• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Beyond 1K YARDS

Just to echo what’s already been said, I’ve shot a 308 substantially further than 1k when I lived in AZ. Used to go out and bust rocks, and see how far we could connect in under 3 rounds. It’s a lot of fun to fling them way out there.

I routinely shoot at 1125 and 1400 yards. I'm shooting a 24" 1 -10 twist AI AX using 178 eldm at about 2700fps. I'm in Texas at about 1000' ele. This morning at 1125 i corrected after the first shot and hit a 12" plate the next 7 out of 9. Then went 3 for 3 on a 4' hi x 2' wide plate at 1400...holding 4 mils of wind. The wind was pretty steady today though. In my rifle, I'm not sure I can load ammo that's more accurate than FGMM 185 JUGGERNAUT.

Reactions: Markol
I routinely shoot at 1125 and 1400 yards. I'm shooting a 24" 1 -10 twist AI AX using 178 eldm at about 2700fps. I'm in Texas at about 1000' ele. This morning at 1125 i corrected after the first shot and hit a 12" plate the next 7 out of 9. Then went 3 for 3 on a 4' hi x 2' wide plate at 1400...holding 4 mils of wind. The wind was pretty steady today though. In my rifle, I'm not sure I can load ammo that's more accurate than FGMM 185 JUGGERNAUT.
Have you tried loading the 208s? I've never shot them but my buddy loads them for his .308 Howa and he swears by them.

I have only shot the 178 eldm and the185 juggs in factory ammo. I have some of the bergers to load but haven't yet.

Let me know how the handloading goes, I'm curious how much you can improve over the factory loads.

In my rifle I'm pretty sure I won't be able to improve over the factory loads. This group is with fgmm 185 juggernauts on a good day with a light steady wind.

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20190324-162923_Ballistic-X.jpg
    Resized_Screenshot_20190324-162923_Ballistic-X.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 92
I'm going to try it with my AR-10 with a 19" barrel from deadshotbarrels.com. I have shot out to 1200 before but with mixed results and crappy fundamentals. I'm back at 50yds now trying to learn to not suck. When I master 50 I will move to 100 and stay there until I can "actually" shoot "moa all day". Then move out a bit more and keep going like that. As fun as it is to shoot far I got ahead of myself and it led to a lot of frustration.

I'm going to try it with my AR-10 with a 19" barrel from deadshotbarrels.com. I have shot out to 1200 before but with mixed results and crappy fundamentals. I'm back at 50yds now trying to learn to not suck. When I master 50 I will move to 100 and stay there until I can "actually" shoot "moa all day". Then move out a bit more and keep going like that. As fun as it is to shoot far I got ahead of myself and it led to a lot of frustration.

As you extend the range with an AR-10, you may have to ignore how it groups at some point. I have an Armalite .308 AR-10 with a 20" 1:12 barrel. On a low-wind day, it will shoot under 0.7 MOA at 100 but by 400, sub-MOA is about the best I can expect. We have made hits at 1K but it's a bit of a crap shoot. Then again, the ammo is cheap and it's all good fun.

Reactions: McSnipsy291
Shouldn’t really be a stretch to get .308 out to a 1000. First rifle I ever took out that far was a Remington 700 trued with a Krieger 1-10 22” barrel. I shot 175s out to a thousand pretty easy.

These are my 308s. Both are plussed-up Rem 700 Varmint LH. I added the goodies from McMillan, Timney, Badger Ordnance.

The 20.5" wears the HTG stock, 40 MOA Nightforce base, 10X SWFA.

The 22" wears the A5 stock, 45 MOA Badger Ord base, 12X SWFA.

S9xIIde.jpg
Is your camera in reverse? the steering wheels are on the wrong side.

Reactions: MontanaMarine
In the real world there are only a few recorded instances of verified kills at the distance. Killing a steel target might be a different story.

I'm running the Berger 185's and it has made a huge improvement to my accuracy past 1k.

Federal Gold Medal Berger 185 Juggernaut, like the link.

I ran the numbers for 178H ELDX, close at 1000 at around 1300 FPS according to the Hornady ballistics Calculator. if you can get a couple of more .1's of powder in there safely you could probably squeeze another 50 fps. Transsonic is appx 1350 fps

I ran the numbers for 178H ELDX, close at 1000 at around 1300 FPS according to the Hornady ballistics Calculator. if you can get a couple of more .1's of powder in there safely you could probably squeeze another 50 fps. Transsonic is appx 1350 fps

I was looking at those. Im currently looking for factory offerings..
I know Hornady offers the 178 ELDX..

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/308-win-178-gr-eld-x-precision-hunter#!/

But I see these offerings as well for the 185 Juggernaut which everyone seems to love...

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle/gold-medal/gold-medal-berger/gm308bh185

and directly from berger

https://bergerbullets.com/product/308-winchester-185gr-juggernaut-otm/

https://bergerbullets.com/product/308-winchester-185gr-juggernaut-target/

Out of the 4, the Federal has the best price, followed by the Hornady, then the Bergers.
Not sure which load to go with, hoping some of yall would have some good experience data for me to sort through.
Thoughts?

I have an AIAX 308. I have loaded 178 ELDM's since it was new. I mostly shoot steel but have shot a few groups on paper at 1125. I can hold .75-1 moa of vehicle at that distance as long as I don't pull one. A buddy have me a box of FGGM 185 juggernauts to try. They were sub .5 moa at all distances. Resized_Screenshot_20190324-162923_Ballistic-X.jpgAt 1125 I shot this 5 round group... just one group but promising. I have some bergers to load but haven't done so yet

I have an AIAX 308. I have loaded 178 ELDM's since it was new. I mostly shoot steel but have shot a few groups on paper at 1125. I can hold .75-1 moa of vehicle at that distance as long as I don't pull one. A buddy have me a box of FGGM 185 juggernauts to try. They were sub .5 moa at all distances. View attachment 7114544At 1125 I shot this 5 round group... just one group but promising. I have some bergers to load but haven't done so yet

Alright, ill need to pick up a box and chrono them with the magnetospeed. thanks for the details

Shouldn’t really be a stretch to get .308 out to a 1000. First rifle I ever took out that far was a Remington 700 trued with a Krieger 1-10 22” barrel. I shot 175s out to a thousand pretty easy.

.308 or 7.62x51mm
FN Scar 20S 20" barrel 1:12 twist

I know this is an old discussion but did anyone true there BC and MV when shooting their 308 out to 1000? Im shooting a 175gr smk at 2730 fps and know its still supersonic, but was wondering what distance y'all if anyone trued their MV in their ballistic program.

I know this is an old discussion but did anyone true there BC and MV when shooting their 308 out to 1000? Im shooting a 175gr smk at 2730 fps and know its still supersonic, but was wondering what distance y'all if anyone trued their MV in their ballistic program.
so far, i haven't had to out to 609, but i would enter real data at any point the actual shooting starts to deviate from the what the software predicts.
note this isn't changing the "velocity" but the poi, and the software decides where it went wrong and adjusts (i assume velocity here).
the problem when bullets go subsonic is that some of them will lose stability and that makes it harder if not impossible to predict within your preferred margin of error. the best way to find out what happens in real life is to shoot and see (if you can).
some people are lucky enough to have equipment to give them downrange velocities.

/i have a box of hornady superformance to try and see if the extra velocity (20" barrel) helps, even though it isn't the SMK that is known to work.

Reactions: chrisg4607
so far, i haven't had to out to 609, but i would enter real data at any point the actual shooting starts to deviate from the what the software predicts.
note this isn't changing the "velocity" but the poi, and the software decides where it went wrong and adjusts (i assume velocity here).
the problem when bullets go subsonic is that some of them will lose stability and that makes it harder if not impossible to predict within your preferred margin of error. the best way to find out what happens in real life is to shoot and see (if you can).
some people are lucky enough to have equipment to give them downrange velocities.

/i have a box of hornady superformance to try and see if the extra velocity (20" barrel) helps, even though it isn't the SMK that is known to work.
from what I can tell I'm not going to hit the transonic range until 1100 yds which is as far as I have to shoot anyway, and I'm not going to shoot my 308 past that distance. However I want to have all variables accounted for for the maximum distance of any of my rifles, and have been reading about truing your ballistics software (Applied Ballistics). 800 yds is where you should true your MV in your software (as best I can tell) and then at 1000 should true the BC of the bullet in your software. Is that what you mean by real data at the point of deviation from software?