• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .308 Hunting bullet

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
What bullet are you guys using for whitetail deer in your .308 ? I am looking for a good bullet to handload that will hold together but still expand. I have been the 175 gr. SMK route and want to get away from it. I am leaning towards the 165 or 168 gr. Nosler BT but am curious as to what others are loading. I have looked at the Hornady offerings but have no experience with them in .308. Rifle is a Rem. LTR....Thanks

Re: .308 Hunting bullet

I have Nosler Partitions for both my 25-06 (120 grain) and 308 (165 grain). I have some Barnes X bullets for research on next spring. But the Nosler Partitions have never let me down. I can't say the same for SGKs.

Nosler Partition are probably the most reliable of the premium bullets. I use the Hornady 165 SST, just because I like the way they shoot through my rifle. They have great expansion in my experience but have heard of them blowing up at higher velocities.

+1 for Barnes X Meets your criteria of holding together and still expanding. (as do most of the latest hunting bullets)

i used the 150 grn combinded technologys this year and shot four times and had four deer. the muley buck went about 20 yards and the others were all drt. i used 46 grains of varget with a col of 2.810 and rem brass. 2810 fps over a crony with that load.

Call me crazy, but I think "premium" bullets on whitetails are a waste of money.

I have been loading, shooting, and killing deer and hogs for a while now with 165 gr Corelokts and have never had a failure even through the shoulder shield of hogs up to 300 lbs.

I use 165gr Nosler ballistic tips in my bolt 308 and 150's in my LR308-those are each what I started load development with and they shot great so I never changed. The 165's with Varget in the bolt gun shoot great, even at 700yds on steel. Both are deer hammers as well. Here is an exit wound pic from a doe I shot the other day with a 165 NBT at 231yds. Broadside shot hit her right behind the shoulder and she plowed mud with her nose for 20yds before going tits up. I discovered during the autopsy that pretty much everything north of the diaphragm was destroyed.

2epobxs.jpg

I've used 150 BT (30-06), 168gr BT(308), and 165gr Accubond(308). I've also used Speer Mag Tips 180gr in 30-06 for pigs. Nice thing about standard velocity rigs is just about anything works with good shot placement.

BTW nice mounts 308sako, I was going to say try the 150gr Amaxs but it's hard to argue with your results.

The SMK's are more than adequate with proper shot placement...
but if you're looking to change I'd look at the Swift Scirocco or the A-Max...

Haven't seen a failure from either one... Can't say the same for the Barnes or the Nosler Partition...

Just my .02 ...

For long range shots 178 Amax is my go to. They have accounted for 14+ deer here in MS the last few years.

150 Barnes TSXs have never failed me either. I push them as fast as I can and use them in situations where I am in thicker cover and shots are usually inside 100 yards. Drive them through both shoulders and your deer will fall inside your FOV.

i like the hornady 165sst's for three reasons - affordable, good expansion in a hunting bullet, good performance on paper.

once i had my loads, didn't have to switch rounds between target and hunting, and is staying moa out to 550 yards.

my buddies have had success with barnes x bullets and nosler partitions, but they do get pricey to punch holes in paper if you tend to put alot of rounds downrange.

i like the having my cake and eating it too with the sst's.

Your suggestions all look good. The reason I want to get away from the 175 SMK is not that it does not drop them. The damage to the meat is tremendous. I usually try and shoot them in the upper neck and damage is not an issue. This year however I had to take a couple of shoulder or just behind the shoulder shots due to trees in the way. Lots of internal damage and 2 - 3 " exit holes. The surrounding meat was very bloodshot. I will try and work up a load for the 165 / 168 NBT for next season. I had thought about the AMAX also but being a match bullet I am thinking it would do the same as a SMK....Thanks

I've been using the 168 Amax a bit with no problems. I think they are moving slow enough you don't get all the bloodshot. I have not used the SMK, so I can't compare the two, but in my experience, the Amax works great. The wound channel looks no different than if you shot it with a partition or Barnes.

scan0039.jpg

One of my hunters with a nice mule deer buck he shot with my Surgeon .308 and a 155 scenar at 200 meters. I've seen at least 40 deer and antelope taken with that bullet out of various .308s...havent seen one run off wounded yet.

Use whatever shoots the best...place your shots right. Its not that complicated. Premium hunting bullets wont make up for shots placed in the wrong place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmcc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nosler Partition are probably the most reliable of the premium bullets. I use the Hornady 165 SST, just because I like the way they shoot through my rifle. They have great expansion in my experience but have heard of them blowing up at higher velocities. </div></div>yeah these are awesome bullets, im shooting the 95g sst's at 3100 out of my .243 and have had pass throughs on all my deer, cant wait to try a 150g one in a .308, hornady offers them in Heavy Mag that are right at 3000fps

Well Im a meat hunter myself, and use a 7x57, I have been using some 173gr Sellier & Bellot factory loads. And some 175 gr softpoint handloads. Both bullets have been great, with very little wasted meat. Longest walk was 15yds. Other 15 deer all fell like you unplugged em. Longest shot 155yds. So Im not the "great white" hunter by any means but heavy and slow works for me. If the impact velocities are 2700+FPS just too much jelatinous goo if you hit a rib or drop a shoot cuz of wrong angle etc.

I've used 165gr Nosler BT & Accubonds for two yrs now and will continue to shoot them. Noslers have done great for me hunting and target shooting as well. They are very accurate and put game down quick.

Ballistic tips are preferred (150 to 168 like the 168 most), but I'll shoot accubonds or other quality soft tipped hollow point. The accuracy and dynamic of the ballistic tips are extremely nice.

One bullet that worked well for me is 168 gr. berger hunting vld's. The load I used for hunting season was 43.4 RL-15, OAL 2.800. This was a 700 sps varmint 26". Shot two deer just behind the shoulder in the vital area. One at 30 yards and one at 80 yards. Both had golf ball-sized exit holes and both only ran about 10-15 yards. Hope this helps.

I've had good luck with the Rem Scirocco's 165's and they shot the best for factory hunting ammo out of my .308 LTR. I'd go for what shoots the most accurate out of your rig in a hunting bullet.

I have no doubt most .308 bullets are going to do fine on whitetail with good placement. I've shot many deer with the 06' in 150/165 gr federal BTSP ammo and never had a problem. More deer have probably been put down with simple cheap solid point offerings than any of the high dollar premium bullets.

I can not believe out of this whole thread Barnes triple shock only mentioned once. Well, I would load 130 gr tipped triple shock bullets. It took care of this in my son's 308
hunterbuff2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">185SGK's, 45gr Varget, Win case/primer/brass
Same load with a 175SMK and it's all within .03MOA to 400M. Worked on white tails in Upstate NY for my buddy just fine when we loaded them up </div></div>

Switchblade,
I looked at the Sierra site and no 185 SGK was listed. Could it have been the 165 or 180? I'm looking for a new load, also.

I like the barnes tipped triple shocks either 130 or 150 for the .308, also the 150 accubonds would smoke them to

If you are worried about blood shot meat, you are going to get that with any bullet that you shoot, if you hit the animal in a major bone. The barnes bullets leave less blood shot meat than most other cup core bullets as long as you dont hit a shoulder. I really like the tipped triple shocks for hunting but you do not need anything over a 150 grain in the barnes for whitetails

i use the 150gr hornady sst factory ammo. it worked flawlessly on two whitetail for me this year. when i gutted the buck i killed, his heart was in a thousand pieces. he ran 20 yards on pure adrenaline. the doe ran 10 feet and died. im very impressed and will continue using the sst stuff. plus i hold sub moa at 100 yds all day with my rem 700 and this ammo. good ammo and not hard on the wallet.

I prefer bullets that hold together well, and expand a little bit, but not excessively. I like the Nosler BT's, but they can expand pretty violently, I'll show pictures to prove it if you like. I don't shoot .308's, but I have experience with .308 calibers (.300 winmag). So keep in mind that the velocities I'm speaking about are .300 winmag, so you'll probably get a little more expansion with a .308.

I MUCH prefer the 180 grain accubonds, they hold together real well, even in .300 winmag. Every deer I've ever shot with a 180 grain accubond has passed through the other side, although I haven't shot a deer past 350 yards with them. They will expand some, but not as violently as the BT's. I've shot quite a few deer and friends have shot them (I was there) and many times, they don't exit. You get DRT deer, but the expansion can sometimes be pretty violent.

I like the Barnes Triple shock bullets, they work well. I think they expand more violently than the Nosler AB's in the same weight. I've seen a few wounds up that were up close with the Triple shocks, and they had a bit more blood shot meat than the Triple Shocks. All the bullets mentioned will perform reliably and take deer down. From what you have mentioned so far in what you desire from performance, I think the Nosler AB's will do more of what you want. Keep in mind that if you punch one behind the shoulder, you usually won't get an exit wound much bigger than 1" (sometimes less) with the 180 grain bullets.

If you were going to shoot a .308 Nosler Accubond bullet, I'd recommend you look at their 165 grain bullets. They probably have a little better ballistics, and may be a nice compromise between 180's and the 150's. Hope that helps, but that's the little bit of knowledge I have to contribute.

I used to shoot 5-10 whitetails per year with my .308, I used a lot of different bullets. Speer 165gr hot core, 165 gr grand slam, Hornady 165gr interlock, Nosler 150 gr partition gold, Nosler 165 BT, Hornady 220 round nose, Speer 100gr plinker (very close head shot...I don't recommend) ,

With the exception of the plinker, I liked the grand slam the best, they didn't tear meat up like the Nolser BT, they shot great in my rifle, and I was confident to use the same load when I hunted elk. I never recovered a bullet, and never had a deer get away, so I really don't think there is a bad choice. The grand slam aren't very high tech, and they don't have a great BC, but they work at decent hunting ranges, and don't seem to blood shot meat as bad as the lighter bullets.

I have had excellent results with the Nosler Accubond bullets accross numerous calibers. I have used the 150 and 165 in my GAP 308. Depending on your rifle and twist either will be more than adequate for deer. I also use the 180 grain in my 300 wsm and it is devestating.

+1 on the 168 AMAX. My deer this year was taken at close range, on the shoulder, boom flop. It did not even twitch. I have shot 2 150+ hogs with it as well with the same results.

I killed a doe this year with a 168gr smk(FGGM),but after seeing the exit wound I wouldn't use them again.Hardly any expansion.
Just wanted to see for myself. Used 168 Amax(HSM Match) on the next deer with much better results. Went ahead and bought a case
of it so I can use the same ammo for hunting and targets. Shoots
as good as the GMM in my 5R and NM M1A.
wink.gif

I have shot a couple out of the 308 with the 168FGMM and it did very good on deer. I got golf ball size exit wounds both times and neither deer made it more than 30 yards.

4 what its worth, i have been killing everything with the 175 SMKS for several years now. last year a doe lost her life at 436 yards with 1 175gn match king. this year i took a buck at 511 yards and another at 256yards. they both recieved a single 175 matchking. meat loss was minimal on all three. hogs have not been a match for it either, the same goes for coyotes. i really have not done a lot of research on bullet expansion though. my suggestion is if you have a load that meets your accuracy expectations, use it and focus on shot placement. this is what works for me, and of course we all know about opinions......good luck

im with ccoker. i used the 165hpbt gameking in my .308, 30-06 and .300wm on deer and black bear for years. dropped them in their tracks.

168gr. Berger VLD's in my Custom Rem.700 and 180gr. GK in my ole Savage 99. Both are very accurate and effective on Whitetails.

i was wondering about them for hogs, ill stick with a bt for deer but i want a bullet that will blow through the shield of a big hog and that one looks like it would do it.what kind of results did you have when hitting bone?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">130 gr Barnes X out of the 308. over 100 hogs this year, no losses. </div></div>

you could always load some 130, 150, 168 grain tipped triple shocks