

I am debating building a 338 or a 300 Win Mag. In all honesty I have no place to shoot further than 1500 yards and that is even a fiasco. 1000 is probably more like it. (I built the .50 for an egg shoot at 500 yds on a whim) I want a super, incredibly accurate gun and the groups I see on here from 300's are typically much tighter out to 500 or so yards than the 338. I hate 7mm for no reason whatsoever and I see some great groups with 7mm's....... What would you build? Would you build a 300 Win Mag that is built to shoot 220 SMK's? I have two Sendero's in 300 Mag now but I want a real dedicated sniper type rifle that is dead nutz accurate.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Quite personally, I prefer the Win-Mag for a few reasons.

Realistically speaking, if you're going to engage a target within 1k, the Win-Mag is just the ideal round. Even out to 1500, I'd take the win mag all day.

It's cheaper. -- WAY cheaper, especially once you start reloading, over the 338.

If you get something like a Socom 762-RC you can use one suppressor for your .30's and 5.56s...

I had an MRAD back in the day and it left me wanting...Granted there's no where in my area to REALLY stretch it's legs, I was just not that impressed.

I will agree with the above. 300wm all day long, and twice on Sunday over the 338. But if you're set on a lapua there is a pretty good buy on a beanland built rifle in the classifieds.

i have both and agree with the above go with a good well built 300 win mag. i shoot 230 bergers in mine and it is outstanding to 1k and then the 338 will take over and give it all it wants after that but it still holds it's own out to a mile the 300 that is. the 300 win. is much easier to shoot, cheaper to shoot and components are easier to get. just my 0.02

300WM > 338 Lapua

I never got into the 338 much past reading and pondering. After I began weighing the costs to shoot the damn thing, I quickly moved on. Such a waste.

Build the 300. Youll have 100 shots were a 300 will do the job. Youll have 1 shot to where you MIGHT need a 338. Not worth it. Keep it real.

I decided to go with the .300 win mag after doing research for about a year. I came to the same conclusion that the above posters wrote. I have no reservations about my decision.

When Sako changed the trigger design on the TRGs, I decided to get one of the final 338 42s with the old design to pair with my TRG22. It's been sitting unfired in my vault for 2 years. I shoot my 308s and 300WM all the time, but just don't seem to find a reason to fire the 338 at paper. If I needed to blast through concrete blocks, I may feel differently.

If it is a question then perhaps you need both. You can have both with either a MRAD or a AXMC. With a switch barrel chassis you will only need one scope, bipod, sling ect...

way cheaper? I am loading 338lm for a buck a shot. Heck you can't find fgmm for that cheap. Sure 300wm is cheaper but not much. If you do not reload stick to the 308 or in the case of the op the 50.

Quite personally, I prefer the Win-Mag for a few reasons.

Realistically speaking, if you're going to engage a target within 1k, the Win-Mag is just the ideal round. Even out to 1500, I'd take the win mag all day.

It's cheaper. -- WAY cheaper, especially once you start reloading, over the 338.

If you get something like a Socom 762-RC you can use one suppressor for your .30's and 5.56s...

I had an MRAD back in the day and it left me wanting...Granted there's no where in my area to REALLY stretch it's legs, I was just not that impressed.

I'm having the boys at Short Action Customs build me a .300 win mag long range hammer. 28" Bartlien barrel throated for the heavies and you will be a happy man. Good to a mile +.

I have a 300WM and a 338 Norma is in the works. In all honesty everytime I shoot the 300WM mag with a 215 Hybrid I question my need (read want) for a 338.

Have you thought about splitting the difference and doing a 300 Norma Mag set up for the 230 Hybrid?

Lol, I should have stayed off this forum! I ended up buying the Beanfield 338 and an Accuracy International .300 Win Mag out of the classifieds on here yesterday. That was one expensive post!

Last edited:
From the little i know the 300 WM will be very close to the 338 Lapua down range. I have both rifle and I like the 300WM much more as I can afford to actually shoot it (don't reload yet).

Well being you got both I would say you really are an addict know hahaha :D
I personally got a 300wm first. Now will be in the process of saving for a .338 Lapua for the extreme long range.
Not that the 300wm can't do some extreme stuff but a .338 Lapua would do it with less effort I would say.
Either way post reports when you get everything situated and out to the range. :)

Get yourself a Desert Tech SRS in .300 WM. Then when you are ready or wanting the .338 LM, all you need to do is pick up a conversion kit.

Reactions: DesterStorm
I bought the Accuracy International AW 338 LM and magasin, bolt and barrel in order to be able to switch to .300 Win Mag. Once the .300 Win Mag came on it never came off again. I love my gun and think my options are open to any situation since I can change it to 338LM, but I think it's gonna be awhile before that happens.

By the way, what's your best load for Berger 210 vld target? (for .300 WinMag)

Last edited: