• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leverevolution powder for 308

ironman56

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
I've got 8lbs of leverevolution powder , and want to work up a load for my AR10 308 with 168gr SMK pills, did a search and came up empty, I know this powder is not recommended by the manufacturer for this caliber , but have read on other sites where some people were getting good results with it and 150 gr solid copper bullets. Another guy was using 165 moly coated bullets with 48.8 gr and getting 2750 fps , IIRC , so I'm thinking of starting out with 46grs and work up from there, has anyone here used this powder for 308?, I also have 10lbs of Data 2230C that I bought when I was competing in high power service rifle with the AR15. Loaded some 308 with it at 41.5 grs with 168SMKs and got 2600fps , but had signs of over pressure, not real bad but enough for concern, but the best accuracy of any load so far in that rifle , so I'll back off to 41 gr and try again. But really want to try the leverevolution powder., only had this rifle for 2 months , my 1st AR 10, kinda disappointed that it didn't shoot the fedral 168 match or the 175 fedral match ammo better than 1.5 moa at 100yrds,

my 1st AR 10,
This is likely the reason you're not shooting 1MOA or better as FGMM are certainly capable of it in an otherwise well constructed semi auto platform

Semi large frames are much less forgiving of fundimentals execution errors and the errors dont have to be egrigious. They can be very subtle and not apparent when shooting bolt guns, esp if the bolt gun is on the heavier side.

What length barrel?

• Love
Reactions: Old Corps 8541
Lever works great in the .308 Win. It's just a slightly slower burn rate to Varget, and is right beside CFE-223 on the burn rate chart, which IS a recommended powder for .308 Win. I've loaded LeverEvolution with just as good a success as Varget in mine. 👍🏼

As for the accuracy issues, like @nn8734 said, most likely your issue that you're not comfortable with the AR platform. It takes A LOT of getting used to, to be proficient at shooting groups. Anyone can grab one and got shoot steel plates where precision isn't as important as actually hitting the target, but precision shooting an AR-style platform takes LOTS of shooting and practice. I've always shot AR's but never got into trying to shoot them with any sort of real precision (groups) until about 7 years ago, and it took me forever to get comfortable with the mechanics of it. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I started finally getting proficient with the AR's to putting down really nice groups like I do with my bolt-actions.

It is a totally different animal going form a traditional-stocked rifle to an AR platform for precision. A bolt-action in a traditional hunting-style stock everything is right there in a line (mid grip, mid barrel, low scope)... Whereas the AR, your grip is way at the bottom, your barrel is in the middle, and your scope is way up top, thus making your subtle shifts into much more noticeable shifts than they would be with a bolt-action. You will also notice this shift in shooting skills when going from a traditional bolt-action, to a chassis gun, because the chassis puts things more into place of where they would be on an AR (low grip, mid barrel, high scope).

Reactions: Parkerized 1
I've been shooting AR15's since 1997 almost exclusively, hardly ever shoot my bolts anymore , however, this is my 1st AR 10 and it is a bit different, but not a whole new ball game , and I did try to use good components, wilson combat barrel, areo upper and lower , rise trigger, and shooting off a good rest , a vortex scope, so not bargain basement parts , but not top teir either, I'll get there ,just gotta do some tweaking , and I did shim and bed the barrel so that's not a issue.

20 inch WC super sniper on the barrel , should have spent a little more and got a rainier

From Hodgdon.

1704021003509.png

Several High Master prone shooters in the PNW were using Leverevolution in our .308s for our 5/600 prone matches. It was grain for grain same as Varget (46.5gr/155gr bullet). Shot great, high X cleans. When it was cool out. Crazy heat induced pressure spikes when it got around 75f.
John