• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300wm VS 300rum < 2k yds

TxDerek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2020
Snyder, Texas
Purely for a 30 caliber prone competition rifle for less than 2000y, would you prefer a 28" 300wm or a 30" 300rum if the quality of components and build are similar?

Obviously the 300rum has more case capacity and can launch the 215 bergers faster than the 300wm, but when you consider all of the factors such as barrel life, availability of components, etc... Where do you land?

The Rum will launch a 230 hybrid at 3000+ FPS from a 30” barrel. I don’t think a 300 win with a 215 would outperform past 1000 yds. I shoot a 30-338 Lapua with similar case capacity. 230 Berger at 3125 FPS from a 29”. It’s just barely supersonic at 2000 yards. I think it comes down to what percentage of shots you want to take past 1500 yards. You have to pay for performance.

300 PRC is probably the middle ground for what you’re asking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulezoo
In the competitions I shoot in, the big points are after 1500y, or the ones that really matter are.

This is all great to hear. Currently running 230 atips in my 300wm currently, just acquired a 300rum in a trade for another gun so I have been curious.

Interesting question, I am wondering myself since I just got an almost brand new 300rum almost for free. Was thinking to sell the 300win or keep it with the 300rum.

When you get a rifle for free, that changes the dynamics of the question.

Otherwise like above I would have said .300 PRC. Blast, recoil, barrel life, inherent accuracy and etc are much better with the PRC.

Watch the videos 4AW recently did about the 300 RUM.
Pretty interesting and they seem to be liking the results.

Badass! We are setting up a 2+ mile range on our family property, I'll be doing most of my shooting there and in comps. I'm excited now!

any reason you're not considering a 300PRC or 30 Sherman Magnum?

very good brass
similar speeds to RUM
very efficient/high barrel life
CIP mag length with optimal bullet placement

That was a very motivating video, especially since the longest I'll take it is 2640y just for fun and less than 2k for my comps. Can't wait until it gets here Monday.

Reactions: jasent