• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 LC Brass

bmicek

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
Looking to pick up some LC brass. I’ve done a little research and it sounds like LR brass may be what I want and there’s also particular years some people have recommended as well. Is this really how particular I need to be? I’ve seen some websites and some posts selling generic LC brass. Can I just remove the crimps from that brass and have good enough brass for say a 0.7-0.9moa load? This will be for a bolt gun for general plinking and hunting.

I don’t have any LC 308 but I routinely use range LC 556 brass in my bolt 223. It produces .5 easily.

When I started I would seperate lots by year but after testing some mixed batches I dont even seperate anymore.

Reactions: simonp and bmicek
I use a lot of 1977 LC match brass. I've never had problems using it in bolt guns. Usually get my best groups with it.

I use a lot of 1977 LC match brass. I've never had problems using it in bolt guns. Usually get my best groups with it.
I’ve seen references to many different years and that’s kind of where I got confused.

Maybe my question should be more like this. So if I buy any LC brass at all, as long as it is the same year, should my accuracy goal should be attainable? (assuming I’m decent at reloading and a decent shooter obviously). Also considering I may end up with crimped primers as well but I assume that’s only adding another step (remove primer crimp) and has nothing to do with overall accuracy potential, but maybe I’m assuming that wrong.

As I stated I don't sort shit besides making sure its LC brass I don't care what year it is. Crimped or not it all gets swaged than off to my normal reloading process. This is for a factory rifle that will consistently shoot around 1/2" with this brass. If you can find a nice lot of matching year id say its a bonus but I don't believe its necessary for your goals, everything else being capable.

Your biggest issue in buying the LC brass is nearly all of the fired brass being sold is Military once fired through a machine gun. This brass is a poor choice. It's been stretched way out by the oversized Military chamber and will only last a few reloads. It also can be difficult to resize back to SAAMI minimum specs.

Try to find a seller that can guarantee the brass was fired out of a bolt gun or at least an AR-10. Finding fired L/R brass is going to be difficult and it will likely be as expensive as good commercial brass.

I've used a lot of LC / US Military 7.62X51 brass over the years. It's decent brass if it wasn't fired out of a belt fed M/G.

Your biggest issue in buying the LC brass is nearly all of the fired brass being sold is Military once fired through a machine gun. This brass is a poor choice. It's been stretched way out by the oversized Military chamber and will only last a few reloads. It also can be difficult to resize back to SAAMI minimum specs.

Try to find a seller that can guarantee the brass was fired out of a bolt gun or at least an AR-10. Finding fired L/R brass is going to be difficult and it will likely be as expensive as good commercial brass.

I've used a lot of LC / US Military 7.62X51 brass over the years. It's decent brass if it wasn't fired out of a belt fed M/G.
That’s good information. Probably my biggest issue is finding a listing for some brass that indicates whether it was shot from a machine gun or not.

In my experience “regular” Lake City brass like you would find in M80 ball and the “LC LR” brass you see with M118LR aren’t interchangeable. The LR brass is much more uniform in weight and doesn’t have crimped primer pockets to deal with.

If you are loading for a bolt gun I’d just spend the extra up front on some high quality commercial brass. You’ll get enough loadings out of it that the difference in price vs some 1x fired Nato will be negligible when amortized over 10+ reloads. For a semi(especially one that beats up brass) you may be better off with more robust military brass at a lower price point.

I have 2000 IMI MATCH new brass, 3000 LC once fired and probably 800 LC match. They all last me 5 reloads? That’d be 25000 rounds minimum. I can load 1/4 of that right now. Powder is my bottleneck. 4064 only. Don’t want anything else. So by point of running out of components, they should be back on the shelves no problem.