• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Action Suggestions

mcimma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Mass.
Hello All,

In the planning process of a new barreled action. This will sit in my McMillan A5 with R&D Precision bottom metal, NF 3.5-15x50 NXS w/NF Alloy rings. I will also us my Timney trigger.

I know I already want a Bartlein in either 18 or 20". Im looking for suggestions on custom actions...

This will not be a bench gun, its a working gun..

Thanks..

Re: 308 Action Suggestions

I would say go with a stiller predator or tac 30 action. They have them in stock and are good people to deal with. I have a 308 Predator and Bartlein barrel that shoots amazing no matter what I put through it. Scott at Stiller's barreled it for me.

bighorn, I don't have one, but from I've seen, they are one of the best custom actions out there, and they aren't as expensive as the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say go with a stiller predator or tac 30 action. They have them in stock and are good people to deal with. I have a 308 Predator and Bartlein barrel that shoots amazing no matter what I put through it. Scott at Stiller's barreled it for me. </div></div>

Same here. I use them always on my personal builds, and never had any issues. I also like the Surgeons, and Difiance actions. You will not go wrong with any of these. Best of luck.

A friend received his Bighorn action today and it is a work of art. They are some of the best people in the business to deal with. He was told 14 weeks for the action and received it in four. Thats unheard of. Hope this helps. There is a link on my website to Bighorn. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcimma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the consensus on the RSR? </div></div>

RSR was a great action for the money but Surgeon dropped it last year. There may be some floating around if you look hard enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcimma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the consensus on the RSR? </div></div>

RSR was a great action for the money but Surgeon dropped it last year. There may be some floating around if you look hard enough.
</div></div>

They're tuff to find unless you want to wait. I was going to get one but the chassis and barrel blank were in stock and so was the 591s so that's what I got.

Get the 591 if you want Surgeon. It's a solid, track proven combo. I love mine to death! It has surpassed my expectations but it wears a Brux barrel and was built by Mark @ Short Action Customs so it should be a tack driver.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon 591/Bighorn/Alpha 11</div></div>

This is the order I would go as well.

I'd talk to mark at short action customs And his new custom action a buddy of mind has one and loves it. Mark seems like a great guy to deal with def gtg

I'm waiting for my Bighorn Arms action to arrive

Bighorn Arms

I've heard nothing but very good things on Mark Gordon's actions as well.

For custom actions, I have more Surgeons than anything else.

They're nearby but I've never needed their customer service, because I haven't had any problems.

The GA Precison Templar, the LA Precison Signature, and the Bighorn should be good choices.

Call GAP and have them do a Templar barreled action for you, to your specs.

Stiller Tac-30 and Rock Creek barrel...pros, cons???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcimma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stiller Tac-30 and Rock Creek barrel...pros, cons??? </div></div>

I wouldn't get that combination it will be way too accurate.
laugh.gif

I got nearly the same combo on my 300 WSM and it is a hammer. Do it you will be happy. You might go with the AW cut action if you ever plan on running AW style mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcimma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stiller Tac-30 and Rock Creek barrel...pros, cons??? </div></div>

I wouldn't get that combination it will be way too accurate.
laugh.gif

I got nearly the same combo on my 300 WSM and it is a hammer. Do it you will be happy. You might go with the AW cut action if you ever plan on running AW style mags.
</div></div>

Great advice...Thanks