• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 or .300 win mag??????????

CSAKing

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2010
Greenville, NC
Well title kind of says it all. Keep in mind that im just now getting into the long range game an this will be my first precision rifle build.

Re: .308 or .300 win mag??????????

Depending on your experience, however, there is nothing wrong with a 308 for long range. Unless you are proficient up to 1k and want to push further, a 308 will allow you to shoot more for less, JMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well title kind of says it all. Keep in mind that im just now getting into the long range game an this will be my first precision rifle build. </div></div>

Here a repost of mine for the new guy:

There is an old adage:

Crawl before you learn to Walk; Learn to Walk before you Run.

Now apply it to LR shooting:

Crawling: .223 Rem, .308 Win., 30-06

Walking: .243 Win, 260 Rem. 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, 7mm-08, 284 Win, 280 Rem, et al

Running: AI's on any of those calibers, 7mm SAUM, 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, <span style="font-weight: bold">300 Win Mag.</span>, et al

Running as fast as your little legs can carry you: 338 Lapua, the Chey-Tac's, 50 BMG, et al

Short cuts, as trying to cut in line, don't work for most folks, and usually result in someone buying your lovingly built rifle at a substantial discount.

Progressing from crawling to walking usually involves learning to reload, and parting with money to a gunsmith/gun builder.

There is an exception to the above rule, as highlighted in bold around 300 Win Mag. You can get a good LR 300 Win Mag, off the self, and there are a number of good factory match loads, so reloading is not a must (but a lot of cash to buy factory is a handy thing to have).

But unless your one of the 10% that is truly "recoil proof", your stay with a 300 Win Mag is usually brief, after several long shot strings. Muzzle brakes help, but generally piss off anybody that has to shoot next to you, so shooting alone a lot is in the cards.

All of this is IMHO, and YMMV, but after 42 years of shooting, I've seen more horror stories than successes, when somebody tries to walk or run, before they learn to crawl. You may be the exception that makes the rule, but I would not bet on it.

Bob

get the 308 IMO. Reason:

I went into precision shooting with some experience already and my first 308 build is still enough for me to keep learning and gaining experience by the day.

There is so much confidence and learning to do from 400 all the way to the 1k mark before you would even make a rifle capable of 1k+ useful

yes you may use a 1k+ rifle but you are just going to be walking the rounds in like a MG team until you gain the experience necessary.

That is my opinion atleast, and it is not that I am trying to be elitist(I am new to it too, so there is no way I can speak in that regard) - It is that I am saying this in the respect desertHK mention. You will get many more rounds per $100's you spend in ammo. This equates to more experience, a better understanding, and more trigger time(much needed in this hobby)

I tried the 300wm first. Wish i had the advice of above. Get the 308, if your planning ahead, get the long action 308 so somewhere down the line you can re-barrel to a larger caliber when you are proficient.

I say get a .223 for your first gun. If not, then .308.

Why? Ammo prices (and availability). You will be able to put more bullets downrange with a .223/.308 than you will with a .300 Win Mag.

Can you stomach tossing $25 downrange every time you shoot 20 bullets? For that money, you can skip 50 .223 bullets downrange (or 30+ .308's).

By getting more time behind the gun, you will have more practice at getting better. There is nothing more frustrating than throwing $2 down range with each trigger pull (along with customary sore shoulder) and then seeing the guy next to you with a .22LR outshoot you by a mile (happened to me once but my scope base was loose...).

I love shooting my 300WM but nowadays I favour shooting .223 / .243 / .308 - why? Not because of recoil or blast, but out to 900 / 1000 yards I can have just as much fun, refine my shooting technique and skills much more as those cals allow me to put more rounds down range.
By all means start with the 300 but there is real potential to develop a flinch / bad trigger technique / poor body position and poor follow through (not saying you will of course but its there...)
The .308 is in most peoples grasp to tame, the .223 is even easier to practice with in terms of recoil and cost but with the added benefit of teaching you how to read wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Split the difference and get a .30-06. </div></div>
this

I say .223, also perfect for zombie suirrel/chuck/gopher invasion

Between .308 and 300wm, I would highly suggest the .308. For a new shooter able to use any caliber, I would suggest .223. Many people buy the heavy hitting calibers to hardly ever shoot them. Money, sore shoulder, developing a flinch and ambushing the trigger, and many other reasons suggest that you should begin with something more reasonable. Learning on a .22 would also be a great, cheap idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just now getting into the long range game</div></div>

Go put 50 rounds thru a .300WM and your shoulder will decide for you.

Seriously, go get a good .223 and you can load it to shoot at 1k yards with some of the new high BC bullets and it will be much easier on your shoulder and wallett.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What will you be using it for? </div></div>

This question remains unanswered, and it the most important one. If "long range game" involves hunting, the 308 is a poor choice. If paper, it's not bad but I'd go with a .243, better ballistics and less recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just now getting into the long range game</div></div>

Go put 50 rounds thru a .300WM and your shoulder will decide for you.

Seriously, go get a good .223 and you can load it to shoot at 1k yards with some of the new high BC bullets and it will be much easier on your shoulder and wallett. </div></div>

Agreed; I bought a Stag Model 6 (.223) for my first rifle. Absolutely love it. Dialed in a load for it, now getting proficient at 18" x 18" steel at 935 yards. Now moved onto a 308 5R... loving it as well; There is no substitute for trigger time - Spend the money on reloading equipment and learn, learn, learn.... then shoot, shoot, shoot. My .02.

I almost did .300WM with my new barrel and build. But the idea of burning through a barrel in a few thousand rounds wasn't that appealing. Besides, I didn't have the loading gear for .300WM, it would have been completely starting from scratch.

For that reason I'd recommend you go with the .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper2ndrep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308..if your not on a tight budget. if so then a .223 </div></div>
Oh how can I count the ways a 308 is better:
1. Won't need shoulder surgery a few years from now.
2. Cheaper
3. much longer barrel life.
4. Short action
5. You will shoot it WAY more and enjoy it more.
6. You can use it for F-T/R competitions out to 1K yards...get a longer barrel if you actually want to shoot that far.

Get a .223 also, an awesome caliber out to 600 yards or so.

Do not get the 300 Win Mag. Don't get me wrong, it is a terrific cartridge that can reach to a mile that also kicks hard and is expensive to shoot. But for your first precision rifle definitely go with the .308 or .223. I would personally go for the .308 but it is preference. The 223 is a great low recoiling, cheap to shoot, fun cartridge however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper2ndrep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308..if your not on a tight budget. if so then a .223 </div></div>
2. Cheaper
4. Short action
6. You can use it for F-T/R competitions out to 1K yards...get a longer barrel if you actually want to shoot that far.

Get a .223, an awesome caliber out to 600 yards or so. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper2ndrep</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper2ndrep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308..if your not on a tight budget. if so then a .223 </div></div>
2. Cheaper
4. Short action

Get a .223, an awesome caliber out to 600 yards or so. </div></div>

If you need shoulder surgery from shooting a .308 then you better get some fucking professional instruction on rifle shooting. </div></div>

Whoa buddy, did you forget the thread title? He was stating reasons for .308 OVER .300WM.

Reason 1 is hilarious.

The answer to questions like this is always .308

Everyone in the precision game owns one and recommends them for good reason.

Components are cheap, recipes are common, data is readily available and it takes a long time to wear a barrel out.

I am a fan of .300wm. It fills a nice niche but .308 will fit the bill for 96% of long range shooters' applications and there's just no reason to deal with the added costs and pains that come with the magnums until you need that tool in your tool box.

My gun was originally chambered in .308 and is now 6.5 Creedmoor. .308 was great to learn on and learn to reload. TONS of factory ammo and TONS of information for reloading. Even after getting experience, I'm sticking with a round that is great on my wallet, more accurate, and most importantly, fun to shoot. Once you learn to be accurate on the .308 at LR, you will be acurate with anything.

I say go with the 308. Lots of reasons for both guns but the 308 is somewhat less inexpensive to shoot and a little less kick. Easy round to develop some good shooting habits. (But then again so is the 223)

If you have to ask, then go with the .308.

The .300WM's recoil and barrel burning is not conductive to learning the fundamentals.

Unless you have a specific need for a .300wm, don't go that route.

I will be starting a .300wm build, but only because I want to sling a .30cal bullet to a mile and actually hit what I am aiming at. My .308 will still see the vast majority of my trigger time to 1000yards and beyond (if I can get the 208's to shoot in it).

308 and be done with it. A nice upgrade down the road if you want
to strecth things a little further 300wm would be good. By then you
will be able toake an informed decision.

Even though I'm not quite the veteran as some here I have been shooting tons in the last few years and still cannot understand why 308 is so popular. Yes it's pretty good at lots of stuff but in the end too much of a compromise.

If you want a manageable recoil but 223 is just too wimpy go with a 7mm-08 (better BC), if you want long range lethality that isn't a bruiser go with one of the 7mm short mags (flatter shooting with higher long range velocities).

If you're going to put up with a muzzle break go with a 338 mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even though I'm not quite the veteran as some here I have been shooting tons in the last few years and still cannot understand why 308 is so popular.</div></div>

First, it's popular BECAUSE it's popular.

There are loads of data, components rifles and experience for it.

Secondly there are many of us who are extremely comfortable with it, and comfortable teaching it. It's not so much WHAT as WHAT you can do with it.

Lastly with some of the new bullets and powders available the .308 is the swiss army knife of rifles. I can go light and fast or heavy and long. The load I am currently working up will sling a 208 Amax at 2600fps. That will stay supersonic for a long way and hit like a truck.

.308 is not the only answer.....but it's a damn good one.

Simply, one is a pleasure to shoot and the other is not.

Everybody here recommended that I get the .308 when I first started, and I'm glad I did. There's match grade ammo for the .308 cheaper then hunting ammo for the .300 Win Mag. I've shot mine a lot and it's just comfortable to learn on. I've shot .300 Win Mag rifles and for me the recoil is pretty manageable, but for starting out I would definetly get the .308. Sometimes you will here someone say that the .308 is underpowered, but I completely disagree with that. As does the military, the .308 is there most commonly used sniper rifle round.

For a starter .308, or better yet .223. That cheaper the ammo the better. It takes alot of time and ammo to gain, and maintain skill with a rifle.

I just got done making this decision, and went with the 300wm strictly because it was going to be a LR hunting rifle as well. Elk are some tough MFer's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sootstorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got done making this decision, and went with the 300wm strictly because it was going to be a LR hunting rifle as well. Elk are some tough MFer's </div></div>
I do agree with you about the need for extra punch if you are shooting at very long ranges. Out to about 500 or so, I think a 308WIN is more than enough for elk...

My 13 yr old son got an elk last year with a 125 grain Nosler ballistic tip loaded as a light recoil round. He hit the elk with a perfectly-placed double-lung shot that went through both sides. The elk did not move from the spot and keeled over about 15 seconds later. IMHO shot placement trumps caliber every time. Most people shoot a lot more accurately with lighter recoiling rounds.

BOTH , start with 308 , never sell it! then get you long range bomber 300 winmag and cross train with each

I decided this same question while looking at a Remy 5R. I shot a 300WM once and I now have a .308.
wink.gif

I vote .308

- cheaper to shoot
- better brass options as far as i know lapua dont do .300WM brass
- better barrel life... for every 3-4 .300wm barrels you will use 1 .308 barrel
- less recoil
- can be re-chambered to utilise another BR cartridge such as .260rem, 6mmBR, 7mm-08 etc
- .308 is more of a "work horse" cartridge

Nothing wrong with the .300WM, just if your learning on it your likely to smash thru a few barrels and more $$$ before you reach your end goal of proficient LR shooting.

I would do it on the .308, see how you go from there you never know by the time you have become good on the .308 you might want to move up to something even bigger than the .300winmag.

vin