• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 or 6.5CM

Timl

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
Washington State
I'm having second thoughts on my caliber choice. I originally wanted a rifle built in 6.5CM. Now I'm second guessing that decision. The shooting range I belong to only goes to 600 yards. I don't reload. I'm thinking I might have trouble getting good 6.5 ammo as only a few companies make it. I thought going with 6.5 would make it easier to shoot as it does not recoil much. Am I over thinking this or should I go with 308. This will be my only bolt action rifle except for a .17 HMR I have. Thanks for any input y'all can give me.
Tim

Re: 308 or 6.5CM

personally, i would buy a cheaper(er) .308, and then learn to reload for it.

reloading for accuracy is as much fun, if not more, than the actual shooting.

i'm a long way away from a pro at this stuff, but i think the two go hand in hand.

I recently bought a 6.5 CM and now I am questioning why I should own a .308...Unfortunately only Hornady makes ammo for it. I reload and have been able to find brass so ammo is not an issue for me. Order a bulk quantity and don't look back!!!

My 6.5 CM is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned or fired.

My Creedmoor is more fun to shoot than my .308. Go Creedmoor and don't look back.

I will 2nd the above comments. Get the Creedmoor and learn to reload. A basic starter kit wont set you back much, and you can upgrade it piece by piece as you see fit. It is much cheaper than buying factory ammo and as a plus, the Creedmoor reloading data is printed right on the boxes of factory ammo. Reloading is as much fun as shooting for many people, and I'm one of them.
-Dan

Being that your not into reloading the answer is simple, GO .308. You already know why. You can find good match ammo, on sale, anywhere. If you get into reloading later than just swap the barrel out and "vuala" you have a 6.5 of your choice (personally I prefer the 260rem). Besides I think everyone should have a .308 they can shoot all the time with little worries of burning barrels out.

Creed is the sexy choice but I would go .308

If recoil bothers you then just brake it. You can also shoot the 155's and have a very flat shooting caliber gun but still allow you to shoot any .308 if need be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 (much cheaper) unless you have deep pockets. </div></div>

Really? I just checked Midway and excellent Creedmoor match ammo is $26 a box, and the equivalent in 308 (FGMM) is $30 per box. It's close enough that the price really isn't a consideration, so why not get the round with better ballistics and less recoil? Either will work fine, but I was in your shoes a while back, and sold my 308. I'm currently putting together a Creedmoor. It was a no brainer for me.

For good prices on 308 FGMM take a look at palmetto state armory, they usually hang around $20 a box. Also SW Ammo makes really nice 308 with 175smk for about the same price.

I heard nothing but great things about the creedmoor, but the .308 is a great all around round that you can find rounds for it from many companies. If you have a chance to shoot further u can still use the .308. The .308 is a good choice. Personally I would go with the creedmoor

Both calibers will get you out well past the 600 yards that your range has to offer. Personally I prefer the 308 but that is just me. A lot of competitive shooters have moved to the 6, 6.5 and 7 mm calibers and do very well with them. The ammo isn’t that hard to come by and there is a growing popularity in those caliber ranges, so I am sure that more and more will become available in the near future. The important thing is for you to pick one, go get it, shoot it and have fun.

Good luck

Ike

I have a 308 now and was going to go 6.5cm for my wifes rifle but opted to go 223rem. I am second guessing the decision now but all the parts are at the builder already. I'm wishing I would have gone CM.

So my choice if I were you, go CM and run with it.

Don't count the factory 140gr 6.5 cm ammo out just yet. This is just as good as match 308 loads out there. Go 6.5 cm and don't think twice.

I'd recommend the .308. You can get match-grade ammo for $1/round and inexpensive surplus that's fine for shooting in less-stable positions for less than $0.50/round. If you do decide to reload at some point, then you can swap the barrel for one in the 6.5 mm round of your choice.

—Andreas

My 308 spends much time in the darkness of my gun safe since the 6.5CM came along. Lower recoil, excellent ammo, fantastic accuracy........ should I keep gushing?

Get the .308 and have some. Learn to reload and enjoy the benefits of being able to dial a load in for your rifle. Then later down the road if you still feel the need pick up a 6.5CM.

I plan to buy a 308 and shoot the snot out of it, then when I get ready to rebarrel I'll have it trued and turn it into a 6.5
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 308 spends much time in the darkness of my gun safe since the 6.5CM came along. Lower recoil, excellent ammo, fantastic accuracy........ should I keep gushing?
</div></div>

Yeah but in the darkness or not....you still have her. Why? Because you don’t get rid of a good work horse just because you have a new pony to play with.

or just find someone with a 6.5 shoot it side by side with a .308 and then decide! everyone here has there opinions but your the one that gonna have to live with what you decide. if all fails go with the .308 and later you can true it up and build a 6.5!

if you want proof creedmoor is the bomb find inline6 and pm him... He just fired a 4 shot group that is tighter at 300 than mine at 100. he also reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arrowslinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan to buy a 308 and shoot the snot out of it, then when I get ready to rebarrel I'll have it trued and turn it into a 6.5
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thats my plan with my .308 also.

I've been a 308 guy my whole life then went to a 6.5x 47- thats very close to the 6.5cm and never looked back, the high bc 6.5 projectiles are amazing and will drop alot less at 600yds.

Also a possibility, chat with some of the sponsors on here Like Andrew at McCourt for loads for your rifle. Excellent quality ronds for an excellent price
smile.gif

.308 owns the 600 line and can do so in an extremely short barrel. If you are confident that is the only range you will ever shoot on it should be .308, shoot the barrel out, don't; brake or supress it...learn to manage the recoil and if you enjoy the sport and want to progress then go 6.5CM.

If you are going to shoot factory match grade ammo for target shooting go with 6.5 Creemoor for less drIft and drop. The cost is not bad for Hornady ammo, and about equivalent to 308win match ammo. If you order in bulk, then no problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 owns the 600 line </div></div>

Maybe I missed something somewhere???

I batted this around for quite some time before making my decision to buy a 700 Milspec 5R in .308. My local range is limited to 600 yards and I shoot mainly paper. It is my only bolt action rifle and like you I do not reload my own ammo.

One of the considerations I had to deal with was the availability of the ammo and the cost. As much as I wanted to buy a CM based rifle, I found the cost of the ammo to be much more than for a .308. I purchased FGMM in 168gr and 175 gr for less than $1 a round. I can't remember right off the cuff how much a box of 20 6.5 CM would have cost at the time I was looking but it was on the order of $26 - $32 per 20 rounds. Having said that, if I was into reloading, I would have bought a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 CM as my starter rifle. My plan is to learn with and shoot the heck out of my .308. When I wear the barrel out, I will swap out to 6.5 CM and in parallel will get into and learn about reloading. Who knows, by then maybe 6.5 CM factory rounds will become more readily available from different manufacturers along with a drop in price.

Best of luck to you....when all is said and done, do what is right for you, your budget, and your intentions with this rifle.

GTGunner

Creedmoor ammo is in the $24-26 range which puts it right in line and often cheaper than like match .308 ammo, and if you look around you can find it down near $22. If you are paying $32 a box you are not looking hard enough. Yes you can get cheaper .308 but it's usually 168grn or reman. The Creedmoor is a better long range round. You can use the factory loaded ammo for matches. That's what our Team shoots so we know it's plenty accurate.

6.5 CM is a great clambering...it is what I use. But, you will not see much gain or appreciate its advantages until you have slung a lot of 308. I see new shooter all the time that the caliber does not make a difference.

Get a 308 and burn out the barrel. Then go with CM or something else.

First reloading is a must regardless of what cal you shoot

308 case is a piss poor design period, any of the new high efficient cartridges are way better
X47, 6XC, SLR, CM

Yes the old guard will have a fit the 308 has had its day there are better options ... that is a fact

reloading is requirement, embrace it.

i shot 308 for yrs but put it to bed in 2006
my X47 best thing since sliced bread

308 vs a fast 6/6.5 well its a no brainer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 case is a piss poor design period, any of the new high efficient cartridges are way better

Yes the old guard will have a fit the 308 has had its day there are better options ... that is a fact

308 vs a fast 6/6.5 well its a no brainer </div></div>

I agree 100% with that. Im not sure why this is even a question these days. If a 308 is what you want, there's nothing wrong with that. But for accuracy (and reduced recoil in most cases) there are way better choices out there.

Factory 6.5 Creed can be had for $21 if you look around. That is as cheap if not cheaper than FGMM. Also I have never seen a rifle that didn't shoot the factory stuff extremely well.

Save the brass just incase you decide to reload later. If not, sell it here on the hide for .30-.40 each. You can't do that with FGMM as the Federal brass sucks and no one wants it.

So from this point, I say that the 6.5 is cheaper, more accurate, and ballistically superior.

How does a 308 155g compares against 6.5 CM? What’s the recommended twist rate to get the best accuracy out of a 155g? A 13 twist rate?