• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 @ 1760....

Re: .308 @ 1760....

5 out of 10 is much better than "good" on 24x24 steel at a mile, especially with 308. That size is less than 1.5 moa at that range.

To put that in context- 1 mile per hour of wind makes a difference of 33.5 inches at that range with a 175 matchking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to hit a 24x24 say 5 out of 10 is good to go with a .308. </div></div>

LOL... Would love to see you demonstrate this.

I hit a mile target at an azprc match with my 308 using southwest 175gr ammo. As long as you don't mind wasting ammo it shouldn't be a problem to do it. Your worst enemy is going to be wind. Elevation was right on shot after shot but as for windage, you are basically at the mercy of it. I could be within a foot of the target for 2-3 shots then the wind changes and I am 20 feet right. So yes it's possible and I wouldn't stand at the target while someone is shooting, but 308 wouldn't be my first choice. It's fun to do just to try, but next time I went to azorc I didn't even try to do it again. Didn't feel like going through a box of ammo.

It took me something like 102.5 moa... So with a 20 moa base and my old vortex viper 6.5-20x50 I had to max out elevation, dial back to 7x and hold somewhere in the middle of the bottom thick bar of the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hit a mile target at an azprc match with my 308 using southwest 175gr ammo. As long as you don't mind wasting ammo it shouldn't be a problem to do it. Your worst enemy is going to be wind. Elevation was right on shot after shot but as for windage, you are basically at the mercy of it. I could be within a foot of the target for 2-3 shots then the wind changes and I am 20 feet right. So yes it's possible and I wouldn't stand at the target while someone is shooting, but 308 wouldn't be my first choice. It's fun to do just to try, but next time I went to azorc I didn't even try to do it again. Didn't feel like going through a box of ammo.

It took me something like 102.5 moa... So with a 20 moa base and my old vortex viper 6.5-20x50 I had to max out elevation, dial back to 7x and hold somewhere in the middle of the bottom thick bar of the reticle. </div></div>

I've also had to hold over with the reticle. My PM-II only has 72 moa available. Feels strange with the center of your reticle over the treeline 2000+ yards away...had to go back over the ballistics to be sure I wasn't going to launch a round into the neighboring town...

It can be done. I tried after reading MontanaMarine's post on the suject. Thought it sounded fun, thats what i do it for, so I tried it, and it was. Find and read Montana's post and give it a shot.(or 100 shots). LOTS of RL-17, winchester brass, and 208 Amax bullets loaded really long. Im not saying that my 308 is a hammer at 1 mile, or that i am Super Sniper. But like anouther poster said "I wouldn't like to be standing down range". Consecutive hits are possible with GOOD conditions. Its just for fun. 1500ft elevation is not going to help much,(I am @ 5000) but try and see.

The secret is gonna be to try and find the 30 cal bullet that transitions well. Gonna be tough, but not impossible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The secret is gonna be to try and find the 30 cal bullet that transitions well. Gonna be tough, but not impossible. </div></div>
Brad,
Did you think transitioning was the problem with the 308's that shot at the mile in ashfork? It seemed like the main problem was just wind. I would think if there was transitioning problems with the 175's they would be all over elevation wise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can be done. I tried after reading MontanaMarine's post on the suject. Thought it sounded fun, thats what i do it for, so I tried it, and it was. Find and read Montana's post and give it a shot.(or 100 shots). LOTS of RL-17, winchester brass, and 208 Amax bullets loaded really long. Im not saying that my 308 is a hammer at 1 mile, or that i am Super Sniper. But like anouther poster said "I wouldn't like to be standing down range". Consecutive hits are possible with GOOD conditions. Its just for fun. 1500ft elevation is not going to help much,(I am @ 5000) but try and see. </div></div>

This thread has what your looking for. Lots of good info.
308 Win, 208 Amax, RL17

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The secret is gonna be to try and find the 30 cal bullet that transitions well. Gonna be tough, but not impossible. </div></div>

I agree with this. I plan on using some of Berger's new 175 tactical bullets. They are designed with this in mind. ( I'll also try some M118LR, though.)

you'll have better luck with 155 scenars or 150 amax and you'll have to push it close to 3k or it will never get close to it. If you have a longer barrel 26"+ will get you the stability and more FPS at greater distances... check out this youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzGuJK8QJI