• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Winmag Tactical Rifle Build?

shark101au

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
Disclaimer - I'm pretty new to bolt action long range rifles, but want to build something I can keep for a while and can learn on.

For the past few months I've mulling over getting a nice bolt action M24 style rifle built. I want something with a traditional look, has great accuracy (preferably 0.5 MOA, better than my current abilities) and with the ability to knock down steel and medium to large game over 1000 yards. I also want it to retain it's value as much as possible, in case I ever want to switch it out.

As with some others on here I'm all about searching for the parts and hopefully getting the best deal. I've been in contact with GA Precision which is local to me about having them put it together for me with the parts I'll supply. Gotta say great people to deal with.

Part of the reason for buying the parts (and this probably sounds silly to some), is I prefer to buy things as cash becomes available rather than save up or plonk down $4000-5000 on a credit card.

With all that being said, my background is with AR style rifles. The 2 rifles I have are a PWS Mk116 and a 216, I have never shot a 300 Winmag. I've taken the 216 out to 700 yards plinking steel, but that's it.

That being said this is what I've come up with so far, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on all aspects of this build.

1. Action, after doing some research the Defiance Deviant Tactical long action - $1300-1400. Do I need the .750 bolt face for this? Also as this will probably be my first purchase, if I changed my mind and went with 338 LM, could I use this action as well?

2. Barrel - It seems the top choice here is a Bartlein Barrel 26 inches in length. I assume a straight or slightly tapered profile would be best. Would it be worth fluting it? They seem to be around $350-400. What is the best type of rifling 5R?, what's the best twist 1/10? I'll be using bullets in the 175-220gr range.

3. Stock - I'm looking for something adjustable. The M24 H-S Precision ($600-700) comes to mind. What are the best options here? is the 300 Winmag too much gun for the McMillan M24A5 stock? the Remington RACS chassis looks interesting but at $4500, is far too much for me.

4. Optics - I currently have a Steiner Military 3-12x56, will probably look to a 5-25 T5xi when they come out.

5. Bi-pods - Harris or Atlas

6. Trigger - maybe a Jewel, i don't have much experience here, not sure if its worth the money or not. I run Geissele triggers in my ARs and like them.

7. Muzzle Break - Once again no experience here, all suggestions are welcome. I guess I'd be looking at something which reduces recoil more than noise and flash suppression. I would like to get a suppressor sometime down the track as well.

Anything I've missed?

As far as actions go the defiance is as great action. Don't overlook the Stiller Tac300.

2- bartlein is a good barrel maker for sure, but most of the barrel makers out there make good barrels such as kreiger, rock creek, benchmark. Just call a couple of builders and see what they use. The 5r barrel is good, although I don't know if you can really tell a difference from a standard 4 barrel in a custom rifle. I like 26in barrels on 300wm.

3. I like the Mcmillan a5 style of stocks, you are going to get a hundred opinions on stocks. Just get something with a adj cheek piece.

Bipods---either will work great

Muzzlebrakes- just get one that is timed for 3 & 9. I take it you will be shooting a lot in the probe position. You don't want dust kicked up in your face from the muzzle brake all the time.

I would caution you though. If you have never shot a 300wm go shoot one a few times. Find a buddy and burn a box or 2 of ammo. Big calibers have a lot of recoil and can cause bad habits. You might look at the 7mm rem mag, better ballistics and less recoil.

My friend's 7 mag custom build is showing up at his doorstep today. He had RWS build it off his R700 action which will do everything he needs it to. Even my 338 Lapua was built on a R700 action which is fine with me, some people just really prefer the custom actions. I myself will most likely be using a Stiller or Defiance for my 6.5 build, just to see if they are really worth it.

All that being said, wanna buy mine?! :D

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-precision-built-r700-custom-300-win-mag.html

+1 on the TAC300 action. IMO, the AIAX chassis does what the RACS does, but at a better price.

Action: The Deviant is one bad bitch. The last rifle I had built was actually a .300 on a deviant. AIAX chassis, Obermeyer BBL, FTE brake. Heavy but recoil is VERY managable.

Barrel: I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the top tier makers, i'd honestly opt for which every one that is in stock. I ran 1-10" twist. I prefer the Sendero - AMU profiles.

Stock: I'm also a McM A5 fan, those ergonomics suit my build the best I guess. I also have 2 manners T-5A's.

Optics: Steiner is supposed to be good chit, I don't have any experience with them but based on feedback, you should be GTG.

Bipod: I'm an Atlas over harris any day of the week type of guy... YMMV

Trigger: I'm a Jewell fanboy, what can I say? I've heard that GAP can work some major mojo on the factory rem triggers too.

Brake: Best way to tame the recoil of your .300 (IMHO). Even my iddy biddy 6mm's wear brakes but there will be more noise, it's a trade off.

I think you've got a pretty solid base.

t

Last edited:
Or you could just buy a AI-AWSM 2.0 pretty cheap right now and have a damn fine tactical rifle. Many have a Bartlein barrel no them by now or have an original barrel with a fine brake on them. Make sure to get the two chamber brake.

Or you could just buy a AI-AWSM 2.0 pretty cheap right now and have a damn fine tactical rifle. Many have a Bartlein barrel no them by now or have an original barrel with a fine brake on them. Make sure to get the two chamber brake.

Now where's the fun in that? :D

BTW, a jewel trigger in a true "tactical rifle" is not a good idea. A bit of sand, dirt, and debris will reek havoc with it.

Can be an issue, not exactly will. At least in my experience. Are they susceptible to dirt? yep. Do they always go down? no. From what I read into the OP, this sounds more of a fun gun than something beaten to death on a tac course.

t

TJ:
I love my jewel triggers, but in my bench guns. I have seen several foul during tactical matches, but not all of them. So I agree with you that it is no guarantee of failure, but why risk failure in a match?

I understand your point & can agree. I would say it's up to the end user, assess the risk & determine if it's worth it to the individual. For what the OP is asking for, I believe the Jewell will work perfectly. If he was asking about setting up a rig as a full blown Tac match rifle, there may be better choices.

t

Thanks for the replies from everyone, it's given me some food for thought. T J is correct with the comment about these being a fun gun. We'll take it out to the farm to shoot.

So with the action Defiance lists some options associated with it.

Options « Defiance Machine Defiance Machine

Could you provide me with some suggestions or explanations as to what some of these options mean.

1. Ejection Port option - Target Port, Hybrid Port, Hunter Port and Sheep Port

2. Rear Tang - Target, Standard and Heavy

3. Bolt Knob - Ball, Tear Drop,Tactical, Long Tactical and Extra Long Tactical - I'm thinking long or extra long tactical

4. Bolt Nose - Cone, Flat and Recessed

5. Bolt Fluting - Shallow Fluting, Standard Fluting, Deep Fluting and Extra Deep Fluting - Thinking standard or deep

2. Barrel -as has been mentioned, a LOT of good barrel makers out there.

3. I like the Manners stocks. Have a T4 and T4A that both fit me very well.

4. Also look at the Vortex Gen2 Razor HD. Great reviews on the 4.5-27x.

6. I have a Timney in my rifle (and Geisseles in all my ARs). Timeny seems to be better for field use, less sensitive to dust and dirt. If you want a true two stage, the CG Extreme is the one I would like to get. X-Treme Shooting - Home

7. Muzzle brake - lots of choices. I like my Schuler. Only $45, super fast shipping and great support. And a Hide member.

First, I would not build a 300WM for your first bolt gun. Do you load your own ammo? If not throw 300WM right out the window.

Second, it would take a fool to pay $600-700 for a HS precision stock when you can get a manners with mini chassis for a couple hundred more. 10x the stock and comes with a better bedding block and a high quality bottom metal.

First, I would not build a 300WM for your first bolt gun. Do you load your own ammo? If not throw 300WM right out the window.

I currently reload for 9mm,40,223.308 and 30-06. Were you just alluding to the price of actory ammo or is there something else?

Second, it would take a fool to pay $600-700 for a HS precision stock when you can get a manners with mini chassis for a couple hundred more. 10x the stock and comes with a better bedding block and a high quality bottom metal.

Could you link to which stock you're talking about? Thanks.

I currently reload for 9mm,40,223.308 and 30-06. Were you just alluding to the price of actory ammo or is there something else?

Could you link to which stock you're talking about? Thanks.

More availability of quality match ammo than pricing. The 208 Amax and 200+gr bergers are where it's at for LR shooting and nobody loads those except custom ammo makers which are retarded expensive.

I would still forget about shooting game with it until you have a lot of experience under your belt in which case I would look at a more reasonable chambering. Any of the 6mm's or 6.5's come to mind.

Check bullets.com and stockysstocks.com for in stock inventory on manners stocks. If you want traditional I'd recommend the MCS-T. Just make sure you get the mini chassis option as a quality bottom metal and a bedding job will cost you much more.

Redneckbmxer24 is spot on. Get something like a 6.5 creedmoor and learn with it. Absolutely no problem getting out to 1200 with the 140 bullets and the ammo is cheaper and easier to find. Plus the barrel should last a good bit longer than the win mag also. In all honesty, it will likely be a while before you are to a point where you will be ready to really hunt out to anywhere near 1k. Wind calls, range, and technique is so much more important at 1k than up close and you really don't want to be off on your call and wound an animal. Lots of great options out there even in factory guns. If you are going to spend the money to go full custom, don't overlook options from AI. Right now the prices a 're pretty competitive and they will shoot right along any of the customs. Just my .02

Redneckbmxer24 is spot on. Get something like a 6.5 creedmoor and learn with it. Absolutely no problem getting out to 1200 with the 140 bullets and the ammo is cheaper and easier to find. Plus the barrel should last a good bit longer than the win mag also. In all honesty, it will likely be a while before you are to a point where you will be ready to really hunt out to anywhere near 1k. Wind calls, range, and technique is so much more important at 1k than up close and you really don't want to be off on your call and wound an animal. Lots of great options out there even in factory guns. If you are going to spend the money to go full custom, don't overlook options from AI. Right now the prices a 're pretty competitive and they will shoot right along any of the customs. Just my .02

Good points. The 300 winmag caliber appealed to me as I wanted something with more power than my 308 AR. I am a beginner with bolt guns and know I'll have to spend significant time to become profficient. That being said, I wanted to get a rifle that I could learn on and keep for some time without having to change out. I also wanted a round powerful enough to punch through steel drums etc at long range (we have a lot of old junk for targets at the farm). I am unfamiliar with the ballistics of the 6.5, so I'll have to read up.

This is probbaly a stupid question for most here, but.......If I bought a Defiance Devant long action could I use it with most calibers? This will be the first component I'll buy, so if I changed my mind about the caliber, I wouldn't have to change outr the action.

Thanks for your help.

This is probbaly a stupid question for most here, but.......If I bought a Defiance Devant long action could I use it with most calibers? This will be the first component I'll buy, so if I changed my mind about the caliber, I wouldn't have to change outr the action.

Thanks for your help.

Cartridges are broken up into roughly 6 basic categories: Short action .223 bolt face/Short action Std bolt face/Short action Magnum bolt face. Long Action Std bolt face/Long action Magnum bolt face/Long action Lapua bolt face.

Depending on what you want to switch to, in theory, yes you could switch. However, if you built a Short action cartridge with a short action rifle, you won't be able to switch to a .300 down the road. You can however, as long as the manufacturer offers, switch a short action bolt out for a .223 bolt or a WSM face that would be re-headspaced to your new barrel.

Same with the long action, you could, as long as you can get the new bolt, build pretty much any long action cartridge from your existing action. Just have your smith throw on a new barrel. If you move from Std to magnum, sometimes the bolt can be opened to mag dimensions if you go Mag to Std a new bolt would be required.

t

Cartridges are broken up into roughly 6 basic categories: Short action .223 bolt face/Short action Std bolt face/Short action Magnum bolt face. Long Action Std bolt face/Long action Magnum bolt face/Long action Lapua bolt face.

Depending on what you want to switch to, in theory, yes you could switch. However, if you built a Short action cartridge with a short action rifle, you won't be able to switch to a .300 down the road. You can however, as long as the manufacturer offers, switch a short action bolt out for a .223 bolt or a WSM face that would be re-headspaced to your new barrel.

Same with the long action, you could, as long as you can get the new bolt, build pretty much any long action cartridge from your existing action. Just have your smith throw on a new barrel. If you move from Std to magnum, sometimes the bolt can be opened to mag dimensions if you go Mag to Std a new bolt would be required.

t

Thanks for the info. I read that the US Army had wanted the M24 chambered for 300 Winmag but had to settle for 308. However they used a long action so they could upgrade the 300 winmag at some time in the future. Was this as simple as changing out the barrel (and bolt face?) ?

You will not need a .750 bolt for the 300 Win Mag it does not hurt anything but weight though.
The Defiance are good actions.
As for the options no one can answer the questions better then the people who make them, send them a mail.

6. A good trigger is surely worth it for a precision rifle, Jewell would not be my first choice though.
CG extreme makes some really nice 2 stage triggers, would be my first pick.
Jewells are nice but if your rifle gets dirty i would stay away.
Timney are good and decently priced.
And there is a lot of other manufacturers for Remington style triggers, many of them is meant only for target guns though.

5. Bipod the Atlas would be my first choice over the Harris, it's got some nice features, it is slower to deploy though.

2. A straight barrel contour will be a beast, and something like a heavy palma or MTU will be more fitting if youre actually going to carry it, certainly when braked the recoil is not too bad either.
As for twist the 1-10 is ideal for using the heavier bullets so not much more to worry about.

3. If you want a traditional type stock with adjustable cheekpiece or butt, for a heavy long barreled rifle, i would take a hard look at the MCM Baker special, it's not one from they're tactical series though being designed for HP.
While the grip is of a more traditional style then the A series, still it differs from a HTG or MCS-T.
It is much shorter and more vertical then the tradional stocks grips, and personally i find it more comfortable then the A-5 and T4 even, it gets my elbow vertical for positional, and puts my trigger finger just in the right spot.
It's available with a 2 or 3 way adjustable butt so you can get a excellent fit. And the clamp bar cheekpiece, witch is a lot better then the saddle type witch tends to come loose, KMW hardware would be even nicer though.

The large mag well area tranistioning over to the large forend makes it very stiff, the forend is long so it gets the bipod further out witch i prefer. The forearm is and it keeps the barreled action low in the stock.
The foream is a wide beavertail type, a bit similar to the A-5 at 2.5 inches width. But it is shallower and has a lot less taper.
So it brings the barreled action very low, and the size brings with it weight so it helps stabilize the riflle better.
It's a really comfortable and nice stock for prone either slinged up, or with rests or bipods.
It works for positional too but, might be better choices if that is your primary goal, its also a lot of personal preference in a stock though.
It's one of my favorite stocks and for a heavy long barreled precision rifle it's a very good option.

If it you were looking for a lighter rifle with less recoil the MCS TA with the chassis is really nice, with a traditional style.

My absolute favorite stock is made by MCM though, Terry Crosses Sentinel, it's a incredibly nice stock, fully adjustable with great hardware, internal dbm similar to the Manners, very rigid forend rails, and a brilliant adjustable cheek. I found it's a really good stock both for positional and prone, I have tried one on a few occasions but do not own one yet.

Thanks for the replies from everyone, it's given me some food for thought. T J is correct with the comment about these being a fun gun. We'll take it out to the farm to shoot.

So with the action Defiance lists some options associated with it.

Options « Defiance Machine Defiance Machine

Could you provide me with some suggestions or explanations as to what some of these options mean.

1. Ejection Port option - Target Port, Hybrid Port, Hunter Port and Sheep Port

2. Rear Tang - Target, Standard and Heavy

3. Bolt Knob - Ball, Tear Drop,Tactical, Long Tactical and Extra Long Tactical - I'm thinking long or extra long tactical

4. Bolt Nose - Cone, Flat and Recessed

5. Bolt Fluting - Shallow Fluting, Standard Fluting, Deep Fluting and Extra Deep Fluting - Thinking standard or deep

I've been contemplating a Deviant also and here is what I've decided on.
Ejection port= Hunter Port

Rear Tang = Target

Bolt Knob = Long Tactical

Bolt Nose = Flat

Bolt Fluting = Standard

That's just my choices based on the caliber ( Magnum ? 7mm or larger ) and the use intended , hunting .

With the caveat that these guys are right: you don't want a .300 until you are very experienced with a .308 or something else, and even then it shouldn't be your only rifle.

That said, I was right where you are with considering a build a while back.

Fuck a build: Sako TRG 42 300 Win Black Fixed Stock Phosphate Metal Finish w/Picatinny Rail

Mine shoots lights out. I have been winning 1k FTR matches with it all summer, and I just took it out to a mile successfully. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a build. If I were going to spend more (and I will, one day) I'd get an AXMC.

Disclaimer - I'm pretty new to bolt action long range rifles, but want to build something I can keep for a while and can learn on.

For the past few months I've mulling over getting a nice bolt action M24 style rifle built. I want something with a traditional look, has great accuracy (preferably 0.5 MOA, better than my current abilities) and with the ability to knock down steel and medium to large game over 1000 yards. I also want it to retain it's value as much as possible, in case I ever want to switch it out.

As with some others on here I'm all about searching for the parts and hopefully getting the best deal. I've been in contact with GA Precision which is local to me about having them put it together for me with the parts I'll supply. Gotta say great people to deal with.

Part of the reason for buying the parts (and this probably sounds silly to some), is I prefer to buy things as cash becomes available rather than save up or plonk down $4000-5000 on a credit card.

With all that being said, my background is with AR style rifles. The 2 rifles I have are a PWS Mk116 and a 216, I have never shot a 300 Winmag. I've taken the 216 out to 700 yards plinking steel, but that's it.

That being said this is what I've come up with so far, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on all aspects of this build.

1. Action, after doing some research the Defiance Deviant Tactical long action - $1300-1400. Do I need the .750 bolt face for this? Also as this will probably be my first purchase, if I changed my mind and went with 338 LM, could I use this action as well?

2. Barrel - It seems the top choice here is a Bartlein Barrel 26 inches in length. I assume a straight or slightly tapered profile would be best. Would it be worth fluting it? They seem to be around $350-400. What is the best type of rifling 5R?, what's the best twist 1/10? I'll be using bullets in the 175-220gr range.

3. Stock - I'm looking for something adjustable. The M24 H-S Precision ($600-700) comes to mind. What are the best options here? is the 300 Winmag too much gun for the McMillan M24A5 stock? the Remington RACS chassis looks interesting but at $4500, is far too much for me.

4. Optics - I currently have a Steiner Military 3-12x56, will probably look to a 5-25 T5xi when they come out.

5. Bi-pods - Harris or Atlas

6. Trigger - maybe a Jewel, i don't have much experience here, not sure if its worth the money or not. I run Geissele triggers in my ARs and like them.

7. Muzzle Break - Once again no experience here, all suggestions are welcome. I guess I'd be looking at something which reduces recoil more than noise and flash suppression. I would like to get a suppressor sometime down the track as well.

Anything I've missed?

Get the .300 Win. Mag. If I hear anything else about these 6 point what ever the fucks I'm gonna puke. I want a rifle to go bang not sound like my girlfriends fart when it goes off. I don't want elk laughing at me when they gets hit with a my Itsy bitsy 6 pussy round. I want It's friend to have a heart attack and die when my 230 grain berger blows a 2 inch exit hole and suck its heart out with it. I don't want my spotter guessing where my last round hit, I want the dirt clods my .300 win mag. throws up to kill a rabbit so I can have some rabbit stew when I'm done shooting. I don't want to hear the tinny little ping of a 6mm hitting steel at 800 yards, when I can hear my .300 win mags 230 grain bullet banging steel at a mile. I want everyone to ask me about the bruise on my shoulder when I'm wearing my muscle shirt at the gym and I can tell all the female gym rats I shoot a .300. You can either be a steak eating beer drinking .300 win mag man or a 6mm dude that eats tofu for dinner, which will it be. Haha

With the caveat that these guys are right: you don't want a .300 until you are very experienced with a .308 or something else, and even then it shouldn't be your only rifle.

That said, I was right where you are with considering a build a while back.

Fuck a build: Sako TRG 42 300 Win Black Fixed Stock Phosphate Metal Finish w/Picatinny Rail

Mine shoots lights out. I have been winning 1k FTR matches with it all summer, and I just took it out to a mile successfully. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a build. If I were going to spend more (and I will, one day) I'd get an AXMC.

I would hope you would win every FTR match with it since it is has half the wind drift of the guys who are actually using the correct cartridges for the TR class.

Get the .300 Win. Mag. If I hear anything else about these 6 point what ever the fucks I'm gonna puke. I want a rifle to go bang not sound like my girlfriends fart when it goes off. I don't want elk laughing at me when they gets hit with a my Itsy bitsy 6 pussy round. I want It's friend to have a heart attack and die when my 230 grain berger blows a 2 inch exit hole and suck its heart out with it. I don't want my spotter guessing where my last round hit, I want the dirt clods my .300 win mag. throws up to kill a rabbit so I can have some rabbit stew when I'm done shooting. I don't want to hear the tinny little ping of a 6mm hitting steel at 800 yards, when I can hear my .300 win mags 230 grain bullet banging steel at a mile. I want everyone to ask me about the bruise on my shoulder when I'm wearing my muscle shirt at the gym and I can tell all the female gym rats I shoot a .300. You can either be a steak eating beer drinking .300 win mag man or a 6mm dude that eats tofu for dinner, which will it be. Haha

My kind of guy!! I shot a 300WM as an only rifle for a while. Still holds a dear spot in my heart. I will NEVER sell mine.

This right here is what I'm talking about! I have 2 bolt guns chambered in .300WM and this is the reason why! It's versatile, hard hitting, a great all around gun, easy to find a box of ammo on any shelf in any small town if you fall in a stream while on a hunting trip and your hand loads go to shit. I really think you'll love a .300 win mag and you'll always want to own one! It's a great starting point and a caliber you'll always have in your collection as you grow!

Ok, here's another thought. I've been in touch with Norm from Defiance machine and he brought up the idea of using a long action with a 308 and a 300 WM bolt and build a switch barrel rifle. Does this sound like a good idea?

Ok, here's another thought. I've been in touch with Norm from Defiance machine and he brought up the idea of using a long action with a 308 and a 300 WM bolt and build a switch barrel rifle. Does this sound like a good idea?

If it were me I would buy one caliber and be done with it. Being new to the bolt action game and new to shooting long range that just adds more complexity. Do you have the tools to switch barrels, or would you have to buy them? I don't know your level Of marksmanship, but more than likely it will take you a long time before you're ready to shoot game at 1000 yards and beyond. I would buy something that wouldn't break the bank to reload. Spend the money on a good midrange caliber, learn the basics, then drop the hammer on a big bore.

Sorry, wiseass. I meant F-Open, but I have shot FTR for the last three years, so it just rolled off the keyboard.

I would hope you would win every FTR match with it since it is has half the wind drift of the guys who are actually using the correct cartridges for the TR class.

I took a 700 P ( after I shot the barrel out) and had the action trued, put a Jewell HVR, a 30" Broughton 5c 1:10, a thruster break, an AICS , badger 20 moa rail. Had it throated for the 230 and 215 bergers. It is a laser beam. However, i had mine built as an alternative to the .338 lapua. At one mile, it's pretty close with the exception of energy.
Also I own a GAP Crusader 6.5 creedmor. It is my favorite by far. I think my expenses were like 420 for the bbl, 85 for the break, 230 for the trigger , 900 for the chassis, already had the base, and 600 for the smithing. Plus about $2100 for scope. Bushnell XRS
Couldn't be happier.

.300 is in the FDE Chassis. Gap 6.5 is next to it.

I should also say that I've been shooting the 215's a lot lately with a stiff load of h1000. Shot the other day at 1330 yards. 10.15 mils to hit with a 100 yard zero. It's running 3015 fps. It actually is flatter at one mile than the 230 hybrid. Also found another good load with Retumbo.