• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 1 in 10 twist bulet choice

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 22, 2010
    South East Ohio
    Hello, and i am a new member here just starting out in tactical rifle shooting. I have been reloading for years for my varmint calibers for my custom rigs but not for the big boys. Will be working on a rifle build shortly when all the parts are in and will have GA do the work. 308 11 or 11. something twist from Bartlein and a 20 inch barrel. I would like any suggestions on what weight of bullet i should be loading for this. This is a great web site with a lot of info and the humor kills me at times. Thanks for any info

Re: 308 1 in 10 twist bulet choice

Any bullet commonly used in a 308 will be fine in that twist.

hey and welcome.OK lets see I like a 168 or 175gn bullet.but most might say a 155gn bullet.but it really depends on just what you are going to do with the rifel.

so if you can really give use more of what you want out of your rifel we can help out better.

I live in Ohio and talked with a real nice fellow i think it was Tom Sarver of thunder valley. Missed the match he told me about but am going to find out when some matches come up and head up their. I want to use this rifle and learn to shoot out to 600 to 1000 yards

again most will say a 155gn bullet will work great for what you are wanting to do.the reason is thet they have a good BC for the bullet.but if you want to really have a go at it try the 208 A-max with R17.some of the guys and now me are really likeing the 208 or even the 210 bergers.they kick a little but fly great bucking the wind.

you can find the info about the 208's with R17 in the bullet rifel forum.

Sounds like you've done some thinking regarding your rifle's parts and whatnot. You stated that you'd like to possibly shoot out to 1k. With the barrel specified (20" 10 twist in .308 win) you may have trouble getting some of the lighter bullets (<175) to accurately travel that far supersonically.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure somebody, somewhere, at some time has accomplished this miraculous feat with lighter bullets and shorter barrels. Just consider doing a bit of homework by reading how other people shoot long accurately and how their rig is setup.

On that note, there is an excellent article-series regarding handloading specifically .308 winchester in the last several issues of Targetshooter.com (it's a free online magazine). If nothing else it's a good read just for the hard data provided, versus the forum conjecture.

Be cool,
    BBB

BBB,
    I will say that there are plenty of people shooting the shorter barrels 24 and under with 155 scenars and 155 grain bullets to 1000yds. To the OP if you go with the 10 twist, id run the 155s or 185 VLDs