• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

3000$+ For a custom rifle?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
This is for those precision marksmen that have been at it the longest. Over your shooting career, Does one eventually have to buy or build a truly custom rifle? Or, can a marksman live off trued 700, Savage, etc actions with custom upgrades(I.E. Barrels, Bolts, Etc...). Is 1/2 MOA good enough? Where do you stop in your pursuit of precision and accuracy?

Opinions?

Re: 3000$+ For a custom rifle?

Your signature says you have the basics. A good 'smith can true the action and put your barrel back on (if your barrel is a good one). If your R700 is shooting 1/2 MOA now then leave it alone until it quits. Then you can decide what is the best way to go for you. But, a word of warning, if you never want a $3K custom then don't handle or shoot anyone else's. You'll find the real differences and the answer to your question.

First you can easily live off a stock Remington rifle thats been "tuned". But once you put your shoulder against a 3k-5k rifle that was specificaly built for you theres a big difference. Also just because a rifle hold 1/2 moa at 100 or 200 yards doesnt mean once you get waayy out there it will maintain that same level of accuracy. High dollar rigs are built from the ground up starting with a cartridge and bullet. Its a system and once everything is mated together properly and all the equations are solved minus the shooter then it comes down to the shooters ability to make that shot.

I love my SPS Tac... I am about to start saving up for something custom. But I am weighing whether or not to just save up for something new/custom or save that money and put a good bit in to the rig I already own?

For me, accuracy became less of a concern than reliability, the times they are a changin...

Suped up hunting actions can only garner so much trust against the new kids on the block AKA: purpose designed and built actions etc.

Milled to feed from AW mags
Long thread tenon
One piece bolts
Redesigned extraction
Built in bolt release
The list goes on...

They are tools, use the right tool for the job.

Consider resale as well. Even trued and with an aftermarket tube on it a Rem 700 will still just be Rem 700 when it comes time to sell.

I was where you are once and for me the answer is yes to the custom. You will see the value down range, reliability and resale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider resale as well. Even trued and with an aftermarket tube on it a Rem 700 will still just be Rem 700 when it comes time to sell.

I was where you are once and for me the answer is yes to the custom. You will see the value down range, reliability and resale.</div></div>

I agree on resale...But, as for the rifles I buy? Resale is not in my vocabulary, and It better not be in my sons either, LOL

I have paid more than that to have a setup that makes me the deciding factor. I can't blame my rifle, glass or ammo. It can be frustrating, but when I am on, it is very rewarding.

Most of the time it's frustrating.

Well... It depends on you I suppose. Having had the chance to own a high end custom I decided to sell it and keep my stock rem 700.

It's the indian.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider resale as well. Even trued and with an aftermarket tube on it a Rem 700 will still just be Rem 700 when it comes time to sell.

I was where you are once and for me the answer is yes to the custom. You will see the value down range, reliability and resale.</div></div>

I agree on resale...But, as for the rifles I buy? Resale is not in my vocabulary, and It better not be in my sons either, LOL </div></div>

The fact that customization is pretty much lost money unless your improvements coincide with someone else's tastes is the reason that many guys start from an action and don't have to buy the OEM stock, barrel, etc. Less investment in stuff that's going to be cast off anyway reduces the layout. Really, the best money spent is on training and ammo to hone up with in any shooting discipline.

It's not unlike owning cars. You'll never hit the nail on the head with the first purchase. At some point you will know the true depth of your love for the hobby, your real interests,and just how much you are willing to spend.

One year after you spend the dough, you will have forgotten how much it cost, and probably have spent that amount in ammo and support gear.

Like Keyrock mentioned above, having a rifle that you know drives tacks is nice. For me that is an AIAW. Whenever I am having a shitty day with ANY gun and I'm not sure where to put the blame, I pick up the AW. It usually tells me what I want to know.

We never stop. It's just the way it is. I was plenty happy with my sub 1/2 moa "hunting" rifles. That is until I layed down behind a custom that was zero'd in on an 8" balloon at 720yds! Something happened to me that day. lol Now things are quite different.

Your need for the premium rifles depends on your application. Yes, a typical casual shooter can get away with running a standard rifle that has had some touch-ups done to it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 1 moa rifle so long as you're also a 1 moa shooter and wind caller (which most are not).

The reason many are running the full custom rigs (or TRG/AIs) is their application is different. Start putting your rifles in the harshest of elements, running the bolt hard, doing run and gun drills, or have requirements for rapid reloads and you will see where you want more. Wanting non-typical chambers is another huge reason to step up into the customs.

My old M40A1 was fine to get me through basic Sniper School and conventional green side ops. I thought it was the greatest thing going then, and really it was one of the best at the time. However urban/defensive operations and competitions really showed me where five round internal magazines, lack of bipod and fixed 10x magnification were significantly holding us back.

Some just want the finest out there, are willing to lay down the $$$ for it and I think that is great. Some need the finest out there and have to lay down the $$$ to get it. It's all about application.

If you don't want to spend $3000+ on a rifle, I suggest that you get yourself banned from this site and never come back.

Resistance is futile. You <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> be assimilated.

MadDog

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't want to spend $3000+ on a rifle, I suggest that you get yourself banned from this site and never come back.

Resistance if futile. You <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> be assimilated.

MadDog</div></div>

MadDog...You are truly right. When I joined this site, I had nothing more than a nice hunting rifle. Now I have over 2500$ in modifications to it and a wife thats always asking me "Why da hell you alway foolin with that old dumb deer rifle?" LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your signature says you have the basics. A good 'smith can true the action and put your barrel back on (if your barrel is a good one). If your R700 is shooting 1/2 MOA now then leave it alone until it quits. Then you can decide what is the best way to go for you. But, a word of warning, if you never want a $3K custom then don't handle or shoot anyone else's. You'll find the real differences and the answer to your question.</div></div>

+1, don't do it, it will ruin you. It did me.

I have slowly gone through the process of selling/trading and buying upwards until I was able to get my Surgeon Scalpel. I am by no means a "collector" of custom rifles, my personal economics prevent such pursuits. My wife allows me to purchase one a year as long as she is taken care of (this is key). Once you shoot a high precision custom it's hard to go back.....

You can most certainly get the job done with a factory Remington.

The problem is once your shooting gets to a certain level, the factory rifle is not going to challenge you anymore. You may not even notice it until you jump on someone else's rifle and magically shoot better. Then you will realize that in order to continue to hone the fundamentals you need a more accurate rifle.

Then there are the "other guys" who want custom rifles because they are a status symbol.

I ended up selling a car and some prizes from other matches in order to finally order my AI. It's not a custom, but you can't tell from shooting it. The rifle allows me to maximize my ability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider resale as well. Even trued and with an aftermarket tube on it a Rem 700 will still just be Rem 700 when it comes time to sell.</div></div> +1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider resale as well. Even trued and with an aftermarket tube on it a Rem 700 will still just be Rem 700 when it comes time to sell.

I was where you are once and for me the answer is yes to the custom. You will see the value down range, reliability and resale. </div></div>

and then you have a TacOps that will turn this idea on its ear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider resale as well. Even trued and with an aftermarket tube on it a Rem 700 will still just be Rem 700 when it comes time to sell.

I was where you are once and for me the answer is yes to the custom. You will see the value down range, reliability and resale. </div></div>

and then you have a TacOps that will turn this idea on its ear. </div></div>Some will buy anything.

In my list criteria for a precision rifle, accuracy isn't close to the top.

I know that sounds odd, but I've shot extremely accurate "factory stock" rifles. I had a M70 Stealth II I would put up against any rifle (of course this idiot sold it).

Reliability
Fit
comfort

That's what custom is about. If all you're looking for is accuracy, a custom may be a waste of money for you.

Like my wife always says to me, "is it a need or a want?". For many years I shot factory rigs but I had the money and budget to buy a custom so went for it. I have one more custom in the works (her rifle) but from here on out it'll be back to factory rifles.

I have what I "want" so then it'll be back to what I "need". Funny how some things come full circle.

Just don't over spend or over-extend yourself, buying more than you can afford, then can't afford glass or worse yet have to sell everything off at a loss because you need the money. Buy within your means just like a house, car, or anything else.

The rifle set-up you have now is a more than capable package and should last you a long time.

Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't want to spend $3000+ on a rifle, I suggest that you get yourself banned from this site and never come back.

Resistance if futile. You <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> be assimilated.

MadDog</div></div>

MadDog...You are truly right. When I joined this site, I had nothing more than a nice hunting rifle. Now I have over 2500$ in modifications to it and a wife thats always asking me "Why da hell you alway foolin with that old dumb deer rifle?" LOL </div></div>

Maybe she wishes that you were fooling around with something else into which you had put $2,500 worth of modifications?

laugh.gif

Some of our Hide builders are offering .5 and as low as .3 MOA guarantees on accuracy for rifles built even on the R700 action. However some will see better results than others as with everything else in this world.

Either way you choose you are going to see results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good ones cost more than 2,500
grin.gif
</div></div>

2500$ is what I have invested in my current rifle. The custom rifle I'm looking at is close to 4000$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good ones cost more than 2,500
grin.gif
</div></div>

2500$ is what I have invested in my current rifle. The custom rifle I'm looking at is close to 4000$</div></div>
I think he's referring to the "wife" and not the rifle...

Would you mind elaborating on what you are looking for us? We like to live vicariously from time to time you know.

Damn Vic, I've got ya beat by 6.
4k will get you extreme accuracy, a precise fit, much peace of mind, and absolute confidence in your equipment. I'll bet you get all that from that Nightforce sitting atop your 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9fingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Vic, I've got ya beat by 6.
4k will get you extreme accuracy, a precise fit, much peace of mind, and absolute confidence in your equipment. I'll bet you get all that from that Nightforce sitting atop your 700.</div></div>

While my confidence did go up a few notches when I got my Nightforce, like another hide member said, somedays at the range you just wonder if its you or the rifle. I will have to save up a considerable amount of time and work a lot of overtime on the job to be able to pay for it but I think its worth it in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9fingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Vic, I've got ya beat by 6.
4k will get you extreme accuracy, a precise fit, much peace of mind, and absolute confidence in your equipment. I'll bet you get all that from that Nightforce sitting atop your 700.</div></div>

While my confidence did go up a few notches when I got my Nightforce, like another hide member said, somedays at the range you just wonder if its you or the rifle. I will have to save up a considerable amount of time and work a lot of overtime on the job to be able to pay for it but I think its worth it in the long run. </div></div>

$3k can get you a very nice stick if you are carefull on options and builders. Some of the big name guys will sell barreled actions too if you already have a stock you really like or want to finish it yourself too. It's always an option when comparing builders and budgets. Not to push or plug a builder but when comparing option for option and depending what you want for a stock don't over look Mike Bush and the Infidel. I looked for a long time and when comparing what he's putting together and the options the price couldn't be beat. Look at the builders across the board, look at parts being used (actions, barrels, stocks & triggers), prices and decide for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the deal with Tac Ops? Is it a Counter Sniper type thing? While I can't afford a custom rifle, I see the benefit. </div></div>

Tac-Ops is about as far from Counter Sniper type material as you can get. Most people wait 2 to 3 years for their Tac-Ops rifles.

If you ever have the chance to hold or shoot one you will know why.

Dude, it was all about the wife upgrades! You don't want the girls staring in opposite directions!

On custom rifles, some want only the best as they see it. Can't fault them for that, but don't have to copy them either. What you use and what you think it is worth is extremely subjective.

I've seen custom rifles discounted the price of a factory rifle in order to sell. Resale value is a very iffy thing to hang your hat on.

When it comes to the top tier shooters and the high number of high dollar rifles owned. I looked at it the same way NASCAR mechanics don't own Wally World wrenches. Bit of ego, bit of pride in equipment, maybe just a bit of yeah I am this good.

You don't need a 3K rifle to shoot .5 at distance, plenty of rifles costing far less can do that. The nut on the trigger on the other hand can be a problem.

Forgot to add- IF you got proper training from folks who can see/feel/smell your mistakes you wont need a 4K rifle to tell you the weak link is and will always be you.

just saying

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9fingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Vic, I've got ya beat by 6.

While my confidence did go up a few notches when I got my Nightforce, like another hide member said, somedays at the range you just wonder if its you or the rifle. I will have to save up a considerable amount of time and work a lot of overtime on the job to be able to pay for it but I think its worth it in the long run. </div></div>

I've been there. The facts posted on the benefits of a custom rifle are always going to be tempting for us. In my case, I realized I was so immersed in the culture of precision shooting that I naturally wanted to step up, however, with 4 children and it not being my truly #1 need, I became much more grateful for what I already had in equipment. Guys are in real battles around the world with way less than what you have. So, I realized contentment is better than desire for the moment. Do go forward and get what you want, be consider your options. Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sportschütze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've been there. The facts posted on the benefits of a custom rifle are always going to be tempting for us. In my case, I realized I was so immersed in the culture of precision shooting that I naturally wanted to step up, however, with 4 children and it not being my truly #1 need, I became much more grateful for what I already had in equipment. Guys are in real battles around the world with way less than what you have. So, I realized contentment is better than desire for the moment. Do go forward and get what you want, be consider your options. Good Luck!</div></div>

Thanks for bringing another perspective to it...I may just go foreword with upgrades to my current rig(It shoots .5MOA on good days) and put the rest into my sons college fund...

I have spent maybe close to 20K on target rifles. Will it stop there, i doubt it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9fingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Vic, I've got ya beat by 6.
4k will get you extreme accuracy, a precise fit, much peace of mind, and absolute confidence in your equipment. I'll bet you get all that from that Nightforce sitting atop your 700. </div></div>

You only got me beat by one, I have 8 total.
smile.gif
. By the way I meant no disrespect to Tac ops I guess I didn't understand the post.

I am getting ready to save you a lot of time and money...

You will start with a stock rifle, then spend money upgrading it. You will then get a few customs in persuit of accuracy, then you will fall in love with how smooth they are and just how good they feel.

You will eventually realize that super stupid accuracy is kind of stupid and find that reliability is more important and that good enough is good enough. You will stop shooting groups and as long as your rifle hits steels when you know you didnt fuck up, it is as accurate as you want.

You will then wind up trying an AI or TRG and realize that these have everything you want AND a wonderful 60 degree bolt lift...and you will like it, it will be smooth, have a great trigger, shoot knats ass and give you a huge amount of confidence in your rifle. Plus, you will know that you can beat the living shit out of it and it will still work, all the time, period.

This will be good, because at this point, you will be over keeping you gear pretty and not care that it is beat to shit. You will have found your rifle, the one that you really have no desire to try anything else, it does everything you want it to do, and does it very well. Oh, and you will clean it once a year...or so.

Every step along the way, you will lose money.

So, sell your rifle and buy an AI or TRG, whichever is more comfortable...you are welcome.

You are did something smart by getting good optics. With the accuracy you are reporting with your current rifle, I would not "upgrade" or change anything now. Shoot out that barrel, and then you'll know what you want. Now if you are considering another caliber that is a different story.

I have a slightly different outlook. To the OP. It is obvious that you are on the right track. You have realized you have to see it to hit it. You glass is on track to hit and adjust for any caliber, and any distance. The true limitations you have now are first, the factory sps stock. In the name of accuracy, these stocks are really just a plastic wrapper to receive your rifle in. Second is the trigger. The exmark is fairly adjustable, but I have found them inconsistant over time. Lastly is the barrel.A 20" factory barrel is only going to perform at XX level. I have owned factory Rem 5R guns that will hold a half MOA out to 1K yards. I have seen identicle rifles that won't hold 1.25MOA. Maybe the break in had something to do with it? But the truth is, some will-some won't. I have seen custom barrels that also won't shoot. The difference is, they will make it good.
If you make the modifications to make your factory rifle all it can be, it will be a custom with a factory action.You will have as much or more in it as you have invested in your optics.If you sell your rifle outright and build a custom you will have 500-800 more in it than you will the fully modified factory rifle. Either way you have something you can call your own creation, and load for it. Really the way I see it, you did the hard part already. You bought the optics. You and only you know if your weapon is as good as you are a shooter, and visa-versa.
Good luck trying to figure it out. I can tell you I own both, factory and full custom. When the gun I have the most confidence in does not hit as accuratley as I think it should, I know I am at fault.
YMMV-Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the deal with Tac Ops? Is it a Counter Sniper type thing? While I can't afford a custom rifle, I see the benefit. </div></div>

Tac-Ops is about as far from Counter Sniper type material as you can get. Most people wait 2 to 3 years for their Tac-Ops rifles.

If you ever have the chance to hold or shoot one you will know why. </div></div>

Not slamming Tac Ops here but my one time experience is not the same. I was not, and still and not, a convert. I certainly would not wait 2 years for one. I think they build great guns but no better than other "masters of the trade".

The advice on Sako is good advice. They are maybe the best factory shooters around. You can shop around and get a decent deal on one. EuroOptic is the best place there, IMHO. Just be aware that the mags and oter accessories are usually more expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You will then wind up trying an AI or TRG and realize that these have everything you want AND a wonderful 60 degree bolt lift...and you will like it, it will be smooth, have a great trigger, shoot knats ass and give you a huge amount of confidence in your rifle. Plus, you will know that you can beat the living shit out of it and it will still work, all the time, period.

This will be good, because at this point, you will be over keeping you gear pretty and not care that it is beat to shit.........</div></div>

Sounds like you have been looking over my AI. That thing is a wonderful piece because it just works. I was laughing the other day because when I was wiping it down after a call I noticed scratches all down the barrel from a rusty wire fence I had to jam it through. Every time I moved the fence was right back against the barrel. I would twist it away again rubbing it down the barrel in the process. Now the barrel matches the skins that are rashed from concrete and barricades.

I don't much care because it's not going to be a "NIB" investment. I bought it to shoot and to USE.

Shooter what part of the us are you in? I think your best investment would be in instruction. If you are close to texas give Rifles Only a call and sign up for the the pr 1&2 class.

I am not really qualified to post in this thread. I am just a beginner rifle guy. But I have expierence with custom pistols. Veyr much so.

When I decided I wanted to give the precision rifle a shot, I looked and looked and looked. I figured I would eventually "buy up" since I did with pistols over the years. Why not just short-circuit the middle-man and buy up as a noob?

Now this logic only really works if one is honest with one's self. Besdies my history, I wanted to know that if I had trouble, or mistakes, it was my fault and not my gear's fault. You know, always thinking, "if I only had...".

I decided on an FN SPR A3 in 308 with a S&B 3x12 PM-II MTC.

I asked around some of the SWAT snipers I know, and the FN kept coming up as a great bolt-gun. I also was attracted to the idea it was a chrome lined barrel. My fear was, in my noobie-ness, I would mess up some uber-match steel barrel.

So sat back and kept looking at FNs for sale with test targets. And ammo was already set by people smarter than me.

In short....can I shoot as well as the OP? Probably not. Can I shoot as well as the test-target that came with my rifle. Not even close!

But when I fall short, I can concentrate on thinking "Stupid shooter. Stupid shooter" Instead of "Stupid Rifle, Stupid Rifle". Hahaha!

For me it is a mind game.

Regards,
Greyson

I will second what was posted above. I am new to this distance game. Have rifles on order and the first one I ordered should be here by the end of the month. Got an infidel from ugsw coming in .260 rem, and during the wait I ended up getting a trg 22 in 308. I wanted rifles that I could know would do the job and not leave me wondering if it was me missing or the rifle.

My other knowledge was that this isn't my first new hobby, and I knew that eventually I would end up wanting a full on custom or high end rifle. To me it wasn't worth starting from the ground up so to speak and start with a base Remington that all I would end up with was the action in a few short months. Since you have the base rifle already though maybe you could go the build up route, but I wouldnt go buy a new Remington to use for the action.

Pat