• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .308 in New Barrelled M1A

Grump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2008
So. Utah
I'm trying the Optimum Charge Weight thing in the M1A now that I have a new barrel (tight! chamber...).

Nosler 155 FMJs, A-Maxes, and Nosler 168s touch the throat at 2.87, 2.88 and 2.89 OAL (forgot which was which), all too long for the mag, so we're jumping at least .07 if loaded to 2.80.

Thought I'd focus the efforts around loads that were reported as good by those of us on the Hide. Well I know every rifle is different and FC brass is a bit softer than others, but I'm beginning to wonder about you bolt-gun guys.

I think it was JL1911 who said 45.5 of H4895 was good with 155 HPBTs. I'm using WLR primers and FC cases--the lightest of several case types I have in stock.

44.9 H4895, Nosler 155s 2963 fps out of my 22-inch barrel, probably too hot.
Chrono picked up only the last of the three 44.9 shots.
45.3 H4895, 2939 fps, too hot (ejector mark, quarter-moon)
45.5 H4895, 2966 fps, too hot (ejector mark, half-moon)
45.8 H4895, 3011 fps, way too hot. (ejector and extractor marks, FLAT primer). Nice OCW spot at 45.3 will NOT be used in this rifle!

Now, this is from a 475-or-so batch of FC I got once-fired from some guys who shot a class with it at about 100 F. The factory loads ALL showed machine marks on the bodies (looked like not-so-polished chambers, like my son's Rem VSS), and slight ejector marks on about half of them.

That's part of why I use them. I believe they are soft enough to show "pressure signs" at 60K, rather than 70-75Kpsi.

So, I'm re-testing with some slightly smaller charges. I don't think you should be able to get 2930 fps out of a 22-inch barrel with that powder.

A previous run without the Chrono had shown promise with 45.5 4064 and the same bullets, so I ran 10 which had been thrown from the Dillon's powder measure. It tends to go +/- .3 grains, for a spread of .6 total.

The two five-round runs were:
Avg. 2882.1 2901.5
SD 34.6 29.5
ES 92.3! 75.2 (still not great)

Looking at 10 instead of 3, made me decide these are probably too hot as well. 1 MOA, I guess you could call that OK for thrown charges.

Then there was the Hornady 155-gr AMax.

43.0 H4895 too hot (sun low on horizon, Chrono went blind)
43.5 H4895, same,
44.0 H4895, same. Strange, but there was no perceptible difference in the slight ejector marks.

The AMax bullet has a shorter boat-tail resulting in a bearing surface about .050 longer than the other 155-gr bullets, but the pressure effect I expected was larger than I expected.

More testing tomorrow, insh'Allah.

Re: .308 in New Barrelled M1A

Looks like a nce way to crater an M1A with those loads and a non-modified gas system.
Go to Brownells and grab a Schuster adjustable gas plug.
Lets you regulate port pressure at the gas piston, less wear on the op rod, much increased life on the brass, less hazard for the shooter.

1. Do you know what specs the M14 gas system is supposed to run on? If so, state it.

2. Do you know what to look for in the ejection pattern of fired cases to reasonably estimate op rod velocity? If so, state it.

3. Do you know the slowest burn-rate powder recommended to avoid high port pressure in an M14 gas system? If so, state it.

4. Have you ever seen any test load reporting which included both peak chamber pressure and port pressure in an M14 type rifle? If so, please cite it.

I'm not really worried about the port pressure with these loads. The chamber pressure is most likely high, even accounting for the softness of the FC brass. I'd hate to imagine what chamber pressures I would have had with Lapua or Lake City or Frankford Arsenal or (the heaviest I have in my possession) Remington "7.62mm MATCH" brass.

With M852 and my old 190-gr loads, with the same bolt as the last barrel, the primer expansion and firing pin indent is running exactly the same as it was before, so I really, really doubt that I have a "fast" or high-pressure barrel.

I never expected to hit 3,000 fps with a 155 from a 22-inch barrel. That's my other warning sign with any load.

The warnings about working up loads still apply. I also now believe that my suspicions about boltgunners hot-rodding their loads a bit too much are often correct.

cool thread as im looking into reloading but i think for now ill stick to factory for my autos.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry we tried to offer advice based on experience.
You have a pleasent evening.

Hey, I'm more worried about the chamber pressure on these than the port pressure.

Vented gas plugs still appear to be needed only for those shooting heavier bullets and slower powders.

But hey, you guys can't tell I go back to the days of the military teams hot-rodding 190s in the M14. This was all before the 175 SMK came along to replace the 173-gr M118/M72 bullet. You could launch those at 2550-2630 with most any "proper" powder and not rattle an M14 type loose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry we tried to offer advice based on experience.
You have a pleasent evening.</div></div>

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Experience IS king, even if it only identifies variables not at play here and now.

What damage did you see in an M1A using what powder(s)/bullet weight(s)?

Having never pushed my few 190s past 2450, and seeing that the port pressures with 4064 were actually lower with heavier bullet loads, I never worried about bashing oprod or receiver with my loads.

But if you've seen signs of distress warranting a vented gas plug, I'm all ears.

I never saw receiver damage, but there's plenty of data and hard lessons where pushing the 190's and heavier in the M-1A/M14 resulting in bent op rods with a variety of powders. I stuck to 180s and below back in the early 90s when I competed across the course with an M-1A.