• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 @ 1670 yards video and pics

armymedic.2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2008
upstate ny
had some fun the other day at just shy of a mile.

1670 yards with 308 - YouTube

the upper left shot was one of the smk's i threw at it to see if they doped close to the amaxes. the four on the right were all amax. one of them was sideways, the other three point on. The six smk's i fired were three different powder loads, 42.2, 42.4, 42.6. two of each they all flew nearly identical at distance elevation wise, which surprised me.

The amaxes are still packing a punch and shedding their thin copper jacket and deforming. the steel i was shooting was an old tractor part, almost identical to a car hood, maybe a tad stiffer.

Last edited:
Good reason for that happy face! Nice shooting, man, wish I could try my hand at that distance more often.

I was able to stretch my .308 (M40A3 FGMM 175) out to 1350, but 1670 is badass! I am also interested in some info about your setup! well done!

I'm still trying to get to a thousand...(600 is my best to date, but that rifle was just replaced with something that should do the job. Any tricks to share with a tactical pistol shooter turned wannabe sniper?

Thanks guys. It was a hoot. The rifle is a rem 700 sps. Factory action and barrel. Timney trigger surgeon bottom metal. Home made feet on harris bipod.

Medallist stock. Pillar bedded.
5.5x22 nightforce. Nightforce one piece base/rings 20 moa

Lapua brass. Cci primer. 42.2 imr 4064. 178 amax

that's ridiculous man, well done! and out of a factory action no less!

Good shooting, congrats!

Those 178 AMax look to be holding great consistency out there.

My 308s are factory SPS too, and they play pretty well out there in never-never land. I'm launching the 208gr AMax 2600 fps, at 4500' elevation.