• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Berger VLD & Amax

awganr

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2011
Georgia
I'm fixing to swap barrels on my Rem 700. Currently I have a 243, but as soon as I find a take off 308 barrel I am going to swap barrels. I'm interested in loading Bergers 168gr VLD or Hornady Amax. This rifle will be used for deer hunting too. I read that the VLDs are sensitive to seating depth. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these bullets. Any information is appreciated.

Re: 308 Berger VLD & Amax

If hollow point bullets didn't get smooshed up during shipment and handling, they'd be my choice.

But, I always seem to get unexplainable flyers with hollow points, because the meplate is bent from shipping on some bullets. So, I've switched to Hornady Amax bullets. The point is the same on every one. Flyers are no longer a problem (attributable to bullets, anyway).

In both 308's (one factory and one full custom) neither was seating depth sensitive with berger 168 vld.

I shoot the hunting VLD and the Target Hybrids and they are both hammers. I am running them behind 47 grains of varget and am 8 moa to 475 yards (My range distance).

Just yesterday the 168 hybrid printed a little under a 1.5 inch group at 475 yards.

Usually the VLD bullets do not jump as well as the SMK, and that is how it has been for me. I load the 175 VLD closer to the lands than I would bother to with the Matchking and they do seem to do better.

I will say that the AMAX has been pretty tolerant of seating depth and has performed very well on targets and game (deer) at quite a bit lower cost compared to the VLD style bullets. Range has been limited to just over 500 yards here though. Longer ranges may show a bit more of a gap.

I shot for the first time some 185 Berger hybrids out of my 308 at 1000 this past weekend at .005 off the lands. I'm hooked.

I've had better accuracy with the amaxs, but I am able to get .8 moa at 550 yards with the Berger. They ( Berger ) are HELL on game. In my .300 win mag I shoot the 210's 2907 fps at the muzzle. They are tack drivers. I shot 4 deer over 400 yards and they never heard a thing. Hit em so hard it sounded like a boat paddle whacking them. One at 542 yards had her shoulder and leg broke on the OTHER side of the entrance hole.

I'm currently shooting the 168gr A-Max with RL 15 and H-4895 and had good resulst at 100 to 500yards. I shoot them out of a 16 1/4 Barrel SCAR and I'm not a great shot but at 100 Today got .888 5 shot group and velocity is around 2,500fps. I have yet to shoot something but I hear they don't leave a huge exit hole but once inside the body cavity the explode shrapnel all over. I have also heard that Berger is the same way they penetrate 2inches and frag.

I never measured my max seating depth on my 5r with 168vld's and got so so groups. I am anxious to try a different coal on them. How are the amax 178 on targets and deer? Any help is appreciated.