• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 2.005" to 2.015". Different length & velocity

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
Just wondering for peace of mind. Say you have a case that is 2.006" & you have one that is 2.013". You load same powder charge and oal. Does this affect velocity in the extreme for Lr shooting at all? Just hypothetical but I am OCD when it comes to exact measurements. If a case is in sammi specs does it really matter, if so to what extent ?????

Re: .308 2.005" to 2.015". Different length & velocity

I have thought about this myself but have never been able to prove anything either way. My personal theory is that the neck gets blown open in a millisecond so a .00whatever doesnt matter...

I’m no expert on internal ballistics but my guess would be that the trim to length has no effect on the velocity. As long as you seat to the same depth every time the actual length of the neck of the case has no effect on case capacity once the bullet is seated. In my mind all that matters is how much usable case capacity there is once the bullet is seated and how much of that space is filled by the powder, where the neck and bullet bearing surface meet is unusable space. The neck tension may be slightly less on cases with shorter necks but as long as you still have sufficient neck tension to hold the bullet in place that should not make a difference.

As I said though I am no expert on the matter, only offering my opinion, hopefully someone will come along and confirm or deny what I have said.

Interesting. Sound like an expert to me. Thanks guys

The difference in accuracy between the two would depend on the headspace that you used when figuring out the COAL in the first place. If you are sitting .25 off the lands of your rifle to begin with then the .01 difference is nil. If you are .025 off the lands as you should be then you may notice a slight difference but I wouldn't worry that much.

Not slamming you at all as I don't know you, but I doubt you can shoot good enough to tell the difference if there is any at all. However I do try to keep all my brass closer than .010" it is usually not a problem. If you trim your brass exact one time they will not get too far out of those specs as they grow, if you have your die set up well.

Is 1000 yards good enough? Lol GAP Crusader gets it done fairly well. Oh and my nightforce helps a little bit too.
smile.gif
. Just kidding around but I do hit 1k fairly often. No offense taken at all

I should mention it was simply a curiosity question.