• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 hunting load

fatdaddy1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Eatonton, Ga.
looking for a 165 hunting load...want to shoot between 250 and 400 yards. I will be shooting 5R or a TC pro hunter with/bulberry custom barrel.

Re: 308 hunting load

Well the Sierra 165 Game Kings are a good 165gr bullet but you will have to do the load work for "your gun". Even if somebody had a load that worked in their gun its not going to in yours.

In my gun I had good luck using 165 GKs with 44.8gr of Varget with a COAL of 2.760, Laupa brass, CCI BR2 Primers.

you can also look at the Nosler Accubond or Hornady bonded Bullet in that weight class. I use Winchester 748 and load my 308's in the 43.5 - 44.7 depending on rifle. Start at the bottom and work your way up looking for pressure signs or when you get to the FPS that you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the Sierra 165 Game Kings are a good 165gr bullet but you will have to do the load work for "your gun". Even if somebody had a load that worked in their gun its not going to in yours.

In my gun I had good luck using 165 GKs with 44.8gr of Varget with a COAL of 2.760, Laupa brass, CCI BR2 Primers. </div></div>

Same load (HPBT) shoots great out of 2 totaly different 308's. Haven't tried the AB yet but working with them and 06 now and H4350.

As stated, you will need to work up the load for your own rifle. I would start out with the Barnes Triple-Shock 165gr or 168gr and RL-15. I dont think you could go wrong with this combo.

My gun really likes 43 grains of reloader 15 with a 165 gr hpbt sierra gameking in remington brass, and a federal large rifle primer. 2.80 oal shot out of a lr-308

It is hard to go wrong with a .308 load. There are a lot of good bullets and powders out there. That being said, here is what I shoot out of my Savage 10FP:

Lapua Brass
CCI BR2 Primers
44.1 gr. Varget (2700 fps.)
168 gr. Barnes TTSX
2.810 COAL

With this load I shoot one hole five shot groups at 100 yds. and am .5 MOA out 300. I haven't had the chance to test further than that yet.

I choose Varget because it is extremely accurate in my rifle, gives good velocities, and is much less temperature sensive than other powders...Just something to think about on those cold winter mornings or hot summer days. IMR 4064 and Reloader 15 also work really well for me.

I choose the 168 gr. Barnes TTSX's because they are reliable, expand quickly, penatrate deeply, hold together well, are good for everything from coyotes to elk, and have a great ballistic coefficient (.470 just about as good as some of the match target bullets).

Ultimately, it will have to be your choice based on what shoots the best out of your rifle. There are a many good bullet choices for 30 cal. in the weight range you are thinking about.

Sierra, Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, Swift, and many others I am sure will get the job done.

Hope this helps.

T-Money, thats a nice group at 300 yards your getting... well done
smile.gif

I use the Lapua 155 scenars... i know i know they are a match bullet. However, I have found that there thick jacket gives them good penetration out to long ranges and I can place shots where I want them up to 500 yards... I have not tested further

I like to go for the shoulder shots and have found the scenars do a good job and breaking thru bone and causing shock and dropping game quickly.

I have had the 155 scenars punch holes thru metal poles out to 550 yards... Accidently had a shot go off to the side, miss the paper and collect the sign-post pole next to the target. This steel would be a few mm thick and it just punches right thru altho it is evident that the jacket rapidly comes apart on impact with these projectiles.

I have also used the Berger Hunting VLDs and find them to work well also

I never heard of a deer getting up after getting hit with a 175SMK or 178Amax, as always shot placement shot placement shot placement