• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Gain Twist

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Been kicking around a barrel for my AI (came 6.5 manban) and since I shoot a ton of 308, was looking to put a 308 barrel on it. ANything worth doing is worth overdoing so I was thinking of throwing a gain twist on it for 185 Berger Juggernaughts.

However gain twists are in short supply and for 30 cal they seem to be in the 1/8-9 range which seems very fast for 308 win and more appropriate to magnums (based on my casual knowledge). What is an appropriate gain twist for a 308 in the 175-185 gr region (I also like to shoot 178 ELD-M for Hornady and of course 175 TMK).

You know i hate using the telephone!! Dammit so much now Frank is gonna make me cry for being a scrub shooter (I kid, I kid).

From what I understand it helps stabilize bullets better (and larger dia bullets benefit more). And if it does nothing? Well I got a nice Bartlein barrel for my AI

Why 308? Because I have a ton of 308 components and a fantastic platform (AT-X + ZCO) to launch from. Yes 6.5 is better (already have that barrel). 6 is where the cool kids shoot (but i am loathe to add yet another set of dies, brass, etc...)