• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 loads not chambering?

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
I have run into a situation that I can figure out. I just laoded a batch on 175 SMK's and for some reason they are REALLY difficult to chamber. The cases are once fired so i think im good on neck thickness, it feels like the neck is too high on the case, by that i mean some of the loads will not chamber and if they do I really have to torque the bolt handle to actually close it. I tried several different seating depths and OAL's but all have the same problem. Any suggestions or ideas??
Thanks

Re: .308 loads not chambering?

Were the cases fired in YOUR rifle? Are you full length sizing or neck only? How far is the bolt moving in before it gets difficult? Is your chamber clean? Bolt lugs and lug raceways clean? I'm assuming you checked the primers and they are at least flush with the case head.

If FL sizing, you may need to bump the shoulder back. Your die adjusted properly?

No the cases were not fired in my rifle, FL sizing, the bolt will close to just about 1/4 centimeter before the rotation knock to close it fully, the rifle is brand new, never been fired so the chamber, lugs and raceways are clean, primers are seated properly, (that was my initial response).

a couple things to troubleshoot:

1) are you using Fed (FC) brass?

2) Check the case length, they may be too long especially if not shot in your rifle

3) what kind of dies and were you lubing the inside of the case mouths? Did the case seem to stick in the die about 1/3 of the way on the way back out (downstroke of the press)? If so, the case expander ball may be causing enough drag to stretch your shoulders out of limit as the expander ball gets stuck in the mouth. See #1, FC brass is pretty soft and I had this exact same thing happen to me on reload batch #2.

4) if none of the above - go back and make sure your FL die is adjusted properly. Usually you'll want the base to just touch the shellholder and maybe even a very slight over-cam.

You could have a few problems. Most likely the chamber they were fired in is longer then yours. You need to bump the shoulders back on them. Next OAL might be to long or there might be a burr on the necks that needs knocked off. Its not likely that its just the necks being to thick. If the ejector or extractor are not getting in the way then it has to be the brass. I have notice that federal brass is really thick and might be causing you a problem if its a tighter neck in the chamber.

You absolutely need a case gauge to set your sizing die. I won't load ANY neckdown cartridge without one. If you are, you're just shooting in the dark.

Get a case gauge before you blow your face off.

EDIT:

I know there are even more complicated ways to do this, and those ways are fine. The case gauge is the easiest, cheapest, and fastest way for a newbie to do it. Nothing in this post should be taken as a criticism of other methods of properly setting headspace.

Is this a factory rifle or a custom rifle with a tight chamber?

How do factory loads chamber?

A SAAMI spec. case gauge, (like those made by Dillon or Wilson), is a great tool and usually under $25.00 depending on manufacturer, but may not be of use in tight, custom chambers.

Definitely check the case length for starters. If you have the means to measure the headspace from the datum line, make sure you do so.

I would bet money that the base dimension just above the case rim is in excess of .470".

Make sure you are camming over on your full length sizing die.

Also, make sure that you FL die is actually getting you there.

Terry

+1 on checking case length then start with some of the other suggestions on here. Once fired brass can need alot of triming to be the right length again.

Checking case length on once-fired brass is pointless. Cases do not grow that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Checking case length on once-fired brass is pointless. Cases do not grow that much.</div></div>

Maybe not in a bolt gun, but in a gas gun they do. I've shaved probably .09 if not .1 off of brass to get it back to 2.005 in my M1A and it shoots great. Checking something is never pointless, when you don't know what the problem could be. With his description I'd say either the case neck is hitting, or it needs FL resizing. Maybe it's too big around instead of too long.

Checking the case length is the first and easiest starting point. It was always the problem in my 40X. Lucky for you, it's a bolt gun. Had the bolt slam forward in my AR-10, not lock, and there I was with a rubber hammer,top of the line AR tapping the charging handle to get the round out.

I am trimming 90% or more, once fired .223 brass for my AR-15. Granted, it was not fired in my gun, but it was fired only once.

Factory chambers allow for a case length as long as 2.035"

New cases grow to 2.015" at most after the hottest of loads. Case length is not the issue.

Overcrimpig/improper sizing is more likely the culprit.

This may sound funny (never heard of any one else experiencing this) but once I loaded a batch with not enough outside neck chamfer (almost non-existant, I barely touched them with the chamfer tool) and it made them real hard to chamber, but it would chamber them if you gave it some torque. It feels different then when the shoulders need to be bumped. It's like the neck drags so it chambers easy until the neck gets up to the constriction in the chamber. Maybe it sounds strange but if you think that might be it try one case with more chamfer or what I did so I didn't have to pull that whole batch was I used a Lee crimp die on them and the problem disappeared. I think the trimmer I used had left a bit of burred edge on the outside of the case mouth that didn't get removed.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Overcrimping... is more likely the culprit. </div></div>

Just out of curiousity, how would that happen, neck bulging/shoulder buckling?

+1 on case guage, I have a Wilson that I use.

If it won't fit in there it generally won't fit in a chamber either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newbie Xcellence</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Overcrimping... is more likely the culprit. </div></div>

Just out of curiousity, how would that happen, neck bulging/shoulder buckling? </div></div>

When you overcrimp, the case buckles just below the shoulder. This isn't readily visible. You have to look at the case closely against a light source. When it buckles, the case body expands in the middle. This makes closing the bolt difficult and extraction even more so because the case is wedged in the chamber with alot of surface area touching.

Improper sizing, i.e. not bumping the shoulder back far enough or having the expander pull the shoulder forward will change the headspace enough to make closing the bolt difficult, but extraction is usually OK because only the shoulder is pressing against the chamber.

The worst case scenario is a combination of the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Checking case length on once-fired brass is pointless. Cases do not grow that much.</div></div>

So we shouldn't take literally less than 3 seconds to check anyway? Seriously, there is no harm in at least checking the case length to start.

Because case length is not the issue. A once fired case cannot possibly ever grow enough to stick a case like that.

I am not disagreeing, but it is indeed something that should be checked regardless. Being that case length can be checked effortlessly, there is no reason to not do it. The probability may be low, but anything is possible.

The brass is allegedly once fired, Federal bought from this site. The gun is a Remington SPS 700 Tactial. LordT313 is trying to help me get the dies set up for my rifle instead of his, but we aren't having any luck. All of the sizes seem to check out but we aren't sure what is going on. He thinks that the neck is the problem. Is there a way to adjust the neck on the die?

Not unless you have a bushing die.

Why don't you FL size the case and see if the empty case chambers. That's a start.

What dies are you using and how did you set them up? As already stated, check the brass in your chamber prior to priming or anything else to be sure you've got your FL die setup properly (something that should be done way before you go making a "batch" of reloads).

Allegedly is nice, measure the case length anyway.