• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing 308 for elk? opinions please

kkracht

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Colorado
Ok so here it is, would you use a 308 to hunt elk with? if so what type of loads, range limits, etc. I'm just wondering if it might be too light for elk as I've never hunted them before so i don't know how much tougher they are than deer. I have nearly 8 months to prepare for season so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Re: 308 for elk? opinions please

there has been thousands of elk taken with the 308, it will do the job just fine. As for limitations, yours are probably more of a concern than the rounds
wink.gif
shoot a quality "big game" bullet and know your personal limitations. A good freind of mine who lives in Wyoming used a 308 to take 20ish (can't remember the exact total) elk at ranges out to a little over 600yds. just make sure you put it in the boiler room and you'll do just fine...

-Steve

308 is awesome, just like anything else shot placement, and get as much trigger time as you can before, no substitute for trigger time!!!! Good luck and happy hunting.

My 308 took 5 cow elk this year. The round is perfectly capable with the right bullet. I personally shoot the Barnes TTSX but any of the quality hunting bullets will work.

Limitations is probably more dependant on the shooter. If you can put it right where it needs to be (heart/lungs) 4-500 yards is very achievable.

I've used a 30-06 on elk (Neck shot) - and have heard of others in Alaska doing the same.

06 and 308 are very similiar - I ran a 180gr bullet a bit faster than a 308 can handle but all teh same a 308 should take an elk just fine.

I love Elk! Yum!

used a 308 on a few bulls I've taken, just make a good shot and you'll be good 2 go.

My wife drop her elk with a 308 last year with no problems. She shot a 168gr Berger and put it right behind the front shoulder and dropped a big old cow like a sack of shit.

I don't have a wealth of elk hunting experience, just got to go one season. Carried a 308 with handloaded 165 Hornady Interbonds. It was good enough to convince a decent 6x6 to come home with me with one shot.

OK sounds good... im confident shooting this round out to about 750 yards as of now so shot placement shouldn't be a problem. It's going to be fun finding the perfect load for elk session though. I'm up in the air as to which pill i should send, anybody have a favorite bullet they get good results with??
thanks a bunch!

What do you shoot now? anything you are "confident shooting" sounds like it may be a good candidate for your hunt.
Here are two we shot this year, both with .308's
elkunt090025.jpg

Rem 700 with 180 gr SST's from approx. 175 yds
elkunt090115.jpg

This one was with 175 gr SMK's at a lasered 560 yds

coldboremiracle-- Nice pic's! i'll look into the bullets you mentioned. I have the most trigger time on a 308 and its the one i'm most comfortable shooting at any distance so if its enough gun, as they say, to be good with elk (i'm now sure it is) i would like to use that. I also have some bigger rifles but i wouldn't bet my life on them as with the 308.
Thanks!!

You dont even need to look into them, almost any bullet you can shoot well will put them down.I happen to like these two bullets but mostly because of the accuracy the loads produce, I wouldn't hesitate to use any others if they did the same.I also have had great accuracy from the Hornady interlocks (150,180's).My .308 will keep 150 gr interlocks under MOA at 1000yds with 43 gr of H4895. I load the 180's in my brothers 300wsm and he can keep them MOA or less out to a little past 1000. And I'll guarantee either of those two bullets will bring down an elk if you park it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You dont even need to look into them, almost any bullet you can shoot well will put them down.I happen to like these two bullets but mostly because of the accuracy the loads produce, I wouldn't hesitate to use any others if they did the same.I also have had great accuracy from the Hornady interlocks (150,180's).My .308 will keep 150 gr interlocks under MOA at 1000yds with 43 gr of H4895. I load the 180's in my brothers 300wsm and he can keep them MOA or less out to a little past 1000. And I'll guarantee either of those two bullets will bring down an elk if you park it right. </div></div>

Ok thanks for the post... I have about the best accuracy out of my rifle with 190 gr match from speer with H4831. I like to play with loads anyway so I'll go pick up a box just for fun, you never know...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbulrs3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=963028&page=1
by the way try this thread, big discussion about what you are asking</div></div>

Well that was entertaining! Never let a few facts get in the way of a good argument.

308Win 200 gr Accubond 2600 fps at the muzzle: at 500 yards

v=1900fps e= 1600 ft lbs d= -60" drift = 17.4" in 10mph crosswind

7mm Rem Mag 175 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 2750fps at muzzle: 500yds

v=1753 fps e=1193ft lbs d= -50" drift = 24.4"

So from where the deer is standing, how's it look?

Barnes TTSX, Hornady Interbond, Nosler Accubond - you can never go wrong with those selections.

The 308 will do fine just make sure you practice which it sound like you do.

Are those guys in the federal witness protection program?

Chanonry,

Why would would you bring facts into a discussion like this? You know they don't belong here. All one need say is '7mm Magnum' and discussion should turn to unwarranted praise. I've been told several times that a 7mm Magnum will:

Hit a deer in the ribs if you hold on the top of his back at 1,000 yards.

Have more energy than a .280AI even if the bullets are launched at the same speed because 'It's a MAGNUM'.

Penetrate an elk shoulder bone where other calibers like .270 and 30/06 just bounce off.

smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbulrs3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=963028&page=1
by the way try this thread, big discussion about what you are asking</div></div>

Well that was entertaining! Never let a few facts get in the way of a good argument.

308Win 200 gr Accubond 2600 fps at the muzzle: at 500 yards

v=1900fps e= 1600 ft lbs d= -60" drift = 17.4" in 10mph crosswind

7mm Rem Mag 175 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 2750fps at muzzle: 500yds

v=1753 fps e=1193ft lbs d= -50" drift = 24.4"

So from where the deer is standing, how's it look? </div></div>

you can take one with a 223/M193 if you limit yourself to selective shots, and can place the bullet precisely. but in the selection of hunting cartridges, typically, you recommend a cartridge / bullet that will penetrate to the vitals from the worst possible angle.

the 308 with a heavily constructed bullet would do just fine if you limit yourself to shots within it's ability. in the past i've personally used a 24" 300 win mag with 200gr nosler partitions. if asked today, i'd say 338 win mag with 250gr nosler partitions, that would be my preference for general use on larger game (penetration is key in my opinion / experience).

Yes - they worship at the feet of the god Muzzle Velocity. My mistake....

I have a mate that shoots red deer with a 22-250, professional gamekeeper. I know elk are a bit bigger so perhaps he would suggest a 220 swift?

308 ? too much gun

Ignore me, I am in a funny mood

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer_280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there has been thousands of elk taken with the 308, it will do the job just fine. As for limitations, yours are probably more of a concern than the rounds
wink.gif
shoot a quality "big game" bullet and know your personal limitations. A good freind of mine who lives in Wyoming used a 308 to take 20ish (can't remember the exact total) elk at ranges out to a little over 600yds. just make sure you put it in the boiler room and you'll do just fine...

-Steve</div></div>

enough said, why is this thread still alive?