• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Hand load velocities?

Wisconsinner

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Appleton, WI
Hello gentlemen,
I am currently working up some 175smk/varget hand loads. Shooting out of Rem 700 sps tactical. Bumped sized Winchester cases with 41gr of varget shoots lights out at 100 yards. I would like to stretch out the range considerably, any idea of velocities I don't have a chronograph yet :confused:

There are so many variables that we don't have to even remotely guess your velocities. Just shoot at whatever range you want, walk it in, compare results to figure out estimated velocity.

whats the barrel length, I can take a stab at it to get you in the right stadium. P-max for that cartridge is a hair over 60K and my program has you at 47K Chamber pressure with 41 grains of Varget.

24" is showing approx 2500 fps

22" is approx 2450 fps

20" is approx 2400 fps

Last edited:
It is a 20" barrel, And a guess if anything. I never took it out past 300, lets say 30 degrees Fahrenheit, 850' elevation, 30.00bar?

Chrono

Hello gentlemen,
I am currently working up some 175smk/varget hand loads. Shooting out of Rem 700 sps tactical. Bumped sized Winchester cases with 41gr of varget shoots lights out at 100 yards. I would like to stretch out the range considerably, any idea of velocities I don't have a chronograph yet :confused:

With so much of what we do related to knowing what your FPS is for a given load. Picking up even a $100 Pro Chrono will pay for itself in ammo savings while your chase your tail. If you want to upgrade down the road, in most cases if its cared for you can get back most of what you spent. And don't forget the data book, if you are going to "stretch out the range considerably".

Before I got a chrono, I would zero at 100 and then shoot at 300 measure the drop. Go to JBM and change velocity till the numbers matched up. It's not perfect but will get you in the right neighborhood.

41gr varget in winchester brass is a fairly low charge. I'm at 43.6, and went up to 45. 45 was starting to show a little pressure, so I went with the lower node.

my load for reference
win brass
178 amax
43.6 varget
fed 210

2560 out of a 20" barrel

How about 2450 out of a 26" barrel. Chronod some loads for a guy at the range last year with 42grs RE15, wasnt much over 2500. You wanna go fast, throw 47.3grs of 2000MR in your brass, you'll get over 2700.

It is a 20" barrel, And a guess if anything. I never took it out past 300, lets say 30 degrees Fahrenheit, 850' elevation, 30.00bar?

You may want to check your numbers again. 30 Bar is about 435psi. Normal pressure at 850ft is about 29.35 inches of mercury or about .95 Bar. with the temp down at 35 deg F your pressure may be a little higher. An accurate set of numbers to start with will give you a reasonable guess at what you want. Just tossing numbers out won't help much. Its not hard to measure your actual barrel length using a cleaning rod set against the bolt face and marked at the end of the barrel. The throat of your particular barrel and the seating depth of the bullets you're using will also have a pretty big effect on the pressure and velocity. Come up with some good values and you'll get some good answers.

Frank

44.3 gr of varget got me at 2630 out of a 20" barrel

Wisconsinner - where abouts you shooting. SE Wi here, looking to get some load data with velocities for my REPR going as well. This will help for when I get a nice bolt gun together.

Anyone with good suggestions on a quality chrono would be helpful I'm thinking....

Patrick

THAT IS THE SOUND OF INEVITABILITY !

With a 20" Broughton I get 2680 W/ 44.6 grains of Varget you are really low on your powder charge. Nothing wrong with that but you can get alot more velocity out of your 308

Out of your 20" depending if it's the 1:10 or 1:12 you should be getting some where around 2400 to 2600 FPS. Depending on conditions and other variables of course. But about 2450 is where your probably at with 41gr.

I'm at about 2550 with my 1:12 spitting 175s sitting on 42.4gr of Varget in warm weather in win brass.

I get 2450 fps out of my LCLR military cases with 41gr of varget and 175 SMKs. And my capacity tests have shown about a 10% capacity difference between commercial 308 and mil 7.62 brass. For what's it's worth...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lapua brass,168 SMK, Fed 210M & 45.5gr Varget in a 20" barrel FN SPR A1a clocked last weekend at 2683 fps avg.

I'm getting 2741 avg with a 178 amax and LC LR cci 250 and 44.3 varget out of a 26" 1:12. Your load seems really light!

Last edited: