• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 recipes specifically for SCAR-17S?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Anyone have any good SCAR-specific recipes?

I finally got my Scar out and with 'junk' ammo that I pulled from a belt that happened to be nearby... it was shooting 1/2" at 50 yds as I was rough sighting it in (getting the scope on paper). Was even using the magazine as a rest! Bad form. But good enough to get it on paper.

I think this rifle has the potential to be a real tack driver once I get a bipod on it and put some good ammo in it. And I figure someone here has a good formula already worked out.

Cheers,

Sirhr

LC Match, 175 Sierra Match SBTHP, Match primer, seated to 2.800" on top of 4895 powder. I forgot the grains and won't print here until I look at my notebook.

But I am pretty happy with this 50 yard test. Nothing fancy, just to confirm it's on paper still. 5 shots and then a quick scope adjust and two more before I move out to 200.

SCAR 17S with Giselle trigger group and USO 1 - 4X USMC model with circledot reticle. Prone, no bag or bipod. Just resting the front gangsta grip on the ground.

1590436842718.png

I think I can dial it in further. I only loaded up 100 test rounds. But this ain't bad for a semi-auto! SCAR's are pretty darn accurate gas guns! Of course 50 yds doesn't do much for wringing out a load or a platform. But I see potential when I move out next weekend on the range!

If anyone else has any good loads, I am happy to experiment!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: CLEANDEAN
i've always heard that the 1:12 twist rate will limit you to 168gr SMK, or maybe 175gr SMK and works best with a very short jump.

You heard wrong my 12 twist would throw 190smks to a grand w/o issue.
cool beans. i'll take the word of somebody that is shooting them (i am limited to common factory offerings).
even from the shorter 17S barrel?

Re-jet it with a 1.35 port hole and load 44g Varget under a 175k SMK. That netted me the best accuracy and the right amount of gas.
I have not shot Varget before... I find that 4895 is a great accuracy powder but pretty dirty. Is Varget cleaner?

I shoot 4895 in my TRG and the accuracy is amazing. Shoots 1/3moa pretty consistently with 168's and fire formed BH Match brass. But not sure it's a good gas gun powder.

My only other .308 auto's are an AR10 built for Match that is... adequate. Well, not adequate. Which is why I rarely shoot it any more. And a FAL. Which is a superb shooter. But not in match category. It will digest anything.

A cleaner powder would be nice!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I have not shot Varget before... I find that 4895 is a great accuracy powder but pretty dirty. Is Varget cleaner?

I shoot 4895 in my TRG and the accuracy is amazing. Shoots 1/3moa pretty consistently with 168's and fire formed BH Match brass. But not sure it's a good gas gun powder.

I have always had very good results with Varget in gas guns... its a "go to" for accurate loads in .308 and .223. In .308 loads I have never seen it run dirty. In .223, I have seen it be filthy... I have no idea why.

4895 has also been a great powder.. I've run it in everything from .260 for a gas gun to .308 for M1A & Garand loads, and .30-06.

Honestly.. start low, and load up some test rounds ladder style, and which gives you the best result with your chosen bullet. Both of those powders have great potential.