• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 or 6.5 Grendel

gmphk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I am getting ready to order a custom bolt action and want to get something I will not tire of or feel I should have gone the other way. I currently have a GAP-10 in 308 that shoots lights out with boxed 175 SMKs from Federal. I am setting up to reload 308 and have much of that task ready to go with the necessary items to get started. The ballistics are very similar and want the best of the two. Should setting up my reloading bench be a serious consideration or should I go for a lighter recoiling cartridge? I am aging, by the way, whether that makes a difference... Thanks for your thoughts.

Why the Grendel in a bolt gun? If you want to go 6.5, go with a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor, both of which have significantly more juice than the Grendel. Go with the Grendel if you want to use an AR15 platform. I shoot a .260 and is has noticeably less recoil than the .308. It shoots flatter, bucks the wind much better, and has more energy downrange.

The only thing I wish is that I would have made the switch earlier. My .308 bolt gun, has seen very little use since I started shooting my .260 two years ago.

Why the Grendel in a bolt gun? If you want to go 6.5, go with a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor, both of which have significantly more juice than the Grendel. Go with the Grendel if you want to use an AR15 platform. I shoot a .260 and is has noticeably less recoil than the .308. It shoots flatter, bucks the wind much better, and has more energy downrange.

The only thing I wish is that I would have made the switch earlier. My .308 bolt gun, has seen very little use since I started shooting my .260 two years ago.

This is what I am seeking...anybody else...? Barrel life...?

If you reload the .260 is a great caliber. If you like to shoot factory rounds go with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have put about one hundred rounds through my .308 since I built my 6.5x47. Twelve hundred fifty rounds through the six-five since its birth last February. Half the recoil and a lot better trajectory.

The 6.5 Grendel is optimized for the AR-15 platform. Can't be beat, nowhere, no how...on any level. My son loves the hell out of his, I never get to shoot it (even though I load 150 rounds for the prick every range trip)

With the right boolit and load (like the 123 Amax), it'll beat the .308 at 1000 in velocity, drop, and drift. Usually they're shot from much shorter barrels on the AR's so they don't necessarily have the "real world" velocity to compete head-to-head.

It's said plainly above. For a short action bolt gun, you're not limited by mag length- and mainly boiler room capacity- and other constraints of that platform. So why settle?

There are many that will serve you well.

I re-barreled my Savage to 7-08, but am having some regrets now as Hornady decided the venerable 162 Amax wasn't worthy of production currently (pissing off a LOT of 7mm shooters).

There is a much greater range of 6.5 match bullets available, so I'm re-barreling my son's 700 to .260 for Xmas.

We only punch steel- so energy isn't a consideration. If it were, I'd probably still go with 7mm.

Millions of threads on this, it's all a trade-off on barrel life, and recoil. Might consider the 7mm short magnums as well.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the Grendel also. My 16 inch AA shoots .25 at a 100 with Hornady 123 Amax. I would like to have a NASTY 24 inch bolt gun in the Grendel beastie. The Grendel is the most accurate caliber I have owned. I would think with a 24 inch tube the accuracy would be fine to a 1000. Working up hand loads would really make it shine. I love the
ballistic coefficients with this round. The 130 grain swift scirocco (not sure if I spelled that correctly) is around a .570. The 6.5's are hard to beat when it comes to accuracy, drift, drop, etc.
Ask someone who has a 24 inch AR in 6.5 Grendel how they shoot to a 1000-1200. They are incredible. The Grendel may not leave as fast as the 260 or Creedmoor, but the barrel life will be a great deal longer for sure. Good luck.

While I have 308s (Sako TRG, Multiple Tikka T3s, etc) as well as a custom .260 R700 that is a tack driving joy to shoot, the older I get, the more I want to simplify my gear. I've consolidated multiple safes full of numerous calibers. The point is, unless you are intending to be a competitive shooter who needs the latest, greatest, wind slicing, high BC cartridge, there is something to be said about minimizing the calibers you reload for.

If you have a bolt gun and a gas gun that both shoot the same load, that makes things pretty nice logistically. Just something to consider, from someone who has a few decades of handloading under his belt and prefers to keep it simple when possible.

Nothing wrong with a high quality .308 bolt gun.

While I have 308s (Sako TRG, Multiple Tikka T3s, etc) as well as a custom .260 R700 that is a tack driving joy to shoot, the older I get, the more I want to simplify my gear. I've consolidated multiple safes full of numerous calibers. The point is, unless you are intending to be a competitive shooter who needs the latest, greatest, wind slicing, high BC cartridge, there is something to be said about minimizing the calibers you reload for.

If you have a bolt gun and a gas gun that both shoot the same load, that makes things pretty nice logistically. Just something to consider, from someone who has a few decades of handloading under his belt and prefers to keep it simple when possible.

Nothing wrong with a high quality .308 bolt gun.

This was my first thought. Sticking with something the same has its merits...