• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 doorkicker?

marduk185

take my karma boom
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
tantric thrust
would like to build a .308 chambered carbine with short barrel and red dot type sight. the intent would be to have a handy fast action "cqb-ish" rifle that can fire same rounds as the long range bolt gun (well not same rounds necessarily just same chambering as id prolly wanna run milsurp crap). id love to hear everyones opinions on which base rifle, which sight,rails or no, which muzzle device and all the reasons behind these choices. also it seems such a rig should be economical as to maintain more funds for the serious long range stick and accesories. thanks for your input.

Re: .308 doorkicker?

Folding stock, short barrel, Readily available mags, .308 power, rail system to match just about any optics choice. Proven platform.

DSCN3616.jpg

noveske leonidus (spelling?) 12.5"

aimpoint t1 w/ larue or S&B shortdot
surefire scoutlight
troy BUIS

projectleonidas_1d.jpg

M14

This one has an 18.0" barrel... SEI will soon be building 500 M14s for the ARMY with 16.0" barrels.
These new 16.0" 4 groove 1:10 ROT M118LR barrels will be available to the public.

06-16-10005.jpg

25 round CMI magazine.

We had a number of guys running short FAL's in Iraq
I've seen stupid short 7.62mm NATO guns, and you end up with a huge flash, lots of recoil and 30-30 ballistics. We have done 8", 12:, 14", 14.5" guns and now do 16" as our shortest
Don't go shorter than 16", all of our government customers have learned that too.

Iraq560.jpg

FNs.jpg

Iraq-Range26May044.jpg

I'm a little biaised - but I have pretty good reason to recommend our SR-25 EMC / M110 Carbine.
CQBSS1sredit.jpg

A Pic Leupold sent us.
nonuniform_sf_16may2010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've seen stupid short 7.62mm NATO guns, and you end up with a huge flash, lots of recoil and 30-30 ballistics. </div></div>

That's exactly what I was looking for!!!!!
I didnt buy my DSA to be a firearm, I wanted a burst capable flame thrower! If the projectile hits them instead and kilss them, well.... that's just icing on the cake! LOL
wink.gif

good to see i was pretty much tracking the same, i pretty much had it figured down to noveske or a fal build. just wanted to bounce it off some other folks to see if there was a angle i hadnt thought of with whats available on the market.

I would go with the Noveske Leonidas or a POF. I have been thinking about a 12.5" upper for my AR10.

Although if Kevin wanted to send me a shorty SR25 I would be glad to carry one on entries after I ran it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had a number of guys running short FAL's in Iraq
I've seen stupid short 7.62mm NATO guns, and you end up with a huge flash, lots of recoil and 30-30 ballistics. We have done 8", 12:, 14", 14.5" guns and now do 16" as our shortest
Don't go shorter than 16", all of our government customers have learned that too.

Iraq560.jpg

FNs.jpg

Iraq-Range26May044.jpg

I'm a little biaised - but I have pretty good reason to recommend our SR-25 EMC / M110 Carbine.
CQBSS1sredit.jpg

A Pic Leupold sent us.
nonuniform_sf_16may2010.jpg

</div></div>
was very interested in your apparent first hand comment and wondered if perhaps you could tell me...can a full length gas system on a fal run with 16" barrel or will it need a little more length to run the longer piston?most of the "shorty's" i see are carbine gas length and im wondrin about cuttin down a full length rifle. perhaps the gas port would need opened up a bit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noveske Leonidas 12.5"
IMG_5152-1.jpg
</div></div>
id prolly go this route if not for cost and legality...dont wanna go that short, (sbr)

that would look great, even better though with my patented camo pattern applied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also it seems such a rig should be economical
</div></div>

Eh, I don't see that happening in 308 caliber. Even with a cheaper rifle ammo is still gonna hurt, especially with milsurp at 40 cents a round. If I were looking for a cheap, compact carbine that throws .30 caliber bullets I would look at AKs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also it seems such a rig should be economical
</div></div>

Eh, I don't see that happening in 308 caliber. Even with a cheaper rifle ammo is still gonna hurt, especially with milsurp at 40 cents a round. If I were looking for a cheap, compact carbine that throws .30 caliber bullets I would look at AKs. </div></div>
good point, does anyone know the ballistics difference between nato ball from a 16" .308 and a russian 7.62x39 from same length barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">noveske leonidus (spelling?) 12.5"

aimpoint t1 w/ larue or S&B shortdot
surefire scoutlight
troy BUIS

projectleonidas_1d.jpg
</div></div>

That rig looks stupid sexy!

I dont know how much money you are wanting to spend but if you want to build one, DPMS AP-4 its a 16'' barrel set up just like a M-4. Then you can trick it out how you want. If you have the coin ge with a P.O.F. or such

I'd go one of about 4 ways. First, forget about cheap. Two grand is where it all starts.
Without glass.

My first choice is a tie between the LMT MRP and the Noveske. Both in 16". Both fantastic. I consider these to be a cut above the SR-25 & AR-10 for a variety of reasons. (The Brits just adopted the LMT.)

Next up, a DSA 16" Para FAL w/ full length gas system. I have one and love it.

Finally, the good 'ol M14. I'd lean towards the 18" length in a std. USGI-weight barrel. I have one of these as well. Awesome. Although I must say the SEI 16" sounds intriguing.

About the optic, if the rifle's focus is room clearing, I'd go with the newest EO Tech XPS-series red dot or maybe a 553. Great for 0-100 yds. I prefer more versatility in my optics tho'. Can't beat the new Trijicon TR24 1-4x for the value. Good glass, rugged, cheap. Great for 0-350 give or take. If you have champagne tastes check out the IOR and S&B low range variables. Very nice.

Don't forget a good sling, flashhider (I'd go Smith Vortex), and if the choice is an AR-type see if a BAD lever fits.

Good luck.

And there's always Kel Tec's new bullpup. Takes metric FAL mags and is completely ambi. From everything I've seen its of much better quality than many of there other products and seems very solid, rugged, dependable and perfectly acceptable accuracy (aprox. 2 moa). More compact than an M4 and only 9 pounds. I personally want to get one and go torture test it in the mud with about 1000 rounds someday (don't hold your breath as it might be awhile). I've seen them go for $1300 new as well and anyone who say's that's too expensive is a tight ass Jew! (assuming it works)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
good point, does anyone know the ballistics difference between nato ball from a 16" .308 and a russian 7.62x39 from same length barrel? </div></div>

16" has good enough ballistics. Now, if it's something stupid short like a 10" then it's going to be AK ballistics, or worse.

Just remember that 308 ammo isn't cheap, so even if you get a deal on a DPMS 308 carbine or an RRA 308 carbine (both good rifles at that price point) you will have to be prepared to pay ~40 cents per round to feed them. Just something to consider if money is a factor.

Whatever you choose make sure to either put a Noveske Pig on it or a suppressor. I don't think that they make a Pig for the .308 though. Low budget build up around a Noveske 12.5" barrel with a switchblock. Fail Zero bolt & carrier too.
This setup has both a Pig and I'm waiting for the paperwork on an HTG Aris to come back. It's my wife's rifle.
CIMG1792.jpg

CIMG1793.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noveske makes .308 Pig's. The 2 Leonidas rifles on the 1st page have them. </div></div>

Sweet - I didn't know that. I'm glad they do. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had a number of guys running short FAL's

Iraq560.jpg

FNs.jpg

Iraq-Range26May044.jpg

</div></div>

The Short Para FAL's make me drool, would absolutely be my first choice

If you are going to run a FAL short, bore the gas port .811 from OEM. Loading 46.5 Varget, 147fmjbt will net 2589fps out of a 17" bbl. 45.0 Varget will get you 2525fps. You go to 16" and of course you lose 50fps. Wither way it's LAF* and if you have walls, it's HELACIOUSLY LAF

* if you had to look here to see LOUD AS FUCK then you are truly lost
grin.gif

One of the PTR-91 variants? They run anywhere from a thousand up to about $1400 or so? Not too bad a price and saves money for optics. Most models have a rail up front too. Just my thoughts as that's what I was looking at.

As far as the ballistics from a short barrel, I'd use the Hornady 155 or 110 GR TAP ammo as they have a low fragmentation threshold, so even out of a short (12-5-16") barrel, they will still be very effective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DVCblvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Finally, the good 'ol M14. I'd lean towards the 18" length in a std. USGI-weight barrel. I have one of these as well. Awesome. Although I must say the SEI 16" sounds intriguing.

About the optic, if the rifle's focus is room clearing, I'd go with the newest EO Tech XPS-series red dot or maybe a 553. Great for 0-100 yds. I prefer more versatility in my optics tho'. Can't beat the new Trijicon TR24 1-4x for the value. Good glass, rugged, cheap. Great for 0-350 give or take. If you have champagne tastes check out the IOR and S&B low range variables. Very nice.

Don't forget a good sling, flashhider (I'd go Smith Vortex), and if the choice is an AR-type see if a BAD lever fits.

Good luck. </div></div>

I like the way you think
smile.gif

Glad we had the folks we had in WWII, they never had issue with M1's when clearing, they used tactics to fit the weapon they had at the time.

I'll be the odd man out an stay with my M14, it worked well for me from the 60's on, for up close an far. Tactics win fights, not fancy new weapons. If Fancy was a winner on the Battlefield, we should/would have been home about 12-25-01

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would like to build a .308 chambered carbine with short barrel and red dot type sight. the intent would be to have a handy fast action "cqb-ish" rifle that can fire same rounds as the long range bolt gun (well not same rounds necessarily just same chambering as id prolly wanna run milsurp crap). id love to hear everyones opinions on which base rifle, which sight,rails or no, which muzzle device and all the reasons behind these choices. also it seems such a rig should be economical as to maintain more funds for the serious long range stick and accesories. thanks for your input.
</div></div>

Be sure and give us a no pants breacher pictorial review once you get it up and going 'duk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI the Hornady works very well in the 14.5-16" guns, but does not frag very far in the 12 and shorters.

</div></div>

Hornady claims thy the 155 GR TAP will frag from 1600+ FPS. Do you have the velocity out of a 12" barrel? I think out to 100 yards, it will still be good enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my go-to...

FNcarbineT1.jpg

DSA lightweight Carbine w/ Aimpoint T1 </div></div>

Very nice! What's it weigh unloaded?

I have an LMT MWS with the 16” barrel. My plan from the start was to get the 18” 5R replacement barrel once those became available. I have been pondering having the 16” cut back to 12.5” and permanently attaching a Noveske KFX flash hider to bring it to a legal 16” overall length. I have no legit reason for wanting to do this other than I simply think it would be fun and the barrel change on the MWS (MRP) takes under a minute so its not as if it will be a dedicated set up.

Having said all that I’m curious as to what the effective range would be using a barrel this short. For those of you with 12.5” Noveskes have you chronoed them? What ammo/loadings have you found that work the best? What’s the furthest distance you have shot with it and how much elevation did you need to get there?

Haven’t decided for certain this is what I will end up doing but any info anyone can provide may sway my decision and is appreciated.

R/
A06

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's 8 with the T1 and goes approx 9.5 ready to roll. </div></div>

That's pretty good for an FNFAL carbine, I think the SBR one I shot was that heavy, or maybe more. Have you tried putting a lower power scope on it? You might be surprised.

I read a link yesterday about 155gr pills burning between 92-94% of their powder and getting around 2550 fps out of a 12.5" barrel. Don't have my own SBR rig to chrono... yet!

BCP,

thanks for the info its a place to start.

Running 2550 fps with a 175gr SMK and G7 drag model through my phone (Ballistic FTE) I came up with107.6" drop at 600yds (17.1 MOA).

My USO SN-4 1.5-6x has 48 clicks per revolution (1/2 MOA clicks) so in therory 34.2 (rounded down to 34) clicks up from zero should reach 600 which is what I would consider to be a fair expectation of usable range for this potential set up. Bottom line is I think it may just work
wink.gif

I am shooting 43.0 grains of IMR 3031 behind a 155 grain Scenar and I am getting an average of 2525 fps. According to Quickload it is suppose to be 99.26 propellant burn.