• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WM Rifle Could Use Some Help Choosing

SigsauerP229

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2011
N. NV
Well I'm depressed. I've been putting the coin together to buy a Rem 700 .300 WM that was in an A5 Mcmillian stock off another member from the Hide. After a month the rifle just sold and I even sold a rifle and traded another for a scope that was going on it.

I love the A5 stock with the adjustable stock and I even have a gunsmith putting my .308 700 P in one right now. I figured the .300 would have been the perfect match for it.

So now I'm left with another choice.

Buy a new Rem 700 Police in .300WM and have it put in a A5 Mcmillian stock. It's going to cost me a bit more though now then buying the used one.

My other choice was I planned to buy a Sako TRG-42 in .338 Lapua in the future but now I can't decide. Should I just buy the Sako now and get the .300 WM later as I planned to do with the .338

What would you guys do? Any other choices I should consider over these rifles for .338 or .300WM?

Re: 300 WM Rifle Could Use Some Help Choosing

We all get depressed at some point just remember it's only a rifle.
What are you going to do with this rifle? If you already have a 308 you've got it covered out to 1K yards, so moving up to the 300WM only makes sense if you have that kind of distance to shoot it otherwise you're only turning money into noise.If you DO have 1000+ yards to shoot AND have the skills to use it ( no insult intended)by all means get the 300WM or maybe just skip it and go for the gold....338L.Good luck!

No offense taken at all. I live in N. NV so distance isn't an issue. It's nothing but land here. I won't lie I'm learning still as I have been shooting pistols and mostly iron competitions for years. I have 2 .308's, a 5r milspec 700 and a Police model 700.

Learning some of the long range stuff has always interested me but I never had the cash or drive to get into it until recently. I had a custom .300 WM Sendero years back when I was a teenager but I couldn't afford to feed it even re-loading for it was to costly for me then. That's not as much an issue for me now.

I plan to reload for the 300 and 338 but I want both as I know I still won't shoot the 338 as much due to cost, plus I don't know how I'll feel about the recoil but I am planning on a suppressor for it.

I just can't decide which as the .300 will cost me as much or more then the prices currently availbale for the Sako .338

Well you might be in luck. I happen to have one like you sound like you are looking for. If you would like pic's shoot me a PM and I will email a couple to you with some spec's tomorrow. NOW smile and hope this is one you are looking for.

Stacey,

I just sent you a PM. Perhaps you can cheer me up especially since I just had the deal for the NF scope just go south, I could use some cheering up. Thanks.

Got it, she is a nice one and the only A5 model we have ready and not even put out yet so you have 1st dibbs. Check your PM, thanks.

I am currently using the XM2010, the Army's new .300 WM rifle and I am in love. We are shooting 190gr SMK at about 2800fps at 5500 ft elevation and having great success. The gun itself has a nice folding stock which is great when getting in and out of vehicles or for carrying in my Eberlestock. I put three rounds in 1/4" at 100m a couple months ago with that rifle. I don't always shoot that tight of groups with it but at least I know it's capable of doing it and I consistently get 1/2" out of it. It is a bit heavy, especially with the suppressor, and long but that doesn't really bother me at all. Remington has a civilian version called the MSR or if you are LE/MIL you can order the XM2010 from them. Just my thoughts based on my experience.

Shoot the piss out of your .308 while you save for a TRG 42 .300wm

the alloure of the 338 gets us all at one time or another. It's great if you're going past 1200 but if you're really not going to be shooting that far on a regular basis, I'd go with a 300 and forget the 338 all together.

Now if you just want 338 to show off to your friends, by all means get it. Personally I'd forget the 338 and put the money to reloading supplies for a 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the alloure of the 338 gets us all at one time or another. It's great if you're going past 1200 but if you're really not going to be shooting that far on a regular basis, I'd go with a 300 and forget the 338 all together.

Now if you just want 338 to show off to your friends, by all means get it. Personally I'd forget the 338 and put the money to reloading supplies for a 300. </div></div>

Yeah I have the range to shoot well beyond 1200 that's my main interest in it.

I already have all the dies for reloading for .300WM though, so I think your right I should just grab it and perhaps grab the .338 in the future. Hopefully I can find another .300WM like I want for the price I'm looking. by the way the one Stacey has is a thing of beauty and someone should grab it. I would it's just a bit more then I planned on dropping for a .300.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Got a Trg 42 from euro optic bout a month ago. Within 30 rounds I shot a 4 shot ground in 3/4 inch at 300 yards. That was in a 10-15 mile an hour wind. I was shooting my Savage 12 f/tr with 155gr scenars at about 2900fps while letting the sako cool down. It was throwing my 308 bullets around + - an moa depending on the wind gusts. I did absolutly no wind adjustment with the 338 and it was right on.

300 grain scenars = much better ballistics than 300 win mag. Not so much for the bullet drop but for freaking wind.

Also the trg ergos are good but you have to get a cheek plate. You can not beat the trg trigger period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savageman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a Trg 42 from euro optic bout a month ago. Within 30 rounds I shot a 4 shot ground in 3/4 inch at 300 yards. That was in a 10-15 mile an hour wind. I was shooting my Savage 12 f/tr with 155gr scenars at about 2900fps while letting the sako cool down. It was throwing my 308 bullets around + - an moa depending on the wind gusts. I did absolutly no wind adjustment with the 338 and it was right on.

300 grain scenars = much better ballistics than 300 win mag. Not so much for the bullet drop but for freaking wind.

Also the trg ergos are good but you have to get a cheek plate. You can not beat the trg trigger period. </div></div>

And that would be one of my biggest reasons why I want the .338 The winds where I am will shift directions and change from 0-15mph through out a range session. We have a lot of canyons here and I think it causes a spiraling affect with the wind. I'll be hammering a target at 600 yards with my .308 adjusting for a 3 o'clock wind and then all of a sudden it will shift to an 11 o'clock. Drives me nutts somethimes.

OinCo,

I saw that TRG .300, bit to pricey for me as well. I have been planning a TRG purchase for awhile now, I even ordered a Sako brake already and I'm planning a .338 YHM can. Unless I can find a deal on a .300WM setup how I want I might try to grab a used TRG in .300 and a new .338, since the price is less.

After reading through the above posts, I would say just go with the .338 lapua. You have the range, why have a middle rifle when your just going to get the .338 eventually anyhow. You have the .308, I wouldnt even bother with the .300WM. And this is coming from someone who was thinking about trading his .300WM for a .338.

I'd get both for no other reason then why not. If your competent with the .308 to 1000yds get the 338 first. If your not get the 300 and get competent at 1000yds before you start going further I think there is nothing worse then seeing someone not using a rifle to its potential

I'm new to this forum and am not sure where to post my question.

I am looking for the ballistics for a 300 win mag using 180 grain rounds at ranges from 300 to 1500 yards.

Can you help out with this or send me to the right place?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyborsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to this forum and am not sure where to post my question.

I am looking for the ballistics for a 300 win mag using 180 grain rounds at ranges from 300 to 1500 yards.

Can you help out with this or send me to the right place? </div></div>
Get a ballistics calculator iPhone app there are a few around job done

I tried the JBM Ballistics Calculator and that was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again

Paramil,

I'm seriously considering just getting both. I like to have all my bases covered. And well I do like my toys.

Topcat,

I was considering the 5R .300 as I have a .308 5r Milspec and I think it's a great rifle but there are things I want to change on it that make me think it's not the most cost effective choice. For an out of box gun though that someone doesn't want to change, I think it's a great gun but I want to change the stock, trigger, and have it Dura coated, these things alone make it just not the best optiton for me.

The restriction is match ammo heavier than 190 grains if you don't reload for the .300WM. Of course the remedy would be reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paramil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The restriction is match ammo heavier than 190 grains if you don't reload for the .300WM. Of course the remedy would be reloading. </div></div>

I use quickload for reloading and bulletflight with my .308 and 300 wm 243, 223 and 7mm puts me on paper at any distance under 8-12 knot full value wind, after that the light calibers stray but gtg on 308 and 300

also i agree with top_cat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Rem 5-R Mil Spec in 300WM is an easy choice.

TC </div></div>