• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .300 WSM /SA Questions & Suggestions?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Change of plans on a M700 SA build from .260 to .300 WSM.

I've already milled the receiver and installed a Wyatt's MBE-5. Looks like the MBE-4 is what's needed for the magnum- outside dimensions of the box look the same, any issues with swapping out for the MBE-4?

Reamer selection... after a little digging around seems SAAMI spec is fine even with minimal freebore (?)

Most likely will be running 180's. Will be handloading, but no neck turning, etc...wants to retain ability to shoot factory ammo.

Lastly, suppressor suggestions to lessen felt recoil while not adding too much length; thinking a 24", 10 twist barrel.

Thanks in advance.

Don't have any help with most of what you are asking. But I have a 300WSM weighing at 16# that I shoot with a Sandman Ti that has the E-Brake. Feels like a gentle shove.
    Barrel is a 24" 1:10 Shilen Select Match with their ratchet rifling. Haven't shot anything heavier than 165 yet, but I'm sure anything I put through it will shoot great.

The Sandman series is great. My 300 win mag is pretty tame even with the short, and shooting 210 Berger’s, but I really like long better. I’ve heard good things about the Nomad series too, but I don’t own one yet. If you want lighter, just about everybody here will recommend TBAC.

My spr in 300wsm feeds perfect form modified tbm mags with a .090” freebore with 168 hvld

I run a saami .300 wsm reamer and it is just about right for my needs. Wouldn’t want anything longer for freebore. I’m shooting 208 eldm at accurate mag length of 2.950” and they are .040 jump. The 200 eldx can be loaded to touch the lands. I can’t remember exactly but the 185 and 210 vld’s were also able to get to the lands. I would recommend the zero freebore saami spec reamer for short actions.

Change of plans on a M700 SA build from .260 to .300 WSM.

I've already milled the receiver and installed a Wyatt's MBE-5. Looks like the MBE-4 is what's needed for the magnum- outside dimensions of the box look the same, any issues with swapping out for the MBE-4?

Reamer selection... after a little digging around seems SAAMI spec is fine even with minimal freebore (?)

Most likely will be running 180's. Will be handloading, but no neck turning, etc...wants to retain ability to shoot factory ammo.

Lastly, suppressor suggestions to lessen felt recoil while not adding too much length; thinking a 24", 10 twist barrel.

Thanks in advance.
    I wouldn't give on neck turning just to even out the necks. Not a dedicated turn chamber but cleaning them to .013 .