• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WM - 26" enough? Hold out for 28"

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
Looking to wrap up a 300WM Savage build. The 26" barrels are available at may places, but to go to a 28" I'm looking a 3-5 month special order wait. I was building this to try to get up to Thunder Valley and give some ELR a shot.

Thanks,
Hawk

I would say just throw a wanted to buy add on here. People seem to always have a 30 cal blank laying around that your smith can do the work to..unless you are talking a pre-fab. barrel..

EDIT: And yea, I think 26" is fine. I did 24" + brake on my last build (re700) and 26" + brake on my latest Savage.

There you go (sadly I don't have a picture of the gun after repainting and putting a magazine in it):

Last edited:
26" will be fine. However, I want to say that most competitive shooters who use a .300 WM, use a 24" barrel. The benefit of a 26" to 28" barrel is negligible.

If you are buying a 28" barrel to shoot elr with berger 230s you may also want to try and get a custom twist. 9.5 or 9.75 will stabilize 230s much better than a 10. A lot of the guys shooting 300 norma have gone to a faster twist for the heavies such as the 230s 240smk etc.

If you are buying a 28" barrel to shoot elr with berger 230s you may also want to try and get a custom twist. 9.5 or 9.75 will stabilize 230s much better than a 10. A lot of the guys shooting 300 norma have gone to a faster twist for the heavies such as the 230s 240smk etc.

Thanks brother, I'll look into this option if I decide to special order.

Hawk I'm in a similar predicament. If you're dedicated to ELR and hand loading, want to squeeze every ounce and maximize the use of a 300wm, longer barrel will be worth it.

Also +1 on what glock Dan said. Depends on what grain your shooting. Bartlein told me 1:10 will be fine up to 220grains then after you'd want to adjust your twist rate.

Also consider if you're adding a can as it will also add velocity.

Gl with your build!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I will be adding a brake, but not really worried about handling as I'll be using strictly prone at an open range. Appreciate the insights.

I got a straight 1.25 broughton in 300win mag on my 112 bvss. Oh it's 32" + brake. It's stupid accurate, but I never get to shoot it. Can't come to part with it thou... If I did it over. 26" is all ya need! Extra velocity blah blah blah... I can hardly. Fit it in the truck.

I got a straight 1.25 broughton in 300win mag on my 112 bvss. Oh it's 32" + brake. It's stupid accurate, but I never get to shoot it. Can't come to part with it thou... If I did it over. 26" is all ya need! Extra velocity blah blah blah... I can hardly. Fit it in the truck.

Hahaha! I hear ya, I know I don't have any cases that fit my other braked 26" with my 14.5 LOP.