• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition 300 yd and 168's twist

I realize that, I just wanted to take a (cheap) swipe at F-Open. :big grin:

After mulling your last post over for a while, I must say that it has merit but I would make one change in the concept as it applies to .308Win in an F-TR setting.

I agree that for 300 yards, you do not need the big-ass long bot tail bullets that are used for 1000 yard shooting. You can save money on bullets (mine cost $0.50+ each) and lessen the recoil of shooting 180gr bullets (in my case,) by using cheaper, smaller .308 bullets such as the 125 and 135 gr you were talking about earlier.

Where I would modify your concept is when you talk about reducing the load for a .308. My thinking is that I would want the fastest, most precise load I can get for competition, even at 300 yards. I can see a 20-24 inch very heavy barrel pushing a 125gr SMK to 2800+FPS performing like a laser beam. That might be very interesting. I might even be able to push past 3000FPS in my 32 inch barrel and still be able to shoot Xs.

However, for the OP that option does not exist as he shoots factory 168SMk FGMM ammo.

Correct, I do not reload. I may at some time, but for now it is fgmm 168 and hornady 168. Just got 50 new boxes of fgmm 168 today from palmetto.

If I do I will definitely check into 125 and 135 smk's.

Last edited:
Agreed. My approach is centered on the concept of 'adequate', rather than 'ultimate'.

I am currently working on a 'manageable recoil' load for my 110lb granddaughter's Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that uses bullets from x39 round and a powder load that falls somewhere in between the x39 and the x54R.

Greg

Last edited: