• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .300 WSM in "Std." M700 SA?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    What was supposed to be a .260, has been ordered changed to .300 WSM.
    First thought was the obvious, new bolt w/magnum boltface and change the extractor.

Haven't build a SA magnum yet, so a couple more "what if's" have me concerned.
    Are lugs/receiver abutments on the M700 magnum SA beefier than the standard SA? I'm concerned about bolt thrust...
    It's obvious the receiver will need the feed rails milled out a bit- assuming that will allow reliable feeding (internal box, hunting rifle)?

Still need to find out the intended boolit of choice- receiver has already been modified for the Wyatt MBE-5 (2.995) , any issues with OAL possible?

Bottom line question- should I just use this modified receiver for another build, and get an M700 magnum SA for this one?

Don’t worry about bolt thrust.

With 2.99 you’ll be fine with most hunting bullets.
    If you want to be on the lands with big target bullets you’ll probably have to single feed.

You’ll definitely have to notch the feed ramp