• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300wm vs 7rm external ballistics past 1000yrds?

Bladestryke82

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2013
I'm sure this topic has come up more than once or twice but I'm trying to find a direct comparison of external ballistics between the two rounds. Preferably bullet weights in the 168-180gr weight for the 7mm Rem Mag and 208-220gr for the 300 Win Mag. These should both be over the mid .600 BC range for both calibers.

I'm curious how much more energy the .30 caliber bullets deliver at ranges out to a mile compared to the lighter 7mms with higher velocities.

I'm getting ready to rebarrel my R700 and was originally wanting to go 7mm Rem Mag or 7/300wm but the availability of the 7mm Bergers, Nosler LR hunting bullets is slim to none. 30 caliber seems to be a little more readily available and the 300wm is a military round which in my logic might have a higher priority in production over the 7mm in the U.S. market.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks, I've been playing with some ballistic calculators but I don't know what realistic muzzle velocities are for these size bullets in 26-28" barrel. Any input?

Thanks, I've been playing with some ballistic calculators but I don't know what realistic muzzle velocities are for these size bullets in 26-28" barrel. Any input?

There's a whole subsection full of load data here . . .

Well, I was going to tell you all about how much better the 7rm is vs the 300wm for ELR but then I decided to go back and check my notes. What I found when comparing my current 7RM load to my friend's current 300wm load is that his starts out with significantly more power and by the time it gets to 1700 yds the 300 is still holding an advantage (yet much smaller at this point). In my mind I was thinking that I had the advantage but that was because my old load was over 3150 fps but I decided to stop using it mostly because it just made me uncomfortable. In my opinion 3150 fps would not be a reasonable goal for you to use anyways. I think that with a 7RM and 168's 3000 fps is very realistic and sometimes you might get lucky and find a load that likes to move a little quicker.

For myself I would still choose the 7RM for the reduction in recoil. It is right at my threshold for maximum (especially in my light weight hunting rifle).

I think that if you are truly concerned about having hitting power at one mile you need to look at a larger caliber (ie. 338 Lapua etc).

Please see the ballistics data below.

View attachment 7mm.pdfView attachment 300wm.pdf

This is a great video about cartridge selection. (This whole series is awesome btw)
Unfortunately in this video when he compares the 300wm he chooses a very low BC bullet so it isn't a very fair comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlwoNCNnFA&index=4&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

Last edited:
Why are you worried about energy past 1000 yards.
Because this will be a rifle that sees some long range hunting as well as target shooting with hopes of one day getting the opportunity to take out coyotes and hogs out to a mile or more.

Well, I was going to tell you all about how much better the 7rm is vs the 300wm for ELR but then I decided to go back and check my notes. What I found when comparing my current 7RM load to my friend's current 300wm load is that his starts out with significantly more power and by the time it gets to 1700 yds the 300 is still holding an advantage (yet much smaller at this point). In my mind I was thinking that I had the advantage but that was because my old load was over 3150 fps but I decided to stop using it mostly because it just made me uncomfortable. In my opinion 3150 fps would not be a reasonable goal for you to use anyways. I think that with a 7RM and 168's 3000 fps is very realistic and sometimes you might get lucky and find a load that likes to move a little quicker.

For myself I would still choose the 7RM for the reduction in recoil. It is right at my threshold for maximum (especially in my light weight hunting rifle).

I think that if you are truly concerned about having hitting power at one mile you need to look at a larger caliber (ie. 338 Lapua etc).

Please see the ballistics data below.

View attachment 41104View attachment 41105

This is a great video about cartridge selection. (This whole series is awesome btw)
Unfortunately in this video when he compares the 300wm he chooses a very low BC bullet so it isn't a very fair comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlwoNCNnFA&index=4&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn
I love my 7mm Rem Mag and the ballistics are great with Berger VLDs and Nosler Accubond Long Range but the availability has been less than appealing.

Sadly you have to shoot the heavy .30 cal. bullets to get into the .600 BC range, but the heavier bullets deliver more energy down range too.

Is 3000 fps attainable with a .30 cal. 208gr a-max 300 win mag out of a 28" barrel? Or 2900 fps?

FWIW. I am getting 2901fps with a 28" Krieger. 230gr Berger Hybrid Target .743 G1. Run that against the 7mm and see where you go.

for reference,
i shoot a 7rm, 26" barrel, 2925fps, 66.5gr H4831.

i too had to decide between the 300wm and the 7. went with the 7 cuz of less recoil.
peformance-wise, whatever the 7 can do the 300 can do a little better.

both guns have a good kick and i am getting to the age where i might as well put a brake on it.
my 338 feels like a 223, but it weighs 20lbs... and now that i am spoiled by it, i'd like to have a soft kicking 300wm just for plinking.
the recoil on the 338 is so low, that i can easily reaquire the target and watch the impact - not so with my 7, as it is 1/2 the weight and the recoil moves it significant;y off the bipod legs where reaquisition takes a bit of time.

run JBM trajectory for both the 300 and the 7... then toss a coin.
you'll like either gun for 1000 yard coyote kills.... but yes, the 300 will give you more downrange energy.
if you want to hunt past 1400-1600, might as well step up to a larger caliber like a 338 then.

I have a 7 wsm (similar to RM) in a long action that shoots the 180 vld at 3150 fps pretty accurately to a mile in a consistent 10-15 mph cross wind.

I have owned a 300 win mag and I found the recoil too heavy. I stick with the 7 because it's easier to shoot.

You may need a little more gun to be shooting hogs at a mile. Not that the 7 or 300 wouldn't make it, but there isn't much energy that far out. But if you are limiting yourself to these two rounds, I'd pick the 300.
Xdeano

I would try to run the numbers out. Whoever made the comment about the 7mm B.C. being lower is looking at different information than me. With a Berger Hunting VLD 180gr listed G1 B.C. is .659 and the G7 B.C. .337.... Now with the Match Hybrid Target you get .696 G1 and .356 G7 with .30 215gr. bullets and .743 G1 & .380 G7 with 230gr. bullets.... So basically it's up to you to make the choice because the numbers are so close that the deer want notice a difference inside 1,500yds. Make the choice on bullet availability (what you can get the most of at all times), plus recoil came up somewhere above. I know my 7mmSTW with a muzzle brake kicks less than my 270Win. without a brake, and both are hunting weight rifles. With hunting loads your not going to find any bullets with a higher B.C. than 7mm. I don't know of any hunting purpose round for .30 cal. with a B.C. higher. If you want to use Match bullets that's your choice but with standard hunting bullets your not going to have the same energy with a 300Win. mag vs. 7mmRem. mag.... The 7mag. will have more energy out at the further distance due to it's higher B.C. holding onto that energy. With Match bullets, I don't know, the numbers need to be ran. But still, you can reach a certain point where that heavier bullet starts loosing its advantage if it's to heavy for the powder capacity available. Thanks Hope that Helped Some, BullyDog

Oh, by the way, you don't need but 1,000-1,250lb/in. energy to kill hog and deer size game efficiently. 1,500lb./in. on elk size game. Them numbers were stated by a hand-full of well known professional hunters and writers. The kind of men that's done two or three GrandSlams in their long lives. So calculate out to what range your selected load has that energy. Then you can feel comfort in the fact that a well place shot will have no problem. Thanks Again

I just dumped my 7 and bought a .338 Lapua so I could extend my range on muleys and elk out to 1500 yards with out worry. That said we run a 230 Hybrid out of a 29in Brux rite at 2875fps in our 300 Win. This rifle flattens shit a long ways out and holds its own with the Lapua running a 300gr Hybrid @ 2750. The 230 is one hell of a bullet in the Win Mag and can be even better in the Norma if your looking to rebarrel anyway.

In litz's book accuracy and precision he has several chapters on the 300 win mag rounds. Basically with the 230 berger otm it has a g7 of .37 only slightly worse than the 300 grain berger 338 with a g7 of .38 . So if u can get that bullet in quantity u can get a 300 win mag to be the near ballistic equal of the 338 lapua which is amazing. As others have stated decide what your game is deer/hogs or elk and how far u really want to shoot and then check the energy numbers. A lot of that Data is in both of litz's books and as far as I am concerned they were the best 70 bucks I have spent on the sport. U can get e copies from amazon. What u want to kill and how far out will determine your best caliber choice with rifle weight and recoil being secondary factors. Imo gl!

Is 3000 fps attainable with a .30 cal. 208gr a-max 300 win mag out of a 28" barrel? Or 2900 fps?

I'm shooting the 208 a max 300 win mag and averaging 2830 fps with 76.5 grains of h1000. There's still plenty of room to go higher, that's just where my rifle was accurate and comfortable.

I was getting 2950+/- with the 208, & 210 when I was still using those. 3000fps is very attainable.

I was getting 2950+/- with the 208, & 210 when I was still using those. 3000fps is very attainable.
What length barrel were you shooting out of?

Why are there such velocity variations among the 300win mag shooters? I've seen averages from 2800fps up to 3000fps, that seems like a broad range.

What length barrel were you shooting out of?

Why are there such velocity variations among the 300win mag shooters? I've seen averages from 2800fps up to 3000fps, that seems like a broad range.

Barrel length has a lot to do with velocity and the 300WM. The two most common barrel lengths in the 300WM are 24 and 26". The guys that are pushing the 208/210/215 bullets beyond 2900-fps are doing so with longer barrels such as 28 and 30".

I'm shooting the 215 Berger at 2950fps out of a a 300 Win. Mag w/26" barrel. The 215 Berger has a shorter bearing surface then the 210 Berger and you can potentially push it a little faster. I had a 7RM built around the 180 Berger because of the high BC, but I couldn't get above 2830fps with accuracy. I could push it over 3000fps with Retumbo but my ES was in the 30's. I can push the 215 Berger faster and with a higher BC, so that is a win-win for me.

I agree with jumpalot... I just finished a 300wm and have been testing loads all week ... 28" #4 flutted-pacnor ...(w/brake of coarse)both rl22 and h1000 have easily got the 215's 2950 to 3050fps .. deffinate pressure around the 30505 mark... the 215 is a game changer for the 300wm