• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 over 270????

Re: 308 over 270????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmm really smart ass then maybe you should get ahold of the mods and have them delete the hunting section of this website and ask everyone thats not mil or leo to leave, move on dumb ass<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are on a website for military and LE...and ask why everyone prefers the standard NATO round vs a popular hunting round. Gee, lemme figure that one out. Go to a hunting website and see what kind of answer you get. </div></div> </div></div>

You have to admit, scoot has a point.

What a load of crap.

The 6.5x55 is used to reliably take elk all over Scandinavia and has been for about 100 years!

Must be 180 @ 3000fps?

6.5x55 doesn't approach that, yet here we are.

It's getting deep in here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Keep dreamin.</div></div>
Matchking, your right I was pretty harsh on the .270. This discussion is going to boil down to three things just like every other hunting caliber discussion-
1. Shot placement
2. Practice, Practice, Practice
3. Bullet selection

I would rather see a hunter show up with his whitetail gun (.270, .308, .243, whatever) that he has several hundred rounds through, knows his limitations, knows it’s reliable, and he is comfortable shooting then a Ultra or WBY that he has ½ box through from the bench.

Is a 180g bullet at 3000fps preferred for elk? For me, yes, need no. When you’re out of breath, last day of the hunt, and presented with less than optimal shot, I like to know I’ll be going home with meat. I have too much invested in time, energy & money to have any doubts about the caliber and equipment. If you’re on a once in a lifetime hunt, why question this stuff?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmm really smart ass then maybe you should get ahold of the mods and have them delete the hunting section of this website and ask everyone thats not mil or leo to leave, move on dumb ass<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are on a website for military and LE...and ask why everyone prefers the standard NATO round vs a popular hunting round. Gee, lemme figure that one out. Go to a hunting website and see what kind of answer you get. </div></div> </div></div>

You have to admit, scoot has a point. </div></div>

This is the RIFLE section, not the LE and MIL rifle section. Unless it's stated somewhere that I didn't see, a rifle section seems like it would be used to talk about rifles which is what we're doing.

Saving the 270 can't be discussed in the rifle section might as well have the mods remove all non-5.56/308/338LP/50 caliber posts. And I suppose that includes anyone talking about shooting 223 out of a 5.56 barrel. Come on... lighten up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmm really smart ass then maybe you should get ahold of the mods and have them delete the hunting section of this website and ask everyone thats not mil or leo to leave, move on dumb ass<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are on a website for military and LE...and ask why everyone prefers the standard NATO round vs a popular hunting round. Gee, lemme figure that one out. Go to a hunting website and see what kind of answer you get. </div></div> </div></div>

Wow, apparently you mistake my comments. I did not say 308 is bad for hunting. Nor did I say anything bad about the 270: was defending it actually. I said you asked a 308-focused website why people prefer the 308. It's kind of obvious what answer you will get here. I use 308 to hunt with and do not have a 270, but the crowd is a little biased on this website and you will get the biased opinion. Anyways, I'm a dumbass and will move on.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well ive been comparing the numbers and i just cant figure out why so many prefer a 308 over a 270 for hunting. All the way to 500yrds the 270 wins in every category. Now im not talking paper im talking hunting. Why are there NO .270s around here??? I have owned a 270 but not a .308 so its hard for me to compare. Someone help me out here, what could there possibly be that would have the 308 better when the 270 is faster flatter and hits harder??? </div></div>

Few things are easier to whip than the 308 and the 270 is certainly no Trump Card.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larry,

Another persona, I'm impressed. NOBODY says it like you.... </div></div>

I thought I spotted it first. lol

7mm beats 'em both. Pick 7mm-08, rem mag, weatherby mag, whatever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm beats 'em both. Pick 7mm-08, rem mag, weatherby mag, whatever. </div></div>

Is this a contest?? What exactly, pray tell, can a 7mm-08 do on game, that a 260 rem, 270 win, or 308 win, cannot??

Maybe leap buildings in a single bound??

Enlighten us please......

7mm bullet has about as good a BC as can be had, for starters, and many loads across the spectrum hold energy better than rivals over long ranges. This being a long range forum...

The old Keith/O'Connor/ debate will not be decided by me, I agree a dead animal doesn't care if it was a .22 or a 577 tyro but what are we looking for in a round? For me, superior BC with enough energy over 500 yards to kill the game in question. I don't hunt for a living, so as someone said earlier I don't want to risk a non-killing shot when in field.

7mm mags do great, 7mm-08 is fine for a lighter cartridge, and most of my workups show it holding energy better than a 270 over 300 yards. So 270 kicks harder but you don't get a reward at distance, plus 270 blows in the wind more than 7mm.

Just my two cents.

K. Bell killed more Elephants than anyone else ever has, useing a 7X57

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">K. Bell killed more Elephants than anyone else ever has, useing a 7X57 </div></div>

I think you'll find that W.D.M. Bell killed his 1500+ plus elephants with a combination of 7x57, 6.5 MS, and 318 WR.

I would also venture, that many more elephants (by one than one person of course) have been killed in the last 50 years, by the 308 Winchester, (in the guise of a 7.62 Nato out of an FN-FAL w/20 rd clip).

Not sporting of course

Stupid me...; bringing a staight response to a pissin' match...

Oh yea? Ford's better than Chevy. So there!
Patrick
P.S. this is intended as a metaphor for this "disscussion".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are on a website for military and LE...and ask why everyone prefers the standard NATO round vs a popular hunting round. Gee, lemme figure that one out. Go to a hunting website and see what kind of answer you get. </div></div>

ding, ding, ding! we have a winner! I just found this thread, and I'm surprised it took so long for somebody to say this.

well thanks guys, what i was really wondering was why the 270 was so rare around here but i got my answers. i wasnt really comparing the two because i know they have very big differences but was just wanting to see the ups and downs with both. Its funny two guys at hunt camp keep telling me to never get a 270 they suck on deer, turns out they were using them back before the ballistic tip bullet was very popular and they were ragging up alot of deer and blaming it on the "small" bullet of the 270. they both now shoot 300wby mags and i have helped them track a few deer over the years now.i hate when people blame there bad shots on the equipment. these guys shoot there rifle about 3 times a year right before season opens to simply make sure they are on paper. the 270 and 308 are the most popular deer rifles for a reason and i have decided that either is good. looks like i am going to have to buy one of each to make me happy. thanks for the help guys

The .270 has been putting venison in the freezer for a lot longer than the current premium bullets have been around. You said it yourself - your friends are making bad shots with a bigger gun now. It wasn't the fault of the caliber or the bullets, they weren't putting them in the right place. I used to know a guy who hunted elk every year with a .270 and never had a problem making clean kills. He was very familiar with his rifle/load and very picky about his shots. Knowing your limitations and those of your rifle/bullet are more important to success than simply having a big gun.

If you get close enough to a lot of animals/living things you can kill them with very crude implements.

The whole point of a rifle is to do the job from as far away as possible if the situation requires it of you.

From that point of view the tool with the characteristics to do that job the best is a big factor.

Yes you can kill lots of stuff with a 270, there are just other rounds that remove variables from the equation.

Outerspace,

You keep spouting stuff about better rounds. I'm not married to a 270 Winchester, and I use other calibers a well.

But if you plug a 270 winchester into JBM, with a 150 gr Berger going @ 3000 FPS, and compare any magic 7mm of like capacity, like say the 280 Rem., with any bullet of your choice.

The differences under 700 yds, are pretty small to make a big case of one over the other? Is the 7mm better? Yes, marginally. Does that better make a difference in killing something that they are both suited for?

That would be a no...

I get that you like the 7mm. They are just fine, as a hunting, or target round. Other than the fact there are no match bullets, what you can do with a 7mm caliber, you can also do with a 270 caliber, in the field. .277 v .284 diameter is not much to hang a hat on.

So what other variables would you like to discuss. I got the time, please educate us on superiority, real or imagined....

Well the BC is better for a 7mm. My preference for it flows from that.

I certainly don't need or want to "slam" or insult the 270 or anyone who uses it, no need. My cousin I hunt with has been using a 270 for 10 years and loves it.

I do like to popularize the 7mm because the more people shooting it the more bullet options we'll get.

I think people in the 270-300 mag spectrum should look at the 7mm rounds, there are a lot of good things going there.

My 30-06 will more far than those ones.

thank you.

My 67 year old uncle (cowboy and rancher) has killed numerous elk and deer throughout Idaho and Oregon since he was a kid. Weapon of choice: 25-06. They kill elk by evidence of his 8x9 bull from over 300 yards. I agree with the "bullet placement" theory.

Hey go with the 270 WSM Burning 74grs of MagPro behind a 140gr Berger VLD producing 3250 FPS. So at 400yds I still have a ton of energy.Still moving over 2,000 fps at 600yds with 1500 ft lbs of energy.That's double of the AVERAGE 44 magnum load at point blank.

The .270 WSM rocks! Short action, lightweight barrel, this browning A-bolt is an easy carry all day.
The 6.5 grendel is pretty sweet too.
DSC_0041.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is "more far". </div></div>

More far is a CH shy of crazy far,which is of course the pinnacle.

If it isn't 7mm,you are sucking hind tit.

Owlshit,

Another friggen davey crockett expert rears his head. Please elucidate on the all the hinds you been suckin'. What more far whizzbang 7mm boom stick you shooting pilgrim?

Does it have a more far Counter Sniper scope on it??

Inquiring minds want to know....But, you do sound like one of Larry's (NOBODY's, aka Big Stick, aka dangerfirst, aka, whatever his handle is now) little elves, or one of the camp followers from his website .

Your banter has a ring to it, and now that he's back on the Hide, his trolls follow......very cute.

Of course if you are not one of Larry's spawn, my apologies, but I have seen this show before. And he is the master of these sort of one liner posts. He is copied often, but never equaled.....

Oh I shoot a little of everything and alot of many things and in particular those in the .284" bore sizing.

There's really little danger of anyone getting a leg up on me,though that doesn't mean that I'm not flattered in the attempt(s) or find humor in the ease of squashing same.

Tough to feign experience,though I dig it when folks give it a whirl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh I shoot a little of everything and alot of many things and in particular those in the .284" bore sizing.

There's really little danger of anyone getting a leg up on me,though that doesn't mean that I'm not flattered in the attempt(s) or find humor in the ease of squashing same.

Tough to feign experience,though I dig it when folks give it a whirl.

</div></div>

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Most guys on here are going to favour the 308 rather than 270. I got one of each, last day at the range we were struggling to get the 308, 303 etc to make the 1000 yard line so next time I am going to take the 270 with a tactical scope on it, as in theory my 130gr load has more legs.

That should (may!) drag some people out of their prejudices

A few of my friends have .308s in R700 SPS just for a deer rifle. I have always used a .270 cause i got the rifle cheap back when i was 13. Since then ive bought a R700SPS in .270 and have gotten curious as to what it is capable of.

With no defined aiming point at 500yds it held a 5.75" group with 140gr Berger VLDs/49.5grs H4831SC/BR primers thru a factory SPS.
This weekend im goin to zero it at 600 and my buddy is goin to bring his 308 out and we are goin to see how they compare.
Then stretch them out to 1000 if we are lucky.

Like said above, if you cant hit with it then it dont matter does it?

Just remember ole Hatchcock doin what he did back in the 60s with a good ole .30-06
laugh.gif

I like the .270Win. Have shot allot of 7.62 out of M40A1s with unertil scopes. Infact most of my shooting has been done with .30 cals of one sort or another.Had a couple different 300 mags, one Winmag and another a H&H. For me seemed like allot of blast, noise and a little pain. My granddad would always give me an earfull about how all you need is a .270, shoots flat, has plenty of power and doesn't destroy meat. I bought my .270 at walmart for $300. Rem700 ADL. bought a couple boxes of 130corelokts and she shoots about 1moa sometimes 1.5moa. That's much better than the AR10 match I had. (with corelokts, not match ammo) Now there at the local Walmart in the ammo section, .270 trumps 30-06 and .308 probably 3-1. They always keep a big stock of .270. guess its popular around here. I like the fact that 1- .270 ammo is plentiful and 2- my rifle shoots well with the cheap stuff and I don't need some spendy match grade or hand loaded ammo. (I do handload for it thou). Now I don't think its a 1000yd gun in my hands, but luckily I can stalk close enough to kill pretty much whatever I want, most the time, and if I cant, well that's what makes it interesting. Now when it comes to bullets and the .270, well there are some fine hunting bullets with some decent BC. and they have the added benefits of actually being designed to kill what you hitting. Just a long winded thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">K. Bell killed more Elephants than anyone else ever has, useing a 7X57 </div></div>

I think you'll find that W.D.M. Bell killed his 1500+ plus elephants with a combination of 7x57, 6.5 MS, and 318 WR.

I would also venture, that many more elephants (by one than one person of course) have been killed in the last 50 years, by the 308 Winchester, (in the guise of a 7.62 Nato out of an FN-FAL w/20 rd clip).

Not sporting of course </div></div>

I seen films with that, they walk right up to a herd of elephants maybe 2 or 3 family - pop them with the FAL's in the head "one shot" they don't even run or scatter, just like cow.

I have reloaded and hunted with .270Win for years until 8 years ago when I went to an Win 77 SS in .270WSM. In the last year I purchased 3 rifles in .308- a Chilean Mauser, a H&K G3 clone, and most recently a Rem 700 SS 5R MilSpec. I love both cartidges, but for now, I hunt deer with my .270WSM.

Could the 308 be more favorable cause of the length of the action? If i was to purchase a rifle with a caliber that requires a long action I would choose the 30 06 at the least. Just for the record i respect the 270, I just never would drop my money on one.

JP-

There's some merit to that. There are some guys who will tell you that the can't run the bolt on a long action without busting themselves in the face with it. I don't have that problem on any of my long actions, but the LOP on my stocks are all long because I'm pretty tall and have very long arms (ape-ish actually).

To counter that, a lot of times I see guys who'll swear that's the reason that they don't like long actions in general but after every shot on their short action they pull their head off the stock anyway.