• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 (7.62 NATO) Rifle Suggestions

midnight44

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
WV
I've been looking at several options so far, but I'm stuck on what rifle to choose... Here's what I'm looking for in my rifle:

1.) .308 (7.62 NATO)
2.) Fires ~1000+ yds accurately
3.) 18" or 20" barrel(preferrably 18")
4.) QUAD Rails (Picatinny/Weaver)
5.) Chrome, Titanium Nitride, or Nickel Teflon plated Bolt Carrier option
6.) Adjustable(Collapsible) buttstock
7.) PREFERRABLY- Regulated stroke gas piston (instead of the more common direct impingement)

Re: .308 (7.62 NATO) Rifle Suggestions

Sounds like you need the highest speed lowest drag rig out there money can buy. Try shooting to 800 in variable winds with holding 2 MOA first. What you need vs read on the net and want may be diff. 18" driving 175 SMK's around 2550fps @ 0'ASL to 915m? Define accurate are we talking consistant human sized tgts? Or pinching groups in BR? JFYI 800m is just about enough range for wind and 5m errors in est to get to you when that egg starts going transonic. But id rec any 308 Ar with a good pipe and great trigger. My broke ass runs a DPMS LRT 308 and its good for 1 MOA

DPMS SASS will fill the bill the 1000 yard stuff well never tried box ammo so I cannot say but with handloads it will punch paper just fine. Mine shoots fine for what it is

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really, post #1 and this is what you bring? Read this entire forum section first then make a decision, unless you need hand holding.

Just friendly advice, don't be this guy (it should also give you a laugh).. and welcome!:
The video is the shit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgSSAh8Cqs&feature=related </div></div>

I recently picked up a 20” POF in 7.62 and it failed miserably and completely the first time I took it to the range. I maybe got 40rds through it. I sent it to POF, they polished and spec’d out the chamber, headspace, etc and replaced the entire BGC. Then they put 4-5 different rounds of all shapes and sizes (100 total) through it. Turn around time 1 day. It’s on its way back to me now. Can’t say I’m thrilled with my initial experience, especially compared to every other firearm I ever purchased. I am on the other hand thrilled with their customer service. Top notch.

Right now I’m holding my breath that it will eat whatever I feed it and that it doesn’t have any of the accuracy issues I have read about. I’ll get to play with it next week. I hope it meets my expectations. If not, it’s for sale.

So if your looking at POF’s, look hard. I’m not saying there junk, but they have been known to have feeding issues, sticking brass and the tendency for the 4-5th round to not group with the first three. It seems to be more prevalent in the older models and some issues with the barrel treating process (mine is a 09’).

If I end up selling the POF I will be looking into the LMT’s.

Armalie SASS or look at LWRC 's REPR. I own a 20 in .308 repr and it easily reaches 1000 and is consistent. Optic is a fully loaded USO sn-3 and I alwaysnshoot suppressed with a thunder best 30p-1. Expense but you get what you pay for. By far the most accurate piston gun inhave ever shot and when you turn the gas system off it operates exactly as a bolt gun and I would go out on a limb and say just as accurate as their are no moving partsmwhen the gas is off.

Well this is what I carried. I have hit 1k with her.

Her previous owner was much more accurate that me and could consistantly hit 1k. In fact the tick marks are his from down round the Marjeh AO.

DSCF1125.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boom2336</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well this is what I carried. I have hit 1k with her.

Her previous owner was much more accurate that me and could consistantly hit 1k. In fact the tick marks are his from down round the Marjeh AO.
</div></div>

Holy hell what does that thing weigh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqidd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better yet, what is it? </div></div>

An updated 1950 ass kicking machine!

She is a fairly heavy hog. I think about 12 w/o muns night optic. 14-16 w/muns. She is a modified m-14. We call it an EMR in the Corps, the other branches call it the EBR. If you wanted to recreate it, just get an m-1 and drop it in the sage chassis. Then get you hands on a S&B scope.

Boom - that's the best quote I have seen in a while. F*cking awesome, and nice rig too.

I would've guessed 16-18+.

A buddy of mine was construction battalion in Marjah running a dozer. He described that country as the asshole of the world (his previous posting was South Korea). I think he has the dubious distinction of being the only CB to ever get shot at with an RPG. When his enlistment was up he couldn't wait to get the hell out of there but I convinced him to re-up it since there's no work around here anyways. So I think he's headed back to Afghanistan next month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would've guessed 16-18+</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powell44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2.) Fires ~1000+ yds accurately </div></div>

Thats going to have more to do with you than the rifle. As for the rest of your 'requirements' I hope you have about 2500-3500 set aside for the rifle and another 1500-3000 set aside for the glass.

Good luck.

Basic Old-School is still cool - and still gets it done out to any distance you can see ...
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">7.62mm NATO M1A?</span>
CIMG1434.jpg

CIMG1433.jpg

Take a look at LWRC REPR, POF P308, Rock River LAR-8, FNH FNAR & FNH SCAR-17. They are all nice and meet most of your criteria.

I would throw in the LMT MWS too. I have one and I am happy with it. You can find tons of info on this system.