• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag Quick Load, Help

Papamo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
Nevada
Asking for some help, from members with Quick Load to see if my test load is over pressure, 300 win mag
Federal brass
200gr smk
75.5 gr Retumbo
215m
3.447 OAL
Barrel is a 1-10 twist. 27" long

Not even close to over-pressure ...

1640291169453.png

Rustyinbend, thanks for running that for me.
Im just seeing a lot more FPS than what the book shows.

My experience is that will happen even with QuickLoad, until you get precise with all the entering arguments like H2O capacity, seat depth, etc. The more precise I am with all those editable fields, the closer my actual velocity is to the numbers derived in QL. I'm usually less than 20fps off when I meticulously enter the actual cartridge data.

BTW ... my base load for 300-WM is:

Peterson brass
Accurate MagPro 78.4gr
Fed 215M
Berger 200.20x LRHT
Seat .65
Neck .2630

Gives me SD's of 7-ish and tight groups. Shot sucessfully and hit steel out to 1-mile. Good luck ... keep seeking the perfect load.

Reactions: TACC
Rustyinbend, thanks for running that for me.
Im just seeing a lot more FPS than what the book shows.
Quick load is an educated guess, nothing more. Work up to pressure or to a velocity that works for you, which ever you hit first.

Measure your unfired cases at the base of the case web just above the belt, fire then measure again to detect pressure. Expansion .0005 or more is indicative of pressure/over pressure.

ETA: 300 wm brass varies in case capacity across the various manufacturers and that must also be taken into account which I don’t see in that quick load print out.

I'll measure a few and see what the casings are doing, I'm not seeing any signs of pressure on the case as in bolt swipe, or cratered primers , heavy bolt lift. Thanks for the help and info