• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 169gr BTHP

rskibo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2020
I bought some of the new 169s from Sierra. I’m loading with IMR 4064 loading to 2.800 which ends up at 2.150 BTO. As you can see the recommend starting at 43gr. However as I seat the bullet I can hear it crunching the powder. I backed it off to 42gr and still the same thing. I busted open a Federal GM 168 and the powder was clearly different, (which I expected) and wt was 40.7gr. Would the compressed load concern you? Thought?

Attachments

• 47ED6A3D-1BAB-4679-B37C-A293D81EAA93.png
    47ED6A3D-1BAB-4679-B37C-A293D81EAA93.png
    295.6 KB · Views: 39
Im running 43.1g of 4064 in my Rem PSS using fed COTS brass. Im jumping .192 into the lands and my CBTO is identical to yours. I have zero pressure signs and shoots accurately, believe it or not.

MV is 2730 on average out of the stock Remington 24” barrel.

Im running 43.1g of 4064 in my Rem PSS using fed COTS brass. Im jumping .192 into the lands and my CBTO is identical to yours. I have zero pressure signs and shoots accurately, believe it or not.

MV is 2730 on average out of the stock Remington 24” barrel.
Are you getting the compression? And I’ll be running these out of a AR platform.

Are you getting the compression? And I’ll be running these out of a AR platform.
I hear crunching, whether its truely a compressed load, im not sure. But even if it is, im below the overpressure threshold.

For an AR10, id start at 41g (40.5 or so if suppressed) and work up in .3g increments as semis arent nearly as pressure tolerant in most cases.

I hear crunching, whether its truely a compressed load, im not sure. But even if it is, im below the overpressure threshold.

For an AR10, id start at 41g (40.5 or so if suppressed) and work up in .3g increments as semis arent nearly as pressure tolerant in most cases.
Sound advice. Thanks. I will start there and work up. It’s a 20in barrel Sig DMR.

Sound advice. Thanks. I will start there and work up. It’s a 20in barrel Sig DMR.
You’re welcome, you will like the 169.

Feel fee to check out my load dev thread using it in my mk11. Note that IMR4064 is a little faster burning compared to Varget, which is what i used in that work up

Reactions: rskibo
~43 gr in Fed Brass was the 4064 FGMM 168 SMK load a while back. Several looks at the 40.x by several people has yet to clearly identify the powder. It’s not unusual to have compressed loads with 4064.

EDIT: Best guess on 40.x loads for FGMM was AR-Comp.

Last edited: