• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Compensator

zulu1delta

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2014
Virginia
Probably been asked before, but... To address recoil and muzzle rise recommendations for a comp for 308 gas gun. I've used the JP standard comp... Worked well but shooters next to me hated it, due to side blast. Thanks.

Last edited:
Google...YouTube...tons of info out there....

The Primary Weapons PRC is what you want. I've used it on both a bolt and gas gun and the ONLY thing better is a suppressor. It all but eliminates recoil and doesn't have the ghastly ground signature aka blowback that other comps/brakes are known to have.

Reactions: cruzcode
Probably been asked before, but... To address recoil and muzzle rise recommendations for a comp for 308 gas gun. I've used the JP standard comp... Worked well but shooters next to me hated it, due to side blast. Thanks.

So you have a good brake that is effective, but you want to get something else because the other shooters are complaining about too much noise on the gun range?

If you want an effective comp, you're going to piss off the shooters next to you.

A lot of brakes have that effect, muzzle blast/ noise increase!!!!! I use a JP Recoil Eliminator and would have it no other way. Shooters next to you will always complain either it's to loud or they do not like the blast hitting them. You can't make everyone happy, but you could get a Suppressor and it will take care of there complaining. But who's not to say somebody comes right next to you on the firing line with a brake and start's shooting. My daughter who is a US MARINE asked me did I need a straw, I said what and she said the same thing again and then she said just SUCK IT UP. Once a Marine always a Marine

Also you can't make everybody happy at a range, they are going to complain about something. To deal with the muzzle blast at our range at first we had 20 bench's side by side. They decided to remove the even # shooting positions bench's, so now we have bench then prone then bench then prone. It still does not help with people with semi-automatic rifles throwing brass at you. So people use there case to help shied the brass from hitting you. I made a curtain with pvc and cloth to prevent me from being hit along with my equipment being damaged. I could say I hate people that have semi-auto rifles that do not use brass deflectors or a catcher to prevent there brass from hitting other people, but I don't complain.

PWS is not neighbor friendly either but a good one.
I use it on my 20" ma ten.
I also have one with the Seekins and one with a Battlecomp ,, all good.

In a couple of weeks I'll be testing a buddies .308 gas gun comp for T&E, using a dpms g2 recon. It was design with 3gun in mind so it looks more like what a JP .308 comp or rolling thunder comp would look like, but what makes his different from others that I've seen in the drawing diagrams is the ports are actually angled toward the shooter instead of being 90* parallel to the shooter. Should be interesting.

The Dynamic Resistance is better than any of the ones mentioned above. It softens recoil, has less side concussion, is as neutral as any I have seen and does not carbon load. The on target doubles I have seen with the DR can not be matched by the other .308 comps. Yes, there is one that is a little different that will be out in a few weeks that appears to work really well too, but you can't buy it for about a month.

The JP works, but it is obnoxious loud, and it loads with Carbon in about 1000 rounds affecting accuracy.

308 Compensator

What many fail to remember is what's good for a CQB setup isn't necessarily the best for a precision setup, for obvious reasons.

The Dynamic Resistance is better than any of the ones mentioned above. It softens recoil, has less side concussion, is as neutral as any I have seen and does not carbon load. The on target doubles I have seen with the DR can not be matched by the other .308 comps. Yes, there is one that is a little different that will be out in a few weeks that appears to work really well too, but you can't buy it for about a month.

The JP works, but it is obnoxious loud, and it loads with Carbon in about 1000 rounds affecting accuracy.

And you're saying this because you own what you're pushing, or because you've used everything mentioned?

It can be determined by you listing every style/brand you've used.

Last edited:
I ran 9 different comps on the .308 pattern guns through drills, CFD models and actual high flow tests with heated gas, not water. Did not include the GA or BC because they are not actual comps.

Yes, there is a big difference between precision and CQB, and I focus on the precision aspects when I test comps, in most cases.

I can at least affirm what MarkCO is saying about the JP. It is loud and gets dirty way too quickly.

I'm hoping to test out his DR comp but I'm waiting for that along with his Gas Hog comp.

Are you kidding, who cares about the people shooting next to you. A Compensator is going to be loud but does it's job, if you are that worried then just put a Suppressor on it and be done with it. Hell whenever I go to the range I end up with a 12gauge next to me or equivilant all the time.

The Primary Weapons PRC is what you want. I've used it on both a bolt and gas gun and the ONLY thing better is a suppressor. It all but eliminates recoil and doesn't have the ghastly ground signature aka blowback that other comps/brakes are known to have.

Yup, by far the most effective break out there. They are kinda of a unsung hero in a world of surefire and battlecomps. Cheap too.

Can anybody comment on the accuracy of the PWS PRC on a bolt action rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk