• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300BLK AAC handi rifle

Re: 300BLK AAC handi rifle

With the same weight bullet the velocity is pretty darn close. Remington also has a reduced recoil load for the 30-30 and theres a few loads with lighter bullets. If you hand load you can make it underperform the 300BLK or outperform it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recoil is not the same. </div></div>

+1

Even if this would shoot 2 inch groups at a 100 it will make a fine rifle for your son to deer hunt with.

I will have one just for subsonic suppressed critter elimination.

Should have it on the range today, report coming.

I have factory and hand loads, if the barrel blows, I'll know.

I know this is slightly veering from the subject line, but as an alternate, try what my cousin in PA did....
took a Handy-rifle ($100 at a pawn shop)
put a rifled 12ga slug barrel on it, cut down to 16".
had barrel cut for choke tubes & put a comp choke in it 2" long (+/-) to help tame some recoil.
Put a thick ass decelerator pad on the butstock.
Put some night sights on top (nice glow in low light)
with the help of some spray paint & a rifle sling it maks for one hard ass hitting "hog gun" when loaded with 3" mag sabot slugs.
Nice & light, fairly accurate out to 100 (enough for deer, hog, or bear).
But ear protection is required to pull the trigger as fire & thunder come out of the barrel when the damn thing is lit off.
I'll see if he will send pictures to post. It's pretty bad ass.

moral of the story i guess, if they won't make what you want, make it yourself.

That's unfortunate. If you can't safely run a suppressor on a blk then I don't see the point, whether it's an AR, bolt gun or handi platform; it screams for a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should have it on the range today, report coming.

I have factory and hand loads, if the barrel blows, I'll know. </div></div>

Hurrrrrrrrryyyyyy Upppppppp....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should have it on the range today, report coming.

So what the hell happened

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should have it on the range today, report coming.

So what the hell happened
</div></div>

yeah and where the heck are the pictures??

Noticed they went with the 1:7 twist barrel. Will definitely favor the heavy (subsonic) rounds. I like it. Maybe a 6x on top. Should be fun!

The 1:7 twist is going to rock with the heavys. I will only be shooting this subsonic and suppressed. Going to be a fun around the house game dispatcher.

Got busy, haven't made it to the range yet, but soon.

Soon.

300AAC2.jpg

300AAC1.jpg

I know the scope is way up there, I don't keep 1-inch rings laying around, this is the only mount I had on hand.

Also, in playing around with it, the action fails to lock up without a fair bit of force applied when closing. This is my second handi rifle and my other locks with less force.

Range report to follow.

Where is RSilvers since he posts on this forum??? I'm interested in this rifle since it's the least expensive way to get into 300BO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got busy, haven't made it to the range yet, but soon.

Soon.

Also, in playing around with it, the action fails to lock up without a fair bit of force applied when closing. This is my second handi rifle and my other locks with less force.

Range report to follow.

</div></div>

You mentioned the threads are sloppy, will you be shooting it suppressed? I'd be curious if there's any baffle strikes cuz that will be a dealbreaker.

RSilver seems to have disappeared like a fart in the wind, just after reassuring us the rifle would be available in March. I'm sure he got busy.

As for suppressed, yes, after a few unsuppressed to assure the rounds are stable. The can does shoulder up tight, and the exit projectile path of the YHM Phantom 7.62 is a bit larger than my other 30-cal cans.

I see on other forums around the web, Silver is telling people to get one while/if you can, orders far exceed the first batch size, so all current orders will not be filled, and he doesn't know when/if there will be a second run.

Range today or tomorrow, more to follow.

The gun is gonna look really stupid with a bipod on it, but such is life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got busy, haven't made it to the range yet, but soon.

Soon.

300AAC2.jpg

300AAC1.jpg

I know the scope is way up there, I don't keep 1-inch rings laying around, this is the only mount I had on hand.

Range report to follow.

</div></div>

I was trying to get you to show yours before I showed mine. I wanted to go lower with my rings but because the hammer sticks up as far as it does you can't...unless you have someone grind it down a little.

Anyway, here is mine:
003-7.jpg

The "tardy as hell" range report.

All rounds fired were subsonic, a mix of a few recipes and a few projectiles, all were stable on paper, so only the first few rounds were unsuppressed.

No baffle strikes, which is nice.

First and foremost: it is a $350 gun, I keep having to remind myself of that. If you normally shoot match barrels and match triggers, remind yourself early and often: this gun costs less than most barrels and just a bit more than most triggers.

So, accuracy was unimpressive, partly because I was using a shitty rest, partly because the trigger breaks at about 10 pounds with nothing but mush and creepy. It is, without question, the worst trigger on any rifle I have ever owned. It is a $350 gun.

With about 40 rounds down range, I ran into a problem 5 or 6 times of the breach not locking shut without excessive force. I own a handi in 45/70 and, with over 100 rounds down that tube,that gun has never exhibited this problem. It does this with or without ammo in the chamber, so it isn't an ammo issue.

Next, the chamber is tight, so much so that extraction took a bit more force than I like. These are reloads, loaded on small base dies (300Whisper) and no other gun, bolt or auto, has had issue with these reloads. I wasn't able to take factory ammo, but will do so on my next range outting.

Finally, I had one case that stuck in the chamber, picture below. The extractor jumped the case lip and left the case in the chamber. Whether this is a gun issue or an ammo issue, I do not yet know. I will shoot factory stuff next, that'll tell me.

In the end, it is a $350 gun and I got what I paid for. It is not a precision weapon, nor is the fit and finish top shelf. BUt it does go "boom with every mushy, creepy, shitty trigger pull, and the rounds are close to on target. The 300BLK is not a long-range gun, and mine will be limited (in subsonic use) to about 125 yards.

300BLK.jpg

Lastly, for the Houston crowd, I hate Carter's Country, I hate them so very, very much. Carry on.

Do you think a polishing job and a spring kit would help the trigger? I have had one of these on order for a while. It is only costing me $330, but it sounds like I will be a little disappointed unless I put some time and tweaking into.

I'm not sure if this is true, but you use to be able to send NEF the receiver when adding other barrels and NEF would do a trigger job if you requested it...I don't know if that's still the case since Marlin bought NEF and Marlin...

Maybe the bugs have been worked out in the upper serial numbers. I got two of these today. Both of them lock up easily. I tested the trigger pull with my Timney mechanical gauge, and it came in just shy of 5 lbs every time with both guns. No creep either. The trigger just breaks all at once. The trigger seems fine to me, but I wont be able to shoot these for a while for any accuracy testing.

photobucket-17250-1346801371976.jpg

To me, that little gun screams for a low mounted red dot fwd of that hammer, or a 2.5X mounted fwd of that hammer.

I agree about RDS...I doubt I'd have magnification on that rifle, if/when I buy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me, that little gun screams for a low mounted red dot fwd of that hammer, or a 2.5X mounted fwd of that hammer. </div></div>

I will be getting mine tomorrow, 9/5. I plan on using an Aimpoint T1 and my 762SD.

I am not too concerned about accuracy, all I require (for this gun) is 1 MOA.

As far as the trigger goes, it will undoubtedly take a trip to the gunsmith. I do know that HR/NEF will not do any type of trigger job. As a matter of fact, if you do any work the the trigger, then send the rifle back to have another caliber barrel "fitted", they will remove all worked trigger parts and replace with factory parts...happened to a buddy of mine.

I will post up some pics and range report this week, although it may just be a range report from a short 25yd indoor range before I have time to go outside.

You require 1moa but you're using a non magnified optic with a 2-4moa dot... RIGHT.

If you're talking about subsonics you will be doing good get 1 moa from a subsonic rifle that is very well built with very good optics. Sorry but MOA from a handi rifle with a red dot just isn't going to happen, not even with supersonic loads. They aren't known for accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You require 1moa but you're using a non magnified optic with a 2-4moa dot... RIGHT.

If you're talking about subsonics you will be doing good get 1 moa from a subsonic rifle that is very well built with very good optics. Sorry but MOA from a handi rifle with a red dot just isn't going to happen, not even with supersonic loads. They aren't known for accuracy. </div></div>

Agreed.

Having owned and used several subsonic guns, this one needs a very fine aiming point if one intends to drop rounds into small targets (or small parts of a big target.) To each, his own, but mine will keep a 3-10 optic in the hopes of putting rounds exactly where I want them.

Is it extracting any better for you? I'm debating hard between one of these or another AAC-SD as a dedicated subsonic rifle. This rifle is appealing for it's 'handi'ness and 1:7 twist but it's hard to ignore the repeater action on the AAC-SD plus I'm already setup to load for 308.

What is the weight on the rifle with no optics or can?

I own several other Handi rifles, and they all shoot 1 moa. While I agree that 1 moa with a red dot is difficult, I will be testing from a ransom rest, so it can happen. Now, what I can shoot off-hand is quite another story. I plan on zeroing the red dot @100M, and it is a 2MOA dot, not 4 or 6.

Picked up my AAC Handi Rifle today and got a little range time.

First impressions are that it is tiny...much smaller than I remember when I fondled it at SHOT in January. Considering that its overall length is less than 32" including my Blackout flash hider, and less than 39" with my AAC 762SD suppressor attached; it is a compact little package. If you break down the rifle, each half is about 18" long which will let you pack the rifle in just about any backpack (see pic below).
The trigger was what I expected...heavy. I didn't gauge it, but I would guess around 8-10 lbs, with a stiff wall before it breaks. It will need some help from the gunsmiths.
Overall fit and finish is good...threading is more than adequate. The Blackout flash hider installed perfectly, no grit or grinding. I would have liked a heavier phosphate finish, but it is a $350 rifle, so no complaints. Picatinny rail is nice and simple, Aimpoint mount fit snugly.

Shooting it is fun. Very little recoil, but it is a little awkward due to its short LOP and short distance to the forearm; it would be great for kids! My shooting setup (pics below) was a simple table and sand bag. Shooting distance was 25 yards, the max for the indoor range. Optic is an Aimpoint T1 w/ 2 MOA dot. I plan on this being the main optic for the gun, since I will just zero it for 100M. I might experiment with a 1-4 Vortex down the line.
Easy to load...break open gun, insert round, close action, and cock the hammer. Extraction is a little more involved, and having finger nails will help. The chamber is a little rough, leaving light groves on the brass casing. I will take some honing oil and a flex-hone to it later to smooth it out. The extractor removes the round about .25" which is enough to grab it with your finger nails. You won't be burning through ammo with this gun, but I would guess that I could put a round on target every 5-8 seconds with practice.

I wasn't taking my time with the target shooting, just trying to get a quick zero. Each group pictured below is 5 rounds. The top group was shot using the Remington UMC 115gr CTFB. The bottom group was shot using the Remington Express 220gr Subsonic. There is a massive difference is report between the two, as expected. Now, in the indoor range there is a lot of echo and quite a bit of noise when the round impacts the steel backstop. This was especially evident when using the sub sonic round. I could clearly hear the "ppffftt" of the suppressor immediately followed by the loud "thwack" of the round impacting the steel backstop (I shot a video that I will post later after I edit it down). I will take more video when I shoot it outside later this weekend to compare the two rounds noise level.

Overall, I like it. To the people who are disappointed, please keep in mind that it costs $350. It is by no means a precision rifle. For my needs and expectations, it meets them with flying colors. This rifle will find a home in my E&E bag, since it will make a great small-game rifle (people are regularly taking game up to mule deer with 300 Blackout). I have already found a screw that will allow me to quickly take the rifle apart without tools ($1.10 from Home Depot...I will use some cold blue on it later).

40AB2BDD-55AE-458B-AFD6-CEB7D1D57FF4-427-0000003000703CE0.jpg

F9DBC72E-8929-4CA9-8360-1B00872EB981-427-000000300F8C1455.jpg

6D96425C-99EF-419F-ABEA-4A37AE501339-427-0000002FF5282E4F.jpg

D20451C7-993D-4A6B-BD3A-214A62526784-427-0000002FEDFEA8FE.jpg

09B715E0-61A7-4E48-8BEC-9CC17CFEF27E-427-0000002FFB02D6DD.jpg

DC735BA3-E3C9-4830-929C-DEA1D01CCC78-427-000000300AE952DA.jpg

4C70CA95-CD66-46F8-A9B4-D660B71C89CE-427-000000301AC8049E.jpg

CE9856C3-82C0-468E-B7F4-08D0A1E1D392-427-000000301FB1AD66.jpg

E88D6810-0922-4694-827F-0FD02C924D9B-427-000000302514C81A.jpg

28475ABD-1158-4280-A892-D77E3F032F9E-427-000000302BCED433.jpg

Got to do some plinking yesterday.
Has about the same accuracy potential as my T/C in 300 Whisper (1 in 10") with the light bullets I was shooting.
Not much shift with or without the can.
I like magnification but I'm thinking a red dot will find a home on it soon. I've got an old Aimpoint 2000 that might fill the bill.
Glad I got one.
20120905_101704.jpg

In stock, don't know. Mine came from Bullseye in GA, but they say demand has far outstripped supply, and mine was purchased long, long ago - 1 year (minus 4 days, to be exact.)

Interesting to hear that some triggers are breaking at 5 and some at/about 10.

Mine is off to the smith shortly.

As an aside, I own a handi in 45/70 and it is a 1MOA gun (about), but it has a better trigger break. I don't doubt that, with some attention, this gun could be much more accurate, but how much $$ do you wish to pour into a $350 gun?

And a 2MOA dot sight would be functional, but it is damn near impossible, at my skill level at least, to get sub-MOA from a non-magnified optic with a 2MOA or larger aiming point. Then again, I don't shoot mine inside 100 yards much.

As stated initially, in the context of a $350 gun, I am happy with mine. After the kinks are worked out, it'll be a thoroughly entertaining gun to shoot.

Mine came from Bullseye. It was one of the extras they had ordered. I think they are sold out now...

Range report?

Anybody tested this little rifle at 100 with SUBSONIC ammo?

Really interested to hear how it does.

Autreys armory in Fayetteville, Ga had ten in stock when I bought mine last month.

We had two of them at the shop I work at a few weeks back and both sold pretty fast. They exist but getting them is slooooow.

I love the handi rifle in .300 blk Here it is next to the Micro seven ( my favorite)

Heck, I even took mine out to 400 yards.