• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WM vs 338LM Barrel Life and reloading cost

Sgtsideways

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Usa
I've seen a few posts regarding barrel life on these two cartridges. Some (a lot) claim only 1000 rd life on 300 WM vs 4000-5000 rd life on a 338LM. So I ask the question, because I consider the barrel cost as part of my reloading cost for whatever round it maybe. Hoping some of you barrel experts can chime in.

If the above figures are reasonably true, then I would only be seeing a few pennies difference for the two rounds. It is also easier to reload the 338LM as I'm not having to take into account the belt of the 300 WM.

There is a significant cost difference for brass/projectiles between those two. As far as WM, I got 2300+ out of my PVA barrel but I am not loading it to rocket ship speeds. Virtually all my handloads are 10% below max to preserve barrel life. A few of my "long range" hunting loads are near max but I only shoot a few of those each year.

That barrel life for 338 strikes me as optimistic. The accuracy expectation for that must be comparatively low.

If I were in the market, I’d consider a PRC before a winmag these days.

I've considered the 300 prc, but then you get into the whole deal of having to buy the dies, brass, ect. I will look into it though as the barrel life on a 300WM runs about $1.70/round (not including the rest of the reloading costs.
My guess is that both the 300WM and the 338LM really have the same barrel life as the grain loads are very close, unless you want to shoot at the max.
Good article here on the 300 PRC that may change your minds:

Last edited:
The belt makes ZERO difference on reloading. Or anything. It’s just unnecessary and gets a lot of flak for that reason

338LM is probably closer to 1500-2500 rounds not that absurd value you were quoted. I’ve got 1000ish on my Lilja and 0.050” throat erosion. So I’m guessing it’s 1/2 toast since 0.100+ erosion usually means a rechamber/rebarrel

Rechambering a barrel is always an option

If you’re really worried about barrel life get a Bartlein MODBB

The belt makes ZERO difference on reloading. Or anything. It’s just unnecessary and gets a lot of flak for that reason

338LM is probably closer to 1500-2500 rounds not that absurd value you were quoted. I’ve got 1000ish on my Lilja and 0.050” throat erosion. So I’m guessing it’s 1/2 toast since 0.100+ erosion usually means a rechamber/rebarrel

Rechambering a barrel is always an option

If you’re really worried about barrel life get a Bartlein MODBB
Thanks for the information on the new steel modbb. Didn't know that. I'm using an MRAD, so I have to go with a heavy varmint type of barrel.

I'll have to disagree with you about the reloading on the 300 WM. I employ the extra step of using the Larry Willis die that sizes down to the belt. I have had occasion that the belt area has caused chambering problems. This die has cured that, since traditional fl sizers only size to slightly above the belt. It's kinda pita.

Hmm. 20 years of reloading lots of 7mm mag and I’ve never had a problem. Must be dependent upon brass chamber and load

338 LM is a squared away cartridge but it thumps and certain restrictions apply (eg no rem 700 actions)