• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 308 bbl for my rem 700 sps v

RBrady308

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2009
TX or Alaska or somewhere between
Alright fellas, i have a remington 700 sps vamint in a 308 and am shooting a bit over 1 moa at 200yrds and am looking to change out my factory bbl. but before i go through 1 million gigs of internet pages looking for barrel i would like to know what the hide has to offer in info for 308 barrels thanks

Re: 308 bbl for my rem 700 sps v

I would recomend you choose a smith from here on the hide and then ask them what they suggest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recomend you choose a smith from here on the hide and then ask them what they suggest. </div></div>

Roger that, Flyboy.

If you get a barrel from one of the major makers listed by deadly0311, you are going to get a good one. Who screws the barrel to the action is what makes the juju happen.

david

I have a never fired Remington .308 fluted barrel just sitting here... ready to ship...
314-578-2499
rocky

just about any custom barrel is going to do a lot better than a factory barrel. And will be more consistent with various loads than a factory bbl.

Can't argue that, unless your talking about a remington custom shop barrell from a 40x. (have 4- they work)
the barrel I have available is just a stock barrel from a 700 varmint fluted.

Also know that if you re-use a Rem 700 barrel...say a take off with threads already cut on it....your smith might have a hard time completly truing your action. My local smith said his reamer to true the forward face of the reciever would not fit without opening up the reciever threads....I was re-chambering a factory 6.8SPC barrel to 270WSM and it already had threads on it. When he opens up the reciever threads he has to make the threads on the barrel a little larger so they fit tightly. So if you get a blank the smith can true your action better. truing reciever threads and threading the barrel to fit exactly (slightly oversized from factory spec). My rifle shoots pretty frickin good but it could be that much better. But it is really tough to pass up a $130 takeoff SS barrel.

If I am incorrect in anything I posted please let me know...I can diesel-smith but not gunsmith.....yet...Snap-on Guy says my gunsmith tool-kit just left the factory!!!

I got a Hart barrel in Remington varmint contour, but my smith cut it to the proper lenght, cut the crown, threaded it to my receiver, cut the chamber. It made the rifle what is, I have to agree with the previous post, the better way to go than a pre-threaded precut barrel that is just screwed on.

thanks fellas after the forwarned post i did a bit of searching on the net and i leaning to a shilen, or kreiger bbl any info on either of those. and any info on smiths in tx that yall know of or recomend. and thanks again for yalls response to an other wise silly question.

Been wrestling with this too as I have an upcoming barrel replacement on a Remington SPS (roughly 4700 rounds down the tube) and a Savage that longs for a heavy barrel (possibly a calibre change too!).

Does the Savage require the same loving attention to thread and chamber reaming? I rather hoped to attempt that one myself.

Randy, how many rounds do you have through that tube?

What kind of stock do you have on it?

It the action bedded to the stock?

I ask because unless you got a lemon or have a lot of rounds through the tube you should get better accuracy than that on the factory barrel. Mine runs sub-moa at 400 with a bit of wind. If I actually went out on a windless morning I am betting I could get a bit better. (I have 1700 rounds through it, 300 since the last cleaning)

I don't know what YOU are capable of, but a lot of guys run out and look for hardware solutions to a software problem. It would suck to spend the money on replacing the barrel only to find that you can't drive it any better than before. Just something to keep in mind.

I spoke with my local smith and he recommended a Pac-Nor Supermatch 1:12 3-groove. The rifle will be optimized for Federal Gold Metal Match.

If you still have the original plastic stock, I would replace that before getting a new barell.

My SPS-V is consistently 3/4 minute in a non- bedded B&C stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RBrady308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright fellas, i have a remington 700 sps vamint in a 308 and am shooting a bit over 1 moa at 200yrds and am looking to change out my factory bbl. but before i go through 1 million gigs of internet pages looking for barrel i would like to know what the hide has to offer in info for 308 barrels thanks </div></div>

RBrady308 Let me know more of the specifics of what you are looking for. Barrel length, barrel weight, barrel twist / weight, type and brand of bullet you're going to shoot, type of metal (stainless steel or chromoly steel), your barrel budget, etc.

I think I can give you a more precisely "tuned" answer than you've gotten so far. I'll keep an eye on this thread or PM me if you want to go off line.