• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300win, wthby or ultra?

caddokiller

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
texas
Im building a rifle for elk hunting and long range shooting. Not competition just fun. Im trying to decide between the win, wthby or ultra mag. Ive heard that the belted cartridges on the ultra make it more accurate?? Is this true? What do you think and why?

Re: .300win, wthby or ultra?

Any myths you hear about the belted cartidges are 'typically' untrue. I'd go 300WM just because there is better quality brass for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any myths you hear about the belted cartidges are 'typically' untrue. I'd go 300WM just because there is better quality brass for it. </div></div>

+1 I handload for 4 different belted mags and I have never seen it make a bit of difference.

The ultra mag does not have a belt on it.

I would also pick the 300 WM. It will kill anything you are going to be shooting at with great efficiency. There are more brass choices also. For the 300 RUM, Remington and Nosler are the choices for brass and the Nosler brass has not been available recently.

I would either go for the 300WM or the Ultra.The WM will be easier to get stuff for.But there is something always telling me that I need a 300ultramag.

I've had all three and I'd go with the 300win. It will do everything the others will do.

300WM!

Ample factory/commercially produced hunting and match ammo selections, easily passes the Twodot test, capable of taking any game in NA with the proper ammo, plenty of excellent components for reloading (if you reload) including brass, etc., etc.

Go win or Rum. All 3 are longrange and closerange elk pounding machines.

You really can't go wrong with either, but don't think the win can keep up with the rum. It can't, but the added performance comes at a price-powder, recoil, barrel life, etc...

Don't forget the 300wsm....or 300rsaum....

Decisions, decisions...

I've shot around a dozen elk with 180 accubonds out of the RUM and it flat out rocks their world.

Forgot. The nosler brass is great and the rem ain't half bad either. It's not lapua, but it works fine.

I would go 300win just for the brass and throat life. Just have to add alittle more dope.

I just reread your post and think the win or roy would be the way to go. Since you are more likely to be able to find ammo if you loose or forget yours. I see alot more 300 win ammo on shelves then either of the others. I am not saying you use factory ammo, but if you need to it is alot easier to find.

I started Elk hunting with a Remington 30-06 and the moved to a Weatherby .300 Wthby. Recently I have acquired two rifles in the .300 Win Mag caliber. Over the years this is some of the things I've learned. (I should mention I have no experience with the newer .300 RUM)

1. The .300 WinMag and .300 Whby are belted cases, the
.300 RUM is not.
2. The .300 Whby is more powerful than the .300 WM;
however, on paper the .300 RUM is more powerful than
the .300 Whby. In reality I don't think it is. Reminton
is a bit timid about their factory loadings and tend to
under load the cases. Weatherby is not timid. You would
have to handload the .300 RUM to get it to be more
powerful and it can be done.
3. Any .300 Whby loading will only take a .300 Whby casing
and the brass is hard to find.
4. The same holds true for .300 Whby factory loaded
ammunition. It is expensive and hard to find.
5. The .300 Win Mag stuff is also expensive but it is not hard
to find, it's everywhere. There are several brass
manufacturers. There are many bullet manufacturers.
It's popular.
6. I cannot imagine the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum ever
being as popular as the .300 Winchester Magnum.

Therefore,

My opinion is to go with the .300 Winchester Magnum.
wink.gif

I had a 300 weatherby built and it is really missed. I could push 200 grain bullets at 3000 fps or a little faster. Mind you to get these velocities the loads were HOT and hard on brass. All in all the other two rounds mentions are very capable but I still miss my 300 weatherby and I will be having another one built in the future.

I own a sporting rifle in 300 RUM and I have to say, its an incredible long range weapon. It will take some getting used to if you are not accustomed to recoil and muzzle blast. My rifle is loaded with 200 gr Sierra Game Kings running along at a leisurely 2900 fps or so. I love the reduced recoil compared to a full house loading and it shoots .5" three shot groups all day long (I don't shoot five round groups because the barrel has an aggressive taper and heats up quite a bit after three rounds). With the 26" barrel it will do the advertized 3300 fps with 180 grain factory ammo and with hand rolled ammo with an appropriate powder you can get a little more. If you are ok with a longer tube you can get a lot more.
I have never weighed the rig, but scoped (bushnell 3-9x50 30mm tube) and loaded (8 rounds total in gun and sling) I would guess its under 8 lbs.
Many larger retailers carry 300 RUM factory loads now too. And Remington loads three "power level" loads. The first is a match of 30-06, the second is a match of 300 winmag, and the third is full Ultramag.

tater

300 win mag....smoked a couple elk with it just fine...
All the previous posts make excellent cases as well for the 300 win mag.

300 WM unless you really need the extra lil bit of oomph...that you can get from the RUM. Wish the new slow powders that WM will do things they won't load in a factory load with the 200+ gr bullets.