• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 Lapua brass > 308 Winchester brass

stapletonb08.1740

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
lucasville ohio
Wow im seeing much better velocity with lapua brass! Much more then i was with winchester brass! Exact same load data same COAL everything was the same here is the results. win brass,2.928 COAL .017 off the lands, 44g varget 175 SMK, 210 primers, 26in barrel 2564 fps. Same exact load data 2619 fps!

Re: 308 Lapua brass > 308 Winchester brass

Lapua brass is a bit thicker than the winchester so with the same load the lapua has a bit higher pressure and higher velocities.
cheers.

I am changing to Lapua myself. I really hope it does better for me.

Lapua has solid case heads, Winchester uses rebated, hence the case volume difference.

I bought Lapua .260 brass when I got my new .260 from Mike Bush. It has shot amazingly well, but at almost a buck a pop, I was reluctant to leave any on the ground at a match. So I got a bunch of Winchester 7-08 brass at 40% the cost, formed it into .260, touched the necks and did all of the other normal brass prep and it shoots *really* close to the Lapua, but takes nearly a grain more powder to get the same velocity. Lapua is 55 gr. H2O weight and Win. is 56.

If you want brass that will give you the utmost in consistency and accuracy, have lots of money and despise brass prep.... Lapua is the ticket. If you're on a budget or close enough is good enough... save a bunch of money and get the Winchester.

John