• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 16" 1:8 Twist Barrel Questions

el-rey

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2019
I'm in the process of rebarrelling my remington 700. I want short, handy suppressor host. I found a smoking deal on a .308 16" 1:8 twist carbon fiber prefit barrel but I've always been accustomed to the 1:10 twist in my .308s.

My main usage will be for hunting small to medium game and some time at the range. It'll be my dual purpose rig. I'd mainly like to run 165-168grn for hunting (400 yards and in) and heavier pills range work (likely out to 800 yards), but also don't want to pigeonhole myself into not being able to shoot the 150s as well since I like a good bulk pack.

Am I painting myself into a corner if I go for the 1:8 twist 16" .308 barrel? What would you say are the pros and cons of that twist for my application?

Eventually I'd like to reload and maybe even subsonic, but that's lower priority and potentially a pipe dream.

My old Desert Tech Gen 2 uses a 1:8 twist 16in barrels. Works great.
Shoots factory 175 FGMM and 175 TMKs 1/2 moa and is my most accurate subsonic rifle with amax 208s and Lapua 200fmjbt. Nothing wrong with it but might be a little bit more picky on seating depth with the 150s. And for fun I tried the 135s SMK and they weren’t doing good which is no surprise.

Reactions: stello1001
Berger says it will be comfortably stable shooting 150-168gr in 1:10
Pop in the bullets you will be using and your expected velocities.

Reactions: el-rey
Did you end up doing with the 1:8 barrel in 16"? I'm actually looking to run the same setup

I had one, shot great. It started life as a custom built 300blk but i couldnt make it extract worth a flip so I found a standard face bolt and had it rechambered to 308. Under half moa with factory hornady match 168bthp. My cousin has it now, shoots 178 precision hunter around half moa or better depending on who's pulling the trigger. My cousin loves that gun, it wears a SiCo Omega full time. It's a handy, lethal package.

Before I sold it I shot everything from 110gr Sierra hollow points to 225 subs.