• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 1-14" twist loads?

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
Hello everyone. I currently load .308 for my R700 which has a 1-12" twist, and I have the load worked out well for it.

I am however trying to develop a load of my VZ.24 Mauser that is sporting a Parker-Hale target barrel with what I just measured as a 1-14" twist. I went out and got some Hornady 150gr SST's and I have a bunch of brass prepped, I just dont know where I should start. I have never loaded for a barrel this slow..

Anyone have any ideas on a good starting point? I was considering 45gr Varget with a .010" jump to the lands. Anyone have any better options though experience?

Thanks!

Re: .308 1-14" twist loads?

You are going to need a fairly short bullet for that twist. Is there a certain bullet weight you want to use?

150-155g was my thinking.. The 150SST is what I will be experimenting with today.

I'm curious to hear how it went and how cold it was when you where shooting. Also, are you very high above sea level?

Usually only target shooters use twists that slow trying to squeeze that last bit of accuracy out of a shot. Nothing wrong with that idea, but it will limit your choices.

If you have Varget you should use it. It's probably the best choice of powders for the weight range of bullets you're going to be using.

150gr SST 1.203" long
This bullet is a little long for a 1-14 twist. Doesn't mean it wont work, but other factors can possibly make it not fully stabilize such a cold weather.

If the SSTs don't work out here are a couple that will be easier to stabilize:
150gr SMK 1.11" long (about $30 per hundred)

150gr Hornady FMJBT 1.082" long (about $21 per hundred)
These also come in huge bulk packs that actually do make them cheaper. The bullet has a cannelure but so does the SST.

I built up some loads with some IMR3031 (started 10% under minimum and worked up in 1gr increments until I got to 40gr and then worked up to max in .5gr increments)

Turns out it HATED most of those loads, but absolutely LOVED one of them. 39gr of IMR3031 and the 150gr Hornady SST pill left me with a .5 MOA.. Not too shabby considering its also sitting in non-bedded Hogue stock with a crappy bipod. Just about the only good kit on this rifle was the glass (Bushnell HDMR) and a Timney trigger setup just right for me.

The range is around 5800' above sea level and the temp yesterday was in the mid 60's..

Best group of the day. 5-shots @ 100 yards
8254137518_04d76c4d4c_b.jpg

Obviously it's stabilizing just fine in that picture. I'm not sure what other conditions you plan on shooting in though.

Yeah, that load seemed to be liked pretty well. I will load up another 20 or so just to try to duplicate those results.

I am also going to try to get some 150SMK's to test out also. With some of these loads that I was testing, I was getting HUGE spreads (2-3" in some cases) so Im wondering if I just found a sweet spot, if it was a fluke or what..

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any pet loads for a similar twist, I am all ears!