• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Gasgun coal.

RLWjr

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2013
Ft. Worth
Is anybody running 308 gasgun loads shorter than 2.80? Finally got my load to shoot an inch (out side to out side). Loaded up some different seating depth (2.80 and less) and haven't had a chance to go test them yet. Now that I have had some time to think about it I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I wouldn't load shorter then the standard length for that weight bullet. Pressures can go up signicantly. Besides. Most factory guns will have a long throat. Probably a waste of time anyway. For me 168s at 2.8 are hard to beat.

Typically you are going to get better results from seating LONGER than what a semi-auto mag would allow in order to get the ogive of the bullet closer to the lands. Seating shorter than mag length is unlikely to improve accuracy...I would bet it would actually hurt it. Mag length is going to put your ogive as close to the lands as possible...but it will likely still be far from the optimal range.

I load for many AR-15s and AR-10s and I push each of their COAL to the max the magazine will handle. All shoot 1/2 MOA for me.

if you want better groups you must keep trying things until you find it. 1 moa is getting pretty good for a semi auto. i tend to be skeptical of people who claim better with run of the mil semi autos. my ar 15 has shot a group as small as .298 but it is consistently a 1 moa gun. most groups are .75 to 1 moa. if you measured your 5 5 shot groups outside to outside at 1 inch minus .308. your group would be .692 that is some pretty good shooting. most guns are not capable of half or quarter moa accuracy but the only way to find out is to try as many things as possible and see what shoots best.

I load as long as the mag will allow and sort the ammo by concentricity. When the jump is long it needs to run straight before engaging the rifling. I get my best results this way. IIRC my loads run 2.815 +/-.